HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:10 PM
United States, CA, Diamond Bar
Joined Jul 2011
515 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum Transmitter Toggle Switches

I have a Spektrum DX5e transmitter that has a broken toggle switch for the landing gear. All Spektrum Tx's have these switches and I am wondering if these are something standard I can get at Radio Shack and just solder into the TX?
Gamerjoe is offline Find More Posts by Gamerjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:57 PM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
Yes, they are usually just standard miniature toggle switches and you should be able to find one at Radio Shack. Just measure the diameter of the threaded collar so you get the right size to fit the hole. Most likely just a SPST switch with just two wires, but best to open it up and check first.
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:27 PM
Joined Jul 2011
515 Posts
Great, thanks!

I assumed as much, but it is good to hear from someone that knows.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 03:23 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Pontefract, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2007
1,071 Posts
I recently bought a used DX5e which had a broken trainer switch. I emailed Horizon and they sent me two free of charge by return.
Cheers
Phil
phil_g is offline Find More Posts by phil_g
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:01 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_g View Post
I recently bought a used DX5e which had a broken trainer switch. I emailed Horizon and they sent me two free of charge by return.
Cheers
Phil
I emailed them and they told me to send it in for $30 per hour. Otherwise I am happy with the service
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Nov 22, 2011, 03:28 AM
Who let the dogs out?
Joined Jul 2007
1,071 Posts
I said could they supply a switch please, and that I was happy to fit it myself. Two switches arrived by return with a compliments slip.
Cheers
Phil
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:11 PM
Joined May 2011
1,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_g View Post
I said could they supply a switch please, and that I was happy to fit it myself. Two switches arrived by return with a compliments slip.
Cheers
Phil
No reply yet. I emailed them and that may be why I got the reply I did. I will try a call
Old Nov 23, 2011, 04:30 AM
Who let the dogs out?
Joined Jul 2007
1,071 Posts
I'm in the UK, maybe its a US policy not to allow customers to repair their own. But jeez, its only a switch and two wires. We used to build the whole radio when I were a lad.
Attached is the email chain just fyi
Cheers
Phil
Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:34 PM
Joined May 2011
1,577 Posts
Horizon Hobby's reply
Hello Rick,

Thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby's Product Support Department.

All transmitters and receivers are service center items only not for consumer sales, unless listed under the products website. This will need to come into the service center for repair. Please see my previous email for instructions on how to send the transmitter into the service center.

For further assistance, please use the URL located on our website's Contact Us page. If you are referencing a past request, please include the following ticket number when prompted: 15,069

Don't forget, our phone staff is available at 1-877-504-0233, Monday through Friday, 8am-7pm CST, Saturday 8-5pm CST and Sunday Noon-5PM CST.

Thank you,
Marc
We help YOU have fun with Hobbies!
Horizon Hobby Product Support
4105 Fieldstone Rd.
Champaign, IL 61822
1-877-504-0233
Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:39 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,652 Posts
Based on other posts on here, that seems to be the standard response from them lately .Try here:

http://www.radiosouthrc.com/thumbnail.asp?cid=101

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:50 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Joined Jul 2007
1,071 Posts
They dont trust you to change a switch? as I said, when I were a lad you'd build the entire radio in your shed. What a pathetic level we've fallen to. How far down can we be dumbed? thankfully it seems some sense of reason prevails at HH UK...
Cheers
Phil
Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:57 PM
Joined May 2011
1,577 Posts
I think Horizon wants to get some cash from the used tx buyer.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
New hobbyist here with two broken toggle switches on my DX5e (Trainer momentary switch and the Channel 5 switch). Spektrum would not send replacement switches and the total repair cost (+ freight) is more $$ than a new radio. Bought some switches from Radio Shack. They sell SPST and SPDT.
The SPDT switches have the same three prongs as the original ones in the DX5E, but I notice that there are only two wires being connected to the original switches (the third is left unused). Questions:

1) Does this mean that I can use SPST replacement switches (they have only two prongs)?

2) If I replace them with SPDT switches, how do I know which two prongs to solder the two wires to?

3) In either case (SPST or SPDT) which wire goes to which prong?

Thanks!
jojo3989 is offline Find More Posts by jojo3989
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Jul 2011
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo3989 View Post
New hobbyist here with two broken toggle switches on my DX5e (Trainer momentary switch and the Channel 5 switch). Spektrum would not send replacement switches and the total repair cost (+ freight) is more $$ than a new radio. Bought some switches from Radio Shack. They sell SPST and SPDT.
The SPDT switches have the same three prongs as the original ones in the DX5E, but I notice that there are only two wires being connected to the original switches (the third is left unused). Questions:

1) Does this mean that I can use SPST replacement switches (they have only two prongs)?

2) If I replace them with SPDT switches, how do I know which two prongs to solder the two wires to?

3) In either case (SPST or SPDT) which wire goes to which prong?

Thanks!
I removed my switch and took it to Radio Shack, and I was able to match it up exactly with one that they had in the store. It was very easy to solder and replace.

The SPDT switch will work if you use the outer two prongs.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:04 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerjoe View Post
I removed my switch and took it to Radio Shack, and I was able to match it up exactly with one that they had in the store. It was very easy to solder and replace.

The SPDT switch will work if you use the outer two prongs.
The outer two positions on a SPDT switch would never make contact. One wire must connect to the centre connection.

As far as which two to use, just hook it up as it was before.

If a switch is backwards then in the case of a toggle you can either swap to the other outer prong, or simply turn it around.
In the case of a momentary like the trainer, swap the wire.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie