SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 17, 2011, 03:09 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
Alert
Flyzone Sensei

If anyone has one of the new Flyzone Sensei ARF foam planes you need to inspect the motor wires. On the one my friend bought the wires were rubbing on the motor bell causing the ESC to burn out. There was no damage apparent to the wires, they were just causing extra drag on the motor which naturally causes the current to increase.

If you are considering buying this plane be aware that the cowling is permanently glued on. If you ever have to get inside to replace any component you will have to cut it off and re-glue it back on. A poor design in my opinion.

Just a FYI
Bill
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:50 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
That's not entirely accurate, I just had my plane serviced by the lhs for a burnt motor and esc (yet to know what caused it) and they removed the cowling with a little prying. It's just glued or sticky-taped on. I can take it off and put it on now no problem, it just slides over itself. With some double sided tape it stays on very tight.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1492017&page=7
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:23 PM
Formerly 'rtbreeder'
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
276 Posts
same thing happened to me, only i only lost the motor, not the ESC. I'm wondering if theres any motors that are cmpatible to the one it came with, as it wont be in till late november.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1524416
Nixus is online now Find More Posts by Nixus
Old Apr 02, 2013, 12:43 AM
Joined Apr 2013
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbreeder View Post
same thing happened to me, only i only lost the motor, not the ESC. I'm wondering if theres any motors that are cmpatible to the one it came with, as it wont be in till late november.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1524416
Hi, did you find out if there are other motors? and when you pulled out your old one did you notice if the wires were hooked up wrong, I pulled my motor and the wires were hooked up wrong.......just wondering.
xnucix is offline Find More Posts by xnucix
Old Apr 02, 2013, 12:52 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,593 Posts
The wires can not be hooked up "wrong". Changing any two wires
just makes the motor run in the opposite direction.
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Jul 14, 2013, 01:58 AM
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jul 2013
48 Posts
I got my Sensei ready today and as soon as I bind it the ESC burned such a crappy ESC also the motor was making some crazy noises, I replaced the ESC with a 40A one and then push the throttle one click at a time every minute or when the noise went away now is operating with no problems, I will suggest to replace the ESC ASAP we don't want to burn it in the air, as far as removing the cowl, not a big deal pretty easy
SuarezLuis is offline Find More Posts by SuarezLuis
Old Sep 30, 2013, 02:40 AM
Once you taste flight...
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Dec 2011
2,782 Posts
Yet again as many have said, you can remove the cowl easily by making a tool and taking your time, there is almost no "rtf" plane that is perfect out of the box.
Although I have not done anything to my Delta Ray yet, and although it flies a little docile for my tastes, the wife and kids are now flying and that makes me smile.
skydvejam is offline Find More Posts by skydvejam
Old Sep 30, 2013, 05:00 PM
SUCK LESS
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,609 Posts
It's possible for the battery wires from the ESC to rub on the back of the motor IF the red battery connector is shoved up front in the cowl area. As long as the red battery connector remains in the battery compartment then the wires will not rub on the motor.

I noticed this exact situation this weekend, but I also have an XT60 to (red battery connector) adapter cable that I made and I would push the red battery connector through the slot (into the cowl area) to allow room for the XT60 adapter, battery wires, etc, which can get a little cramped in there. When I took the cowl off to service the front steering arm I saw bits of red wire insulation scattered and stuck to the motor mount and when I inspected the red wire I saw definite signs that something was rubbing/wearing on it. Found more red debris on the set screw and hub on the back of the motor and knew right away what was going on. Luckily no copper strands were exposed.

But really, keeping the stock red battery connector (or any other connector soldered in its place) in the battery compartment pulls the ESC battery wires far enough away from the motor to prevent any contact at all.
FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Oct 01, 2013 at 03:43 PM.