SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:59 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,834 Posts
DX7 manual (page 21-22)

SmartSafeTM Failsafe
The AR7000 features the SmartSafe failsafe system. SmartSafe:
Prevents unintentional electric motor response on start-up.
Eliminates the possibility of overdriving servos on start-up.
Establishes low-throttle failsafe if the RF signal is lost.
Maintains last-commanded control surface position in the event of RF link interruption.
Note: Failsafe positions are stored via the stick and switch positions on the transmitter during binding.

------

Maintains last-commanded control surface position in the event of RF link interruption.
(guys, I believe this part may be referring to last command/stick positions as you complete the bind).

Note: Failsafe positions are stored via the stick and switch positions on the transmitter during binding.

----------
In previous post I simplified by just saying ....rebind.
I rebind after initial setup.
I rebind after fully trimming planes.
I rebind after significant changes (as stated in posts above).

Good luck to everyone and their prefered methods.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 02:55 AM
half-ass Astronaut
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
this is what i was taught, thanks for clearing that up
jdubg23 is offline Find More Posts by jdubg23
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Jul 2006
11 Posts
Bad eflite esc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50mph View Post
Well I was enjoying this. On my 7thy flight the ESC went out and did a nose dive.
I was coming around the corner at about half throttle and then as I finished the turn I went to 3/4 throttle and all I heard was the power increase, then it stopped and nosedived into the ground.
I was just starting to really like they way it was flying.
The fuse was a total loss, wings are slightly danged but maybe could be used again, rudders seem to be ok, not too much damage.
I have owned, and still do own E-Flight 60amp ESC, never had a problem with any of them. Guess I found one that just wasn't up t the job. I have read here that others have experienced problems with E-Flight 60amp ESC, mostly the BNF or PNP versions, not sure why. Well I now know and have experienced that issue.
Sad, 7 flights and its gone. I was really starting to like this. I am not sure if I will get a airframe and re build. All the servos and motor seem to be working, the prop even survived.
If I could turn back time I would have swapped the ESC and used a Castle. Still it was fun flying the Scimitar.
I have a Scimitar and a Stryker F27Q. The Stryker has an E-flite 40 amp ESC. I flew it twice, each belly landing at slow speed on grass without a scratch, then I had two failed hand tosses into grass, one without a scratch and one with minor nose damage. That's it! That's the planes entire history. After the second failed hand launch, the ESC just quit dead cold. I called HH and after quite a bit of resistance, they sent me a new ESC. However I was told this was an exception (because I'm a high dollar customer) and that once an ESC is connected to a battery THERE IS NO WARRANTY. The rep I spoke to was very nice and intelligent, but stood his ground. It doesn't make sense to me because the packaging on E-flite's ESC's says "1 year warranty", but against what?

So I hope you do get a new plane as the next post suggests, but it doesn't seem likely after what I experienced. Now I'm afraid to fly my Scimitar. Do you or anybody out there know that E-flite ESC's have problems and/or that Castle or any other brand are more reliable??
ricodap is offline Find More Posts by ricodap
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:26 AM
Die Meistertinkerer
United States, GA, Columbus
Joined Jan 2006
486 Posts
I think its time to install seperate BECs in these things, so if the ESC dumps, we still have control. I havent checked the amp draw, but I wonder if its pushing the limits of the 60amp ESC.
Frankensteen is offline Find More Posts by Frankensteen
Old Feb 01, 2012, 04:13 PM
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Mar 2011
7 Posts
Wow!!

Im gonna add to the woes of this tread. I love everything about the Scimitar but my 3rd flight! This morning was perfect for flying. I did preflight checks and everything seem working just fine. So I took off down the run way and had good thrust. I started to make my second turn and notice a serious loss of power! I had to do a crazy emergency landing. I ripped off the front retract, damaged the nose, and some wing damage. I took it to the LHS that I bought it from and it was determined that the motor is SHOT! WOW 3 flights and less than 9 mins of flight time and this is what happens! SAD SAD DAY so Im sending it back to them and I hope they make it right but WOW again the shipping is gonna cost BIG TIME! Come on Horrizon Hobby Customer Support dont let me down!
t_austin is offline Find More Posts by t_austin
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:33 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,306 Posts
Yeh !!!!
Finally had a decent flying day here in Perth and I got to maiden my Scimitar.

