SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:22 AM
Kannapolis, NC
Joined Nov 2007
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioa View Post
+1

This has been my experience/thoughts as well. I have other delta wings and the approach described is the way to do it. At first, I approached the landings like a normal landing, but then you remember that this is a delta wing, and landings are slightly different, not difficult. The low rates on this plane really are too high for your initial "getting acquainted" flights. So dialing them back a bit is good. Take your time getting acquainted with it.

Nick

Cut back some more on low rates, added a little more expo and really tried to keep it in the air as long as possible on landings. Things looking a whole lot better now. Did about 15 landing yesterday this thing really glides longer than I thought keeping it up till the last 6" or so took the bounce out. Thanks for the info.
dtacmed is offline Find More Posts by dtacmed
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:13 PM
Geneva, IL
Joined Jul 2007
1,506 Posts
Nice - gonna try the KE mixes and the landing tips for next outting. Here in N IL...who knows when that'll be.

I'm used to darting my FJ in big speedy circlesand not having the option for rudder...gotta make the mental adjustment. Should be fun trying.

Thanks for the advice!
CFisher1421 is offline Find More Posts by CFisher1421
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:24 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
just flew mine this morning for the first time and it was so mush fun ! the speed is very unimpressive for some one that is used to something that does 120+ but it really is not meant for speed. the areobitics were very fun and it really slows down nicely for landings I was using a 3300 4s turnigy and had it right at the nose seam where it bolts to the fuse and it flew and landed just fine. I give it two thumbs up
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
Old Jan 08, 2012, 04:10 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc230266 View Post
I'm having real trouble getting the plane to balance with the recomended COG. With everything stock, electric retracts (up) and E-flite 4S 3200mAh battery, it will not balance with the battery fully forward with the COG 560mm (middle of range) from the tip of the nose.

Reef_RC, a see in the photo's on your post #523, your COG marks look a lot further back than mine. What COG are you using? My COG marks (560mm) from nose) are about level with the back end of the cut-out for the ESC switch in the receiver hatch.

Any help would be appreciated.
djc230266 - my CG is position 1 inch (25 mm) back from the recommendation and battery placement is similar to tclaridge. You can see in the pics below where mine (white circle with no mark) is compare to the recommended CG (circle with black mark). I am not sure if it's an error in the documentation but I've tried two scimitars with identical stock setup and both have the same CG issue using the recommended measurements. Maybe the measurements assumed retracts were installed

This has work good for me. Hardly any elevator trim is needed (7 clicks down). On mine, I occassionally pull the battery slightly back to set the trim back to neutral.

Hope the pics help.

when you say retracts are "up" - I assumed you mean wheels and retracts are extended out like for landing and not up like after take-off.
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Old Jan 08, 2012, 06:19 PM
United Kingdom, Inverness
Joined Jul 2011
53 Posts
Reef_RC, that for taking the time to respond and for the extra photo's, much appreciated. As I thought from your original photo, your COG is further back than recommended. How did you determined your COG, through flight test or calculation?

After not being able to balance the plane, I wouldn't have enough confidence to do a maiden with the COG beyond the upper recommended range, incase it was tail heavy and un-flyable. I've got a couple of Rhino 3700mAh 4S kicking around, which do give me a balanced plane at 560mm, so I'm going to use them.

Retracts up, I mean retracted up into the wings, i.e. normal flight condition. I thought you always had to balance a plane with the retracts up, as you wanted it balanced in flight mode and not for take-off/landing?
djc230266 is offline Find More Posts by djc230266
Old Jan 08, 2012, 07:54 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,978 Posts
I have the same battery as reef_rc, and in the same place. Verified good CG with flight test (45 deg inverted climb test) and NASA calculation and matches the middle of the CG ranged from the manual.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Jan 08, 2012, 10:17 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,317 Posts
Does the canopy fly off like the Habu ?

Looks like the same design
rcpilot23 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot23
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:20 PM
United States, VT, Colchester
Joined May 2011
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilot23 View Post
Does the canopy fly off like the Habu ?

Looks like the same design
Much stronger magnets than the Habu uses, it takes a pretty firm pull the get the canopy off the Scimitar.

