HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2012, 05:58 PM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,786 Posts
Flew my Shoestring in a heat yesterday.. I have the OS motor fitted.. went like a ripper!
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:01 PM
United States, CA, Diamond Bar
Joined Jul 2011
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletMaster View Post
Flew my Shoestring in a heat yesterday.. I have the OS motor fitted.. went like a ripper!
Great to hear! I take it that you were racing in the Sepulveda basin airfield in CA?

I got a chance to see and hold one of those new OS motors and they are very well made!
Gamerjoe is offline Find More Posts by Gamerjoe
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:19 PM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerjoe View Post
Great to hear! I take it that you were racing in the Sepulveda basin airfield in CA?

I got a chance to see and hold one of those new OS motors and they are very well made!
lol... would have been a quick trip home Joe... no, it was in Australia (see my ID on the left). Yes the OS are nice and a bit lighter than the Eflight ones (can help if you have CofG issues.
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:25 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Smith View Post
I have a question regarding the two pictures of the Shoestring in the previous posts.

I have a Shoestring. The fit of the cowling around the wing is horrible. There is a half inch gap between the leading edge of the wing and the rear of the cutout in the cowl molding. Ed S
I think the gap was intentional and it is part of the cooling air exit area. This allows the motor cooling air to exit at the wing and not have to flow all the way through the fuselage to the exit hole behind the wing.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:34 AM
USA
Joined Jul 2002
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
I think the gap was intentional and it is part of the cooling air exit area. This allows the motor cooling air to exit at the wing and not have to flow all the way through the fuselage to the exit hole behind the wing.

McD
I would need to see a picture of the gap that Ed is referring to. But yes there was an intentional gap designed into the cowl for cooling. This was at the leading edge just below the wing.

DK
dkane is online now Find More Posts by dkane
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined Jul 2008
127 Posts
Shoestring Fit

Nice save Dan! Even sounds logical.

Not a bad idea if true.

However, if that is the case a lot of people had better get the dremel tool out and start grinding cooling holes. E.G. report 1007, page 68.

Ed s
Ed Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ed Smith
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:23 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined May 2002
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypstar View Post
Nicer with the cromed one (spinner)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14815
Careful with that spinner from HK. I bought a couple of them for E-F1 and they are a piece of $!@# spinner. The collet threads are crap! The spinner cone itself is nice but the threads are very soft. Do not torque down on the collet nut too much or you will pull off the threads from the shaft.

You get what you pay for. I'm going back to the EFlite spinner.

Randy
Rsmith is offline Find More Posts by Rsmith
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:08 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
481 Posts
Hi Randy,
Not using the collet... only the backplate and spinner,I have the Hyperion motor with original mount set..
I hope the spinner and backplate is not too bad about the balance...we will see..

//Andy.
hypstar is offline Find More Posts by hypstar
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:31 PM
USA
Joined Jul 2002
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Smith View Post
Nice save Dan! Even sounds logical.

Not a bad idea if true.

However, if that is the case a lot of people had better get the dremel tool out and start grinding cooling holes. E.G. report 1007, page 68.

Ed s
Ed,

I can't see the cut out in post #1007. However, it is very visible in post #1008. The area just below the leading edge should look like this. As I stated it was intended to be an outlet, and also did not require such percise trimming of the cowl. Not a save at all. But thank you for thinking that I am that devilish.

DK
dkane is online now Find More Posts by dkane
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:10 PM
Canada, ON, Orangeville
Joined Mar 2006
328 Posts
Gee you learn something everyday.

Ken
k.fluney is offline Find More Posts by k.fluney
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Jul 2008
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkane View Post
Ed,
But thank you for thinking that I am that devilish.
DK
Not "devilish" just in character Mr Faust, you seem to forget that I built your Miss Dara kit. You set the standard for quality and fit. I judge all others by your Miss Dara. So far "All others" I have seen have failed miserably. I am dreading the Nitro-Planes ARF offering.

Ed s
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:18 PM
Spicewood, Texas
Joined Aug 2009
310 Posts
Ed, I'm surprised by your posts.

I also built one of Dan and Jerry's Miss Daras.

I also have built a few Pogos and now a couple of Shoestrings.

These, by the way, were ALL DESIGNED by Dan and Jerry!

So, Dan and Jerry are like Gods in my mind, as essentially the creators of this racing class!

I do not know who Mr. Faust is, but if you are talking about Mr. Dan, I'll take another Miss Dara in ANY FORM!.
Kent
akent is offline Find More Posts by akent
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Jul 2008
127 Posts
If you had paid attention to my posts you would have read that I have nothing but praise for The Miss Dara quality.

Ed s
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:08 PM
hondaboy92hatch
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2005
719 Posts
brodak aerowind motor

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone is using the brodak aerowind motor in a shoestring? I am thinking about getting one in the near future since no one was interested in my shoestring. its just about finished.

Joe
hondaboy92hatch is offline Find More Posts by hondaboy92hatch
Old Apr 05, 2012, 06:31 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,971 Posts
I've heard they are very fast, but a little fragile.
McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28