Well it flys excellent.

Only a little bit of trimming needed. I had 3 flights today.

Speed gun result was 187Kmh on a slope pass and 157Kmh on a level pass with no wind all stock and retracts.

With WOT landed after 4min 30 sec and had 20% left in the stock lipo.

I will post a video later today.

I do agree that for the sake of about $25 for a top notch BEC it is a very good investment. Should have come standard with this plane.
rcpilot23 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot23
Last edited by rcpilot23; Feb 02, 2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:21 PM
half-ass Astronaut
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilot23 View Post
Yeh !!!!
Finally had a decent flying day here in Perth and I got to maiden my Scimitar.

Well it flys excellent.

Only a little bit of trimming needed. I had 3 flights today.

Speed gun result was 187Kmh on a slope pass and 157Kmh on a level pass with no wind all stock and retracts.

With WOT landed after 4min 30 sec and had 20% left in the stock lipo.

I will post a video later today.

I do agree that for the sake of about $25 for a top notch BEC it is a very good investment. Should have come standard with this plane.
did u ever upgrade the elevon servos?
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:30 PM
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
Joined Jan 2004
612 Posts
Still haven't heard the final verdict on my Scimitar. Horizon has it and I guess the take a week or so before they decide.
pylot2b is offline Find More Posts by pylot2b
Old Feb 04, 2012, 12:01 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubg23 View Post
did u ever upgrade the elevon servos?
Nope I have left it all stock. Done 6 flights so far with perfect landings too.

The Eflite retracts are working great and I have no binding issue with the nose strut.

The only thing I need to do is make a hole close to the centre of the nose wheel steering servo arm to stop the pushrod bending if I increase the rudder travel. No rush as it works fine atm.

Flys like a big Stryker and I'm very happy with it.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:34 AM
Fly Every Day
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined Apr 2001
801 Posts
You have to remember that many people visiting these forums are here because of a problem. I am sure there are 100's of these planes that have flown well with no issues and we don't hear about them.

I have read of many problems with the Carbon Z Yak. I have two of them totally stock with many, many flights all with original equipment and no failures. Sometimes paying too much attention to these forums can lead to paranoia and anticipation of problems that probably will not be encountered. Just my opinion of course folks. I am sure there are some legitimate issues and from my experience Horizon Hobbies will go above and beyond what they should be expected to do. I have no affiliation with them. I am just a very satisfied customer of theirs and I have a good share of their models that you can put an electric motor in.
pmmartin is offline Find More Posts by pmmartin
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:10 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmartin View Post
You have to remember that many people visiting these forums are here because of a problem. I am sure there are 100's of these planes that have flown well with no issues and we don't hear about them.

I have read of many problems with the Carbon Z Yak. I have two of them totally stock with many, many flights all with original equipment and no failures. Sometimes paying too much attention to these forums can lead to paranoia and anticipation of problems that probably will not be encountered. Just my opinion of course folks. I am sure there are some legitimate issues and from my experience Horizon Hobbies will go above and beyond what they should be expected to do. I have no affiliation with them. I am just a very satisfied customer of theirs and I have a good share of their models that you can put an electric motor in.
Yes I have the Carbon Z Yak too

another local flyer and I have only had the motor mount break.
He has had a motor fail and servo too.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:24 PM
Fly Fast!
scotia ,NY
Joined Jul 2008
627 Posts
Quote:

Yes u are very right...i have my Scimitar,no problem with servos or anything
and i fly hard...plus im running 5S on mine and motor is running great ,im pumping way more watts then the stock 4S setup!!
dbgood is offline Find More Posts by dbgood
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:53 PM
half-ass Astronaut
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
Quote:

+1 and the carbon yak is a great plane as well
Old Feb 06, 2012, 04:49 AM
half-ass Astronaut
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
this thread needs a little bump, i will be going down to the LHS today for replacement elevon servos.... i am thinking HS-82mg's, we will see what they say? or if it fits
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:49 AM
half-ass Astronaut
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubg23 View Post
this thread needs a little bump, i will be going down to the LHS today for replacement elevon servos.... i am thinking HS-82mg's, we will see what they say? or if it fits
the 82mgs were just barely too big to fit in the factory servo tray. i didnt feel like making custom ones so i just bought another eflite servo.... i did however, install a cc bec last night