HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2012, 05:04 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,009 Posts
I put HS MG 65's in mine. It flys fine now.
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2012, 09:43 AM
United States, NJ, Freehold Township
Joined May 2009
357 Posts
I love the look of this plane but so many problems are keeping me from pulling the trigger on a purchase. The main problems that are of most concern is a) bad motors and servos b) the elevons separating from the wings c) esc cuts out b) it can't fly off grass e) its difficult to land. I also have the Stryker f27q and had it for 6 months before I flew it. I waited because of all the problems I read with hand launching and the clevis coming loose on the control rod. Mine was loose as well and replaced with aftermarket ones. I did a side toss on the first flight and it flew great. On the second flight I hand tossed same way and it went into the grass with just a broken prop. Anyone have any thouts on this post. Also does anyone know where to put a tow hook on the f27? Sorry to makecmention of a different plane on this post but you guys sound like you are very knowledgeable. Thanks.
crashkorey is offline Find More Posts by crashkorey
Old Feb 07, 2012, 09:48 AM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,700 Posts
Crashkorey, just keep in mind that the pilots who don't experience problems aren't posting here, they are flying! That includes me. No equipment problems. Learned how to land it after a few flights. It's not a "miracle plane", but if you like the type, it's a solid value.
Robert Stinson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Stinson
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:01 AM
United States, MD, Clinton
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
exactly. Almost all the post in these threads are going to be some kind of fixing/modding as the others are flying or looking at performance upgrades/etc. I have been thinking of this plane as well but ended up getting the habu 32 for a deal but almost all these planes always have the landing gear issue. The other things could be building issues or something else. It looks pretty decent though, but of course I don't own one so just something to keep in mind.
houstonderk is offline Find More Posts by houstonderk
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:07 AM
Fly Every Day
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined Apr 2001
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Stinson View Post
Crashkorey, just keep in mind that the pilots who don't experience problems aren't posting here, they are flying! That includes me. No equipment problems. Learned how to land it after a few flights. It's not a "miracle plane", but if you like the type, it's a solid value.
I think folks lose site of the fact that if you have no problems there is little motivation to be posting here. My bet, based on extensive experience with HH planes, is that most of them are flying fine and have few issues.
pmmartin is offline Find More Posts by pmmartin
Old Feb 07, 2012, 05:09 PM
half-ass Astronaut
United States, FL, Largo
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
ive had my share of issues with this plane but it wouldnt stop me from buying again... and by the way, the eflite motors are bulletproof, the servos are above average, and a $25 bec will give you insurance if you dont like the esc... i recently sold and eflite 1010kv motor off the scimitar. the guy put it in a p51and runs it on 5s, no big deal. says its the fastes one at his field there is really only one major issue as far as i can see. if you have retracts, you need to have a 7 channel rx so you can put steering and rudders on seperate channels to prevent binding of the ng servo. thats it, just buy the PNP.....(only if you plan on adding retracts)
jdubg23 is offline Find More Posts by jdubg23
Old Feb 07, 2012, 09:54 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,818 Posts
I have not had any issues with Eflite motors or servos on this, or any other plane from Horizon, and I have A LOT!!! Includes the Parkzone, H9, Blade, and UM stuff too. I have had some hardware missing, but Horizon customer service has always made good on that.

But it is always good to hear the problems, so we can help each other work them out.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:41 PM
Fly Fast!
scotia ,NY
Joined Jul 2008
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashkorey View Post
I love the look of this plane but so many problems are keeping me from pulling the trigger on a purchase. The main problems that are of most concern is a) bad motors and servos b) the elevons separating from the wings c) esc cuts out b) it can't fly off grass e) its difficult to land. I also have the Stryker f27q and had it for 6 months before I flew it. I waited because of all the problems I read with hand launching and the clevis coming loose on the control rod. Mine was loose as well and replaced with aftermarket ones. I did a side toss on the first flight and it flew great. On the second flight I hand tossed same way and it went into the grass with just a broken prop. Anyone have any thouts on this post. Also does anyone know where to put a tow hook on the f27? Sorry to makecmention of a different plane on this post but you guys sound like you are very knowledgeable. Thanks.
Bad motors...?
Im running 5S on it 1400watts ,10 flights on 5S and its and totally fine,
oh also no servo problems either,
flyies like a dream!!
dbgood is offline Find More Posts by dbgood
Old Feb 08, 2012, 05:52 AM
half-ass Astronaut
United States, FL, Largo
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
well said, i have had many horizon planes as well (t28 trojan, p-47, habu, eflite carbon z's both scimitar and yak 54) not to mention the dozens at our local flying field. these things are awesome, and fly that way right out of the box... i wanted to say something about the whole elevon coming off in flight thing. i just dont buy it, no offense dude. but im pretty sure it "popped" off when it slammed into the ground. these hinges snap on and off, but it aint easy...
jdubg23 is offline Find More Posts by jdubg23
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:12 AM
United States, NJ, Freehold Township
Joined May 2009
357 Posts
I'll probably buy one. Can anyone recommend what bec to get and where is it wired? Also a cool hint for you guys to protect the foam on planes is to get self laminating sheets from staples. It's like packing tape but larger surface area. It takes some time but it prevents lots of hangar rash and makes the plane fly faster because of less friction of air over foam. Thanks for all your replie and help.
crashkorey is offline Find More Posts by crashkorey
Old Feb 08, 2012, 05:37 PM
buffalo n.y.
Joined Jul 2009
70 Posts
i have a dx8 radio ,is there a switch to stop vectored-thrust movement,
just want to take off and land without it then fly with it
sparky210 is offline Find More Posts by sparky210
Old Feb 08, 2012, 05:43 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky210 View Post
I asked this same question not long ago. It's the top right rear button ("mix-hold").
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Feb 08, 2012, 05:46 PM
buffalo n.y.
Joined Jul 2009
70 Posts
thanks xviper
sparky210 is offline Find More Posts by sparky210
Old Feb 08, 2012, 09:37 PM
Joined May 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky210 View Post
You can assign it to whatever switch is more comfortable for you. I set mine up on the flight modes. N is low rates, 1 is high rates, 2 is high rates with VT on. I take off and land in normal mode and play around in the air with FM 1 and 2.
supertoyz is offline Find More Posts by supertoyz
Old Feb 08, 2012, 09:42 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,163 Posts
If you downloaded the Scimitar file from Horizon for your DX8, it's on the "mix-hold" button.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper