HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:21 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,848 Posts
crashguru,

Sometimes people run a test and read the Wattmeter's displayed results (such as Wattsupmeter) after the test...for peak Watts, Peak AMPs, and minimum voltage.
As you may already know that is somewhat misleading.....but better than nothing.
In cases like this people should raise the throttle gradually in order to minimize the peak AMP "Spike" (due to motor spool up) as measured by a Wattmeter.

ICE ESC's logged data often shows the AMPs a little higher than actual but it is still one hell of great tool.....Way better than a Wattmeter.
I usually go about 1 second (or a bit more) after the peak AMP spike and take my measurements.
For testing people should consider setting the logger to 10 samples per second.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:01 AM
Joined Aug 2012
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashguru View Post
Wow! 98 amps? The Amps x Volts = Watts formula does not seem to work.

Here are my static results with the stock motor and pretty much the same setup:

On 5s 3300 with CC ICE 100 ESC using APC 9x9E Prop:
Amps WOT - 69.5
Watts WOT - 1240

Crash
I can post the logs if you want. It pulls 59amps bone stock, only a ten amp increase seems small when jumping to 5s. Someone earlier in the thread had almost identical numbers to mine, but you're right the math doesn't work out unless there's huge voltage sag.
AWDstylez is offline Find More Posts by AWDstylez
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:25 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,495 Posts
Turbine Scimitar Thread:
http://www.rctodayshow.com/forum/vie...6&p=2259#p2259
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:55 AM
Joined Feb 2007
169 Posts
Just got mine in today Pnp. Only took maybe an hour to get it ready. Hope to fly it Tuesday. It's fixed gear for now. I'll go retracts if I like it. I used 8 channels. Gear(fixed for now)2 rudder, TV, and nose stearing. She's a good looking bird.
windsheer is offline Find More Posts by windsheer
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:24 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,293 Posts
Great way to set it up. Hope your maiden goes as well as mine did. Use a lot of up trim before you take off. You can always trim back down, but the first take off is a lot different than most other planes. Use tons of expo on the steering, she's real sensitive.
Good luck pilot windsheer.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:26 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,495 Posts
+1 to what garry said.

Do not let up on the up-elevator, till you have a good bit of air under you and get her trimmed out.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:33 AM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,575 Posts
I bought 2, totaled one when I lost orientation. It was circling sweet and calmly for a few minutes. After trimming I decided to do a loop and it rolled to one side (can't remember -top and bottom are a mix of red, black, and white). I ended inverted, panicked, pulled another loop and yet again it rolled so I panicked again and nosed into the ground.

Anybody mod it to help with orientation? Maybe paint the underside completely black?
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:03 AM
Gravity is a cruel mistress...
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Mar 2011
724 Posts
I used some 2" strips of yellow and black Zagi tape from Graves to make stripes on the bottom of mine. No more orientation issues and its completely removable. plus the tape gives a little extra strength and abrasion resistance.
Blucross is offline Find More Posts by Blucross
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:45 PM
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID
Iceland, Westfjords, safjrur
Joined Mar 2011
1,126 Posts
Rainy day here, so I put together my PNP Scimitar today.

Should I bother with the stock prop or upgrade to an APC?

Also, I downloaded the DX8 setup from the Spektrum community website. Everything works perfect, but, I am wondering about elevon movement when applying rudder. If I use full right rudder, I notice the right elevon moves down. Left rudder=left elevon down. Is this differential?
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:52 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavekatcher View Post

Also, I downloaded the DX8 setup from the Spektrum community website. Everything works perfect, but, I am wondering about elevon movement when applying rudder. If I use full right rudder, I notice the right elevon moves down. Left rudder=left elevon down. Is this differential?
Nothing wrong with the stock prop. Use it. If your runway is gravel or grass, it'll get chewed up quick enough. Then you can try another prop.
I didn't like the rudder to elevon mix. I took it out. You should try it to see if you like it.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:53 PM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavekatcher View Post

It's a mix to help during knife edge.
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:02 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
I bought 2, totaled one when I lost orientation. It was circling sweet and calmly for a few minutes. After trimming I decided to do a loop and it rolled to one side (can't remember -top and bottom are a mix of red, black, and white). I ended inverted, panicked, pulled another loop and yet again it rolled so I panicked again and nosed into the ground.

Anybody mod it to help with orientation? Maybe paint the underside completely black?
Not having any disorientation issues at all...the model is mostly red on top and mostly black and white on the bottom. Plenty of differentiation for me.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:06 PM
Yuma, AZ
Joined Oct 2003
350 Posts
Alternate props

I have read through many pages of this thread and can't find any comments on what prop, other than the stock one, works best on a stock motor and esc. Can anyone help? Looking for an apc substitute for the stock prop. My Scimitar is not yet hear yet, but I'm getting ready. Thanks.
splais is offline Find More Posts by splais
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:14 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,692 Posts
I've switched to these lately. Seems to work fine and they are much cheaper and easier to get than the stock prop.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5365
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:58 PM
Un Registered User
Canada, BC, Chilliwack
Joined Feb 2013
176 Posts
Now that looks sick!
Doodie is offline Find More Posts by Doodie