Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:21 PM
Joined Jun 2010
14 Posts
carbon z scimitar

This is one top notch looking plane, I only have two flights on mine and have not used the TV yet. I used 4s 3000 mah, needs longer run times LOL
Wingspam is offline Find More Posts by Wingspam
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:53 PM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,732 Posts
Hello all.

I am having some trouble. I have contacted Horizon but they seem to be at a loss as well. I keep having the plane go deadstick. It happens at different times of the flight. It has even happened right after rotation. I thought somthing was wrong with the esc so I changed it out and flew Tuesday but the same thing happened. After I retrieved the bird(had to land out in the field) the motor had no power(would barely spin up). It didn't sound strange and the prop turns over freely. I simply would only spin slow. Battery still had aproximately 4v and it is a new one. I brought the plane home and put yet another esc in it and alas still the same problem. My thoughts now turn to the motor, in particular the connections. I removed the prop and throttled it up while pulling, twisting, tugging on the leads but nothing changed.

At this point I figure the motor has puked, pull it out of the air frame, and plan to call Horizon regarding the matter. The next morning I decided to check it one more time before calling. With the motor out of the plane I powered it up and it spooled up like normal. I pulled and twisted on the leads again and it kept running like it should. I called Horizon and explained all of this and they have no idea. They asked what the amp draw and watt were and I honestly couldn't remember(I had checked all of this when I first started having trouble).

Last night I put the motor back in the plane and powered it up with the watt meter and 59.8 amps and I think 890 watts. It sounded fine and I let a couple of 15 sec full throttle bursts run. Nothing got hot, nothing seemed anything but fine. Does the power reading seem high? I am at a loss. I have never had an intermittent problem like this that I couldn't isolate. I don't want to fly it as it is a to land dead stick. Any advise would be appreciated.

Jay
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:14 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,280 Posts
I would bet on Battery issue.
While your batteries have a charge, it sounds like they are not holding up under load once they warm up.
Have you tried another battery yet? Perhaps that might help isolate the issue

...Oh wait, you wont read any of this because you have me "ignored" LOL maybe you should take up knitting.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:56 PM
Joined Aug 2012
474 Posts
I don't know enough about power systems to diag your issue, but that power reading is completely normal.
AWDstylez is offline Find More Posts by AWDstylez
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:17 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDstylez View Post
I don't know enough about power systems to diag your issue, but that power reading is completely normal.
Thanks for the info. The only thing I can think is their is something up with the leads that I can't replicate. If I can get it quite running right again I am going to check resistance on the leads. Maybe there is something intermittent?
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:39 PM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,213 Posts
It does sound like a connection issue. But wiggling the motor wires didn't reproduce the problem. Maybe the battery terminals inside the pack? Cold solder? I've had that happen on a different plane.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:13 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
It does sound like a connection issue. But wiggling the motor wires didn't reproduce the problem. Maybe the battery terminals inside the pack? Cold solder? I've had that happen on a different plane.
Garry K.
Thanks Gary. I have had it happen with different packs. I have tested the batteries under load using a balance checker and they all show fine. I am going to re- solder the connections on the motor and double check the leads where they attatch to the can. I wonder if the movement there from the thrust vectoring has broken them down?
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:08 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,213 Posts
I can't think of anything else that could cause that since you still have control of the servo's.
Garry K.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:14 AM
Joined Aug 2012
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
I wonder if the movement there from the thrust vectoring has broken them down?
I could definitely see that happening. It's a really terrible design and the motor leads are really crushed in there as it is, never mind with the mount swinging back and forth and putting more stress on them.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:31 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,213 Posts
Guess I'd better look at mine a little more closely. I only have 4 flights on it so far, and only tried the thrust vector a couple times. (Not impressed so far, but will still experiment with it.) Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Garry K.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:01 AM
Joined Aug 2012
474 Posts
So the bolt holes on the turnigy motor I bought don't even come close to lining up with stock motor mount plate. I could have sworn that back when I bought this plane I saw an aftermarket mount for sale that fit other bolt patterns, but now I can find it anywhere. Does anyone have any ideas other than making my own mount?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:57 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,141 Posts
A question for those that have had this plane for a while already.
Has anyone been experimenting with different props and logged the results? Does anyone know what the motor is rated for in amps/watts?

I picked up an APC 10 x 8 (pattern/glow) prop from the local HS yesterday balanced it and reamed it for fit last night. Tonight I charged up a pack and hooked it up through my watt meter. At full throtttle it's reading around 975 watts. Down side is it's also pulling about 65 amps in this static test.
I only held full throttle long enough to see it was above the amp rating of the stock esc and forgot to check for voltage reading under load. I'm hoping that with it in the air and unloaded the amp draw will drop a bit and gain a few mph in top speed.

On a different note, I put in two more flights on mine Sunday morning before going to run boats. With a 10 mph breeze coming straight down the runway it's a lot easier to land than with calm air.
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:36 PM
Joined Aug 2012
474 Posts
60amps/600w There's a few people in here that have had it surviving a lot more than that for a good number of flights.

APC 9x9e here on a 5s, static 98amps and 1300w with stock motor. Zero flights on it so far, need to wait for this three feet of snow to melt.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:58 PM
United States, NC, Wilson
Joined Mar 2005
229 Posts
Quote:
60amps/600w There's a few people in here that have had it surviving a lot more than that for a good number of flights.

APC 9x9e here on a 5s, static 98amps and 1300w with stock motor. Zero flights on it so far, need to wait for this three feet of snow to melt.
Wow! 98 amps? The Amps x Volts = Watts formula does not seem to work.

Here are my static results with the stock motor and pretty much the same setup:

On 5s 3300 with CC ICE 100 ESC using APC 9x9E Prop:
Amps WOT - 69.5
Watts WOT - 1240

Crash
crashguru is offline Find More Posts by crashguru
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:16 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,141 Posts
Quote:

I went looking last night since it had been kinda quiet in here. According to Horizon's specs the motor is only rated for 41 - 50A continuous with 60 amp burst for 15 seconds. Read enough on the esc to know it should live with the prop change, too.

I don't really need it a lot faster than what it is. It flew (I'd guesstimate) at about 75-80 with the stock prop in a shallow dive and cruises nicely around 60 or so at 70% throttle I could probably pick up another 5 mph by adding the retracts, but thought I'd fly it dirty for a while to make sure I like it. A set of the e-flite retracts are as much as I paid for the plane.
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member