Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 17, 2011, 07:46 PM
Joined Oct 2006
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olllian View Post
Guys help me out with some good servos for a good price that will fit and i can use thank you guys!
Hitec HS-82MG fit the Aileron trays perfect and are right height for the thin wing
around $20 ea

Stall Torque (6.0V): 47.2 oz/in. (3.4kg.cm)

there are some small annoying quality control issues with this arf ,

my spar tube in the fuselage had a split in it , glassed it over, they are very thin

with the canopy I glued a small piece of ply on the former slightly higher where the canopy slides under to give more clearance, and as mention in a previous post trim the edges.
mrgriz is offline Find More Posts by mrgriz
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2011, 08:54 PM
United States, CA, Diamond Bar
Joined Jul 2011
514 Posts
Open Box Review

Here is an open box review that I created for everyone this morning. Enjoy!

E-Flite Shoestring 15e EF1 Racer - Open Box Review (13 min 22 sec)
Gamerjoe is offline Find More Posts by Gamerjoe
Old Dec 17, 2011, 09:05 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Thanks Gamerjoe, now I know what to look forward to
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Old Dec 17, 2011, 09:12 PM
olllian
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2011
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerjoe View Post
Here is an open box review that I created for everyone this morning. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDI2TxFKoKE
Thx man looks awsome!
olllian is offline Find More Posts by olllian
Old Dec 17, 2011, 09:54 PM
Never Stop Learning
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2005
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_M View Post
ZS is the rear mount motor EG plane motor you must have the HS heli version
Adrian is correct, the ZS is a aircraft motor but Hyperion does not supply the back mount parts with all their motors. You need to order a ZS30 back mount kit.

Another option, ( How I run the motor) is refit or replace the stock motor shaft with one long enough to extend forward full depth into the clamping prop adapter. I use Graupner 38mm / 5mm precision spinners because the adapter is machined steel not soft aluminum like most. They run very true and smooth, plus being steel they incur no wear taking props off constantly doing testing and such. Any vibration robs power considerably, the motor and all moving parts must run perfectly smooth.

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/zs/ZS30-DIM&MOUNT.pdf

http://www.v-eastonline.com/products...D5%2C0-mm.html
Jaguar22 is online now Find More Posts by Jaguar22
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:11 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,927 Posts
Adrian/jag thanks. The motor that I have has a tapered front and the mounting holes on the front only. Its a motor for a thin tapered fuse (glider/warmliner)

I'll check your links. J
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:26 AM
Joined Jul 2011
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgriz View Post
Hitec HS-82MG fit the Aileron trays perfect and are right height for the thin wing
I second that!
Old Dec 18, 2011, 05:33 PM
Never Stop Learning
Joined Mar 2005
1,030 Posts
The best all around motor I have run in the Pogo or EF-1 type airframes is the Hyperion ZS3025-06 1287 KV motor on 4S / 8x8 APC E prop. The Eflite Power 25 / 1250 KV is a good choice too and legal if you are racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
Adrian/jag thanks. The motor that I have has a tapered front and the mounting holes on the front only. Its a motor for a thin tapered fuse (glider/warmliner)

I'll check your links. J
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2011, 06:06 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,927 Posts
I opened up one of the EFlite Motors and it is a VERY good motor with good bearings, windings and laminations. It is far from a piece of junk which was my prejudiced view.

One of my buddies suggested going 5s on the Power 25 1250 kv and proping lower. I might give it a try with a 7x7 and see what happens to the data logs.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 06:39 PM
Never Stop Learning
Joined Mar 2005
1,030 Posts
The Eflite 25/1250 is not a good choice to run on 5S. The thrust does not come up enough on the 7x7. That prop just does not have enough pitch, spinning it faster only produces more prop noise. The Eflite is a nice little motor but was designed to run one setup well, 4S with the APC E 8x8 prop.

I have run just about every motor that will fit under a Pogo cowl, 4S to 6S which are the same type of setups for the Shoestring. Don't burn up your motor trying setups.

If you want to go faster, run the Hyperion 3025/6 on 5S with a APC E 8x8. The motor will produce twice the watts out of the Eflite 25/1250 at about 70 peak amps. Pitch speed will be almost 155 mph with a prop speed of just under 20K. But your prop and spinner will need to be perfectly balanced. At 20K+ prop speed if your prop goes out of balance it very well could break the motor mount.
So stock up on bearings from Boco, ABEC #5 grade is fine, metal covers with no lube. Run their speed oil, adds close to 500 rpm.

Also I found hand cutting and reshaping the APC E 8x8 offered the best performance. These little motors do not produce much torque so modifying the blade tip profile reduces load / drag, increases rpm and raises pitch speed by a noticeable amount. These mods would get even a very draggy heavy Pogo over 150 mph. The Shoestring is a much cleaner and lighter airframe but also much less robust, weight traded for speed.

The Shoestring was built for EF-1 spec racing and around 500 watts from the approved power systems. So asking the airframe to handle 1000 to 1500 watts and 150 mph or more is a big request. My friends Pogo folded the wing running these setups. No fault of the plane, just the airframe was never designed to absorb such loads (we ran up to 2000 watt setups). The same is true for the new Shoestring. If the airframe fails running setups other than the recommended ones in the manual, no fault of the plane or Eflite.

Let us know how it goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
I opened up one of the EFlite Motors and it is a VERY good motor with good bearings, windings and laminations. It is far from a piece of junk which was my prejudiced view.

One of my buddies suggested going 5s on the Power 25 1250 kv and proping lower. I might give it a try with a 7x7 and see what happens to the data logs.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jaguar22; Dec 18, 2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 06:57 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,927 Posts
Thanks for the advice. What do you do to hand cut and shape the 8x8 prop. Is it thining the TEs of the blades and ensuring balance by removal of material rather than adding tape/nailpolish, etc?
Old Dec 18, 2011, 08:44 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3 Posts
I had a little trouble with my build, here's the video on you tube, any feed back would be awsome! Thanks
Eflite Shoestring review (Part 1 of 3) (6 min 10 sec)
highroller79 is offline Find More Posts by highroller79
Old Dec 18, 2011, 08:57 PM
olllian
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2011
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highroller79 View Post
I had a little trouble with my build, here's the video on you tube, any feed back would be awsome! Thanks
http://youtu.be/OdppoqxIv_U

Good find!
olllian is offline Find More Posts by olllian
Old Dec 19, 2011, 02:40 AM
Joined Jul 2011
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highroller79 View Post
I had a little trouble with my build, here's the video on you tube, any feed back would be awsome!
I have the same issue with my cowling as well. The canopy cannot slide underneath, so there is no way to remove it when the cowling is on. Another issue I have experienced is that the screws for securing the control horns are too small for the back hole of the ailerons. I will be calling Horizon tomorrow to get a replacement cowling. I am only halfway through the build process, so I may run into other issues.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 02:55 AM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,927 Posts
Hey Highroller, you got all the problems I had and even a couple more.
The canopy and cowl needed trimming. The lower edge of plastic molding for the cockpit/ canopy extends below the balsa base of the cockpit/canopy. I had to trim this flush and also sand and trim the excess resin under the rear edge of the cowl. I can now access the battery bay without needing to remove the cowl.

Haha, I found the servo covers too and opted to use them on the wing servos instead of the elevator and rudder.

Thankfully both my wings are a very snug fit.