So I maidened my Scimitar today....love the plane, hate the retracts. Build quality is the nicest I've seen. I'm so tired of having to epoxy on wings, it's nice to be able to replace parts if they are needed. I bought one of the Sebart Mig 29's which cost almost twice as much as the Scimitar and doesn't have half of the quality. Everything fits well, is rugged, modular, well built and well thought out. I had to fly it off of a soccer field with 1" of icy, crusty snow and it took off quickly and smoothly. It flew great and landed smoothly with now bounce. My only complaint would be the prop, I balanced it as best I could but I still can feel some vibration if you put your hand on the fuselage and run up the throttle on the bench. If having a balanced prop is so important I'd have been happy to pay a few bucks more for a high quality balanced prop. Now the retracts....the units themselves are fine it's the crappy struts I've got an issue with. The flat spot on the nose gear srut was so far off the it put the bend in the strut at a 45 degree angle across the opening of the retract hole. And then then don't give you flat spots on the rear set. Not that it's hard to grind a flat spot but it is hard to get it in the right orientation. I'd have been much happier to have spent $9.95 on a set up struts made correctly for the Scimitar than have had to screw around with them for 2+ hours bending, twisting, trying and then bending and twisting some more. I didn't even try them on the maiden today because I feared the icy snow might rip the axles right off the strut. At least on the stock gear the axle is bent right into the bottom of the strut. On the retracts they use that stupid axle shaft with the two set screws. That might be ok on pavement but I'm not convinced it will hold up on grass. I might have to make something with the axle bent right into the shaft. Other than that the plane seems really nice.
supertoyz is offline Find More Posts by supertoyz
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:31 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc230266 View Post
How did you determined your COG, through flight test or calculation?
Flight intuitions . Maybe living close to sea level affects CG

Actually i have flown too many flights to count at this settings. I got in three flights and a dozen with my others planes today since it was such a great day. I understand the concerns...300-400 reasons to be exact . Good luck with your decisions.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:34 AM
United Kingdom, Inverness
Joined Jul 2011
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
I have the same battery as reef_rc, and in the same place. Verified good CG with flight test (45 deg inverted climb test) and NASA calculation and matches the middle of the CG ranged from the manual.
Hi tclaridge, I'm obviously having a slow day today, because I'm still not exactly understanding what you are saying. I think what you are saying is;

You are using a CG which is about 1" further back that the maximum stated in the manual. You verified this during flight test.

You also say that you verified the CG range in the manual is correct using NASA calculation.

So the mid point of the CG range in the manual is about 1.5" foward of what you are using?

So the bit I don't get is that why if the recommended range in the manual is correct, does the plane fly best with a CG beyond the upper recommended limit? Surely, the CG range in the manual is therefore wrong?
djc230266 is offline Find More Posts by djc230266
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:54 PM
Pat M
Wolf Lake Alaska
Joined Feb 2006
61 Posts
Grass operation with retracts

Have there been problems off grass runways with the landing gear ?.??
n411x is offline Find More Posts by n411x
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:43 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,976 Posts
I'll bet the Scimitar becomes a lawn mower.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:30 AM
Kannapolis, NC
Joined Nov 2007
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n411x View Post
Have there been problems off grass runways with the landing gear ?.??
Unless its mowed short you chop the weeds or wild onions here in NC. Takes off fine though. As stated in earlier post use packing tape on the inside of the rudders and lower vertical stabilizers to protect them.
dtacmed is offline Find More Posts by dtacmed
Old Jan 10, 2012, 08:46 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
I use a different approach instead of packing tape - thin layer of epoxy on the inside of the rudder, top and bottom portion both for stiffness and protection. I am occassionaly clumsy and occasionally bump the top rudder. This helps keep the top rudder ridge from the minor bumps.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:36 AM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
well I was having a ball doing flatspins and was mezerized, then reality struck. I was way to low and didn't have enough altitude to pull up and it pancaked but only cracked the plastic fin, nose popped off and broke the prop. so I just got the new prop in per horizons website part # "EFLP1008E 10X8 Electric Propeller: C-Z Scimitar " and it's a black 10x8 prop but with out the funny looking "EARS on the hub. oh well it will work.
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
Last edited by hotdog1; Jan 10, 2012 at 09:41 AM.