HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:11 PM
United States, VT, Colchester
Joined May 2011
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
If you downloaded the Scimitar file from Horizon for your DX8, it's on the "mix-hold" button.
Until you change it
supertoyz is offline Find More Posts by supertoyz
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2012, 03:45 AM
half-ass Astronaut
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertoyz View Post
Until you change it
but why would we want to change it?
jdubg23 is offline Find More Posts by jdubg23
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:46 AM
United States, VT, Colchester
Joined May 2011
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubg23 View Post
but why would we want to change it?
Personal preference. I usually just try to simplify mine and make most of my models somewhat similiar so that I don't get confused which switch does what when I'm switching back and forth between 20+ models. On my scimitar I moved the VT to my flight modes so that FM2 is full rates with VT on. Gear is retracts and Hold/Mix is throttle hold so I don't have to worry about bumping the throttle when I'm carrying the plane. I typically always have the hold as throttle hold, gear as my first accessory such as retracts, lights, stabilization etc. Then I try to make the most of the Flight modes by integrating gyro's or VT into a specific flight mode instead of having to control it separatly. It all comes down to preference and with so many different models with different features I need them as similiar as possible or I'd never remember which switch did what.
supertoyz is offline Find More Posts by supertoyz
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:07 PM
half-ass Astronaut
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
suppose that makes sense... i just so happened to have an f18 with TV stock on the same switch so it just worked...
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:23 PM
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
Joined Jan 2004
640 Posts
Heard from Horizon today on my scimitar. They noted no defects but I don't even think the NTSB could figure out what happened. I still think it was the BEC.

Anyway they are sending me a new one as well as retracts. The replacement is getting a Castle BEC. Their customer service is top notch! First time I have ever sent a plane back to anyone.
pylot2b is offline Find More Posts by pylot2b
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:42 PM
United States, CA, Diamond Bar
Joined Jul 2011
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubg23 View Post
i recently sold an eflite 1010kv motor off the scimitar. the guy put it in a p51and runs it on 5s, no big deal. says its the fastest one at his field(only if you plan on adding retracts)
I wonder if it's the guy I know that fly's an E-Flite P-51B at Whittier Narrows in southern California? He built his plane about 3-4 weeks ago and uses an E-Flite Power 32 1010kv. That thing is super fast for such a big heavy warbird. I swear it must be going ~80 mph on the straight passes!
Gamerjoe is offline Find More Posts by Gamerjoe
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:40 AM
Joined Feb 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanordave View Post
I've worked it quite hard and its doing fine..gut feeling is its the same servo w/a different label..

Like I said, I have a 2nd PZ servo that I was going to put in to keep them matched but it seems to behave identical to the EFlite so didn't bother.
I beleive they are the same servo. When you go to the support tab for the replacement servo gear set they have a PZ part # unless they've changed the specs for E-Flite.

Incidentally, should you ever strip a servo gear, don't bother ordering the replacement gear set. I have two Carbon-Z Yaks (same servos) and put one in hard, stripped three servos, ordered the replacement gear sets only to find out that it just comes with the three metal gears and not the nylon gear that's stripped on every one of them. Called HH support and found out the only option is to replace the servo. why not make a "FULL UPPER GEAR SET" like everyone else does. You'll never damage the metal gears!
Torotim is offline Find More Posts by Torotim
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:15 AM
Joined Feb 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmartin View Post
You have to remember that many people visiting these forums are here because of a problem. I am sure there are 100's of these planes that have flown well with no issues and we don't hear about them.

I have read of many problems with the Carbon Z Yak. I have two of them totally stock with many, many flights all with original equipment and no failures. Sometimes paying too much attention to these forums can lead to paranoia and anticipation of problems that probably will not be encountered. Just my opinion of course folks. I am sure there are some legitimate issues and from my experience Horizon Hobbies will go above and beyond what they should be expected to do. I have no affiliation with them. I am just a very satisfied customer of theirs and I have a good share of their models that you can put an electric motor in.
Thanks! I was thinking the same thing. I have a couple C-Z Yaks and love'em. I had servo issues as well but can't blame the plane as I dumb thumbed it in at high speed, did a quick glue fix and took off without checking the servos good enough and had one lock up because of the nylon teeth floating around the metal gears.

I started reading this thread because I just picked up a Scimitar and wanted to find some outside opinions on JR Tx settings after it's been flown. I fly gint scale (30%-35%) and have the C-Z Yaks and now the Scimitar to take out my frustrations at a lower cost than a 35% Carden Extra, or for when I don't have time to load up the gassers for a quick run to the field and have to spend 15 min. on assembly.

After reading this thread, I am considering upgrading the servos (Hitec MG's of course) and maybe a prop change. But yup....if I didn't know how the forums usually go and was a newcomer to high performance electric flight, I would run like hell from something like this back to my E-Flite Apprentice or similar.

I love what some of you guru's are doing for hop-ups and hope you keep posting results. But there is always failures and Horizon needs to stand behind their product.....but as stated before most of these issues are isolated and maybe not the norm. I realize when this product was developed QQ wasn't looking at speed records, he wanted to come up with something that was outside the normal flight envelope of flat out speed. Pinwheels, bizzare flat-spins and crazy tumbles! But as I said, I "LOVE IT" when guys push it to the limit and do freaky mods, and the guys doing it know they voided warranty the second they altered it and would do it again in a second if it cooked in mid-flight at a bizzillion mph.

Great thread though! And thanks to some of you guys for saving me some set-up time by posting mix values and differential values. I'm setting up my new 11X and seriously wish HH would post downloadable programming for those as well, but that would probably make me lazy and not learn the new Tx.
Torotim is offline Find More Posts by Torotim
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:25 AM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylot2b View Post
Heard from Horizon today on my scimitar. They noted no defects but I don't even think the NTSB could figure out what happened. I still think it was the BEC.

Anyway they are sending me a new one as well as retracts. The replacement is getting a Castle BEC. Their customer service is top notch! First time I have ever sent a plane back to anyone.
I don't think they would admit anything if they found it. Glad to hear you got a new plane.
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:56 AM
Fly Every Day
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined Apr 2001
801 Posts
The last time I went flying, earlier this week, when I got home and unloaded the van I found an extra screw laying on the floor. I flew my Carbon Z Yak this morning and discovered where it came from. Shortly into the first flight this morning I lost a wing. I got inverted and into a flat inverted spin and it landed softly with one wing. NO damage if you can believe it. Put the wing back on and flew again. I have two of these, one North and one South. Many, many flights on both of them and no problems. Still my favorite plane especially on windy or bad days.
pmmartin is offline Find More Posts by pmmartin
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:37 PM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,407 Posts
WELL iam a new
SCIMTAR owner , putting it together as i type. i was woundering with folks using futaba radios how do you set up the vector thrust, also can a person use a 10x7 prop . cant wait to get it in the air.
scottc39 is online now Find More Posts by scottc39
Last edited by scottc39; Feb 17, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:59 PM
half-ass Astronaut
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
anyone else been working on flat spins? i have been having trouble getting into it.... but i think i found a little something yesterday, it seems to wana spin better with right rudder input as opposed to left. it also seemed to like just a touch of same direction aileron to hold the spin. i had it goin so fast it was traveling sideways once!! i will try to get a vid on here soon
Old Feb 17, 2012, 05:31 PM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,407 Posts
i have another question .... how do you know if the center of gravity is correct with this plane.????
scottc39 is online now Find More Posts by scottc39
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:47 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc39 View Post
i have another question .... how do you know if the center of gravity is correct with this plane.????
I guess it's like any other plane. You set it up as per the manual, balance it according to what they publish, then go fly it. Get it up really high and be ready to apply compensating trim. If it flies more or less straight and level with very little trim "hands off", I suppose it was "correct".
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Feb 18, 2012, 05:14 AM
half-ass Astronaut
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
I guess it's like any other plane. You set it up as per the manual, balance it according to what they publish, then go fly it. Get it up really high and be ready to apply compensating trim. If it flies more or less straight and level with very little trim "hands off", I suppose it was "correct".
ditto, you may also want to fly inverted after you have it trimmed... see how it behaves then