SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 19, 2011, 09:27 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcessna View Post
I do find the shape and colors hard to orient. I am not sure there is any better option but the triangle in the sky is tough to follow when it is spinning like a top.
anyone else experiencing this? Curious what others have tried in terms of color and paint schema. I've on multiple occassions had to quickly figured the planes orientation during turns and rolls. Typically I don't have issues with F27Q but this big bird seems to cause me to do double take on occasions. I hate to paint over a good design and color schema but I am leaning toward that direction to avoid uncesssary aggravation or a potential crash. I have a particular desgin in mind (similiar to yak 54). Just curious if others have already did it and if so, can you post to help inspire
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2011, 04:03 AM
half-ass Astronaut
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...490761&page=17

Already answered on Nov 29, post 249, which I think is the same page as the question you quoted.
i called Horizon and they said the 1150kv motor is all they show for EFLM7400 and it appears to be an upgrade...
jdubg23 is offline Find More Posts by jdubg23
Last edited by jdubg23; Dec 20, 2011 at 06:14 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:10 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubg23 View Post
i called Horizon and they said the 1150kv motor is all they show for EFLM7400 and it appears to be an upgrade...
No, the manual is correct. The web was wrong but has been corrected.

There is only one Scimitar motor and it is 1010 Kv.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:22 AM
No meat = no pudding
Machesney Park, IL
Joined Jul 2008
1,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
anyone else experiencing this? Curious what others have tried in terms of color and paint schema. I've on multiple occassions had to quickly figured the planes orientation during turns and rolls. Typically I don't have issues with F27Q but this big bird seems to cause me to do double take on occasions. I hate to paint over a good design and color schema but I am leaning toward that direction to avoid uncesssary aggravation or a potential crash. I have a particular desgin in mind (similiar to yak 54). Just curious if others have already did it and if so, can you post to help inspire
Just a suggestion, I've used wide Ultracote trim tape (6 inches wide) on the bottoms of some of my planes which works pretty well and is simple to do. It's also easy to take back off if you don't like it (although it might take some of the original paint with it). On the bottom of my Radian wings, I used 3 different colors of 6" wide trim tape on each wing making sort of a "V" pointing toward the nose. A combination of florescent green, black, and yellow is what I used, but there's a bunch of colors to choose from and it's very easy to work with. I can now see the orientation of my Radian up to about 2,000 feet. I don't know if that's going to help you with orientation while the Scimitar's spinning in a boomerang, but might be useful otherwise.
brwilkins is offline Find More Posts by brwilkins
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:03 PM
half-ass Astronaut
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
No, the manual is correct. The web was wrong but has been corrected.

There is only one Scimitar motor and it is 1010 Kv.
its was never in the manual, i called horizon myself and spoke to two different people who could only tell me otherwise... I can forward you the email of my order confirmation that says 1150kv. Said motor will arrive tomorrow. i shall reserve judgement til then. and there is also this

http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/aeroon..._eflm7400.html

look under the specs motor size
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...r-pnp-EFL10175
Last edited by jdubg23; Dec 20, 2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 01:31 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubg23 View Post
its was never in the manual, i called horizon myself and spoke to two different people who could only tell me otherwise... I can forward you the email of my order confirmation that says 1150kv. Said motor will arrive tomorrow. i shall reserve judgement til then. and there is also this

http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/aeroon..._eflm7400.html

look under the specs motor size
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...r-pnp-EFL10175
I apologize for the confusing information. We have corrected the specs for the BNF, but apparently failed to correct the PNP:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...r-pnp-EFL10180

I will let the web team know.

Page 3 of the manual correctly lists the motor as 1010 Kv, as well as the product page on horizonhobby.com for the replacement motor:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...010kv-EFLM7400

Since you're referencing the hh.co.uk website, I take it you're in the UK?

My department represents the source of the information - product development. The information you received is downstream of that source, whether it was consumer sales in the US or anybody at Horizon UK. If there is a typo on the web that we didn't catch, then that is the information the people you talked to will have and they will not know any better.

So I repeat, the Scimitar motor is 1010 Kv, not 1150. The information stating 1150 is incorrect.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:49 AM
Fast? I got something 4 ya!
United States, WI, Oak Creek
Joined Oct 2007
2,518 Posts
Thanks for the update.

casey
XtremeWingRC is offline Find More Posts by XtremeWingRC
Old Dec 21, 2011, 04:26 AM
half-ass Astronaut
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
well thats crummy for me... i thought i was getting a hotter motor
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:49 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brwilkins View Post
Just a suggestion, I've used wide Ultracote trim tape (6 inches wide) on the bottoms of some of my planes which works pretty well and is simple to do. It's also easy to take back off if you don't like it (although it might take some of the original paint with it). On the bottom of my Radian wings, I used 3 different colors of 6" wide trim tape on each wing making sort of a "V" pointing toward the nose. A combination of florescent green, black, and yellow is what I used, but there's a bunch of colors to choose from and it's very easy to work with. I can now see the orientation of my Radian up to about 2,000 feet. I don't know if that's going to help you with orientation while the Scimitar's spinning in a boomerang, but might be useful otherwise.
thx brwilkins. I plan do something similiar underneath similar to what you said expect with a more up and down design (with trim tape).

I had 2 flights again yesterday (partially cloudy) before sunset with my back toward the sun and again experienced very minor instances where I couldn't tell plane direction on turns. Hopefully additional design and color will help. I also believe it might just be just because of the plane shape (having three sides looking very similar).
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:52 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
better prop

Anyone tried different prop? After a few more flights yesterday, I just think a different prop could give it some additional needed punch.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:18 AM
half-ass Astronaut
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
Anyone tried different prop? After a few more flights yesterday, I just think a different prop could give it some additional needed punch.
i tried apc 10x7e, was a tad slower than stock i think... love your name by the way
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:59 AM
Kannapolis, NC
Joined Nov 2007
186 Posts
Anyone set one up yet on the DX7s
dtacmed is offline Find More Posts by dtacmed
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:32 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,120 Posts
I did a static run with a 5S 3000 40C battery today. The numbers are: 1420 watts, 68 amps

I am planning on swapping the ESC out with a 70 amp Hacker so that I don't fry the stock one.

A flight report will be posted in a few days after I fly it.

Should be a little rocket ship then!

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:36 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,924 Posts
What's the Kv on the Scimitar motor?

. . . 1010, 1011. Whatever it takes.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Dec 22, 2011, 02:04 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzed View Post
I did a static run with a 5S 3000 40C battery today. The numbers are: 1420 watts, 68 amps

I am planning on swapping the ESC out with a 70 amp Hacker so that I don't fry the stock one.

A flight report will be posted in a few days after I fly it.

Should be a little rocket ship then!

Buzzed,
Thank you for the data.

We can easily give you an approximate idea of speed increase.

Needed info (besides data from your post above):
A) Stock 4S Watts?
B) Stock 4S speed? ( I assume near 80 MPH???)

*** Hopefully others will reiterate their measurements.

_______

Mean while, don't plan on over 15 MPH speed increase.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU