RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3d-nexus View Post
hye all,
I've received my g-osd
have a pb power it with 3S and after a while I still have the camera pictures but all OSd informations diseppear

Like a remzibi I've solder a huge wire of copper on 78L05 big ground pin, in order to dissipate a little more. But another trouble came : after a while osd informations dissepear or osd made a reset loop

do you think I can power it directly with a 5v from immersion video Tx and bypassing the 78L05 ?

are you sure its a problem with the 7805 regulator ? some friends on the HK reviews wrote that this could be due to a crappy firmware loading up the Atmega chip too much, causing it to reset.
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
Last edited by i3dm; Oct 04, 2011 at 08:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2011, 11:51 AM
France (near the ch'ti village)
Joined Apr 2007
133 Posts
I don't know If it's the voltage relugator I was guessing it,(cf remzibi hot trouble with his regulator)
tyring with a well charged 3s and 2S batteries ....samething
with torque ferrite on each wire samething
I've made many test today solder pin to isp hole power osd with 5v from an regulated power-lab source, same thing happens

trying after blowing hot all cms composant samething
checking as much as possible cms and solder
samething

now I thing you are right about the firmware, I've bought the recommended avr programmer from ebay(link:http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/USBASP-US...4571ffe4always usufull). now I've to wait ....
If it will run with the new firmware I'will surelly make a donate to the author
fr3d-nexus is offline Find More Posts by fr3d-nexus
Old Oct 04, 2011, 12:18 PM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3d-nexus View Post
I don't know If it's the voltage relugator I was guessing it,(cf remzibi hot trouble with his regulator)
tyring with a well charged 3s and 2S batteries ....samething
with torque ferrite on each wire samething
I've made many test today solder pin to isp hole power osd with 5v from an regulated power-lab source, same thing happens

trying after blowing hot all cms composant samething
checking as much as possible cms and solder
samething

now I thing you are right about the firmware, I've bought the recommended avr programmer from ebay(link:http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/USBASP-US...4571ffe4always usufull). now I've to wait ....
If it will run with the new firmware I'will surelly make a donate to the author
Do let us know how it works after the re-flash.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 12:49 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2008
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by callelj View Post
charlienofun: If the E-OSD still work (shows text) then there must be a bad wire somewhere. Did you swap MISO and MOSI?

If the E-OSD do not work you might have changed the fuses and changing them bad is really hard.
Hey callelj, I didn't touch the fuses it still works the factory firmware is still active

I'm about to hit all my connections again with the iron, if its not working after that I guess I will move the crystal and test between the jumpers I have wired and the pin on the chip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by i3dm View Post
i had some trouble with this line also, and got rc-1, but when i put all files in c: and ran the command to flash them - it worked with AVRdude and USBTINY. i have a copy of the line in a past post by me in this thread. can you try it ?
Hey i3dm, thanks for the advice. I tried your line exactly, unfortunately it still gives the same error.

I have my iron out, I will go over all my connections and report back.

Thanks Guys!
charlienofun is offline Find More Posts by charlienofun
Old Oct 04, 2011, 12:56 PM
CL-OSD developer
Sverige, Östergötlands Län, Linköping
Joined Apr 2011
279 Posts
charlienofun: Ok, good that it still works.

Check if they have done any cutting of the shrink plastic near any of the traces. They might have cut a trace...
callelj is offline Find More Posts by callelj
Old Oct 04, 2011, 01:07 PM
Trier, Germany
Joined Aug 2007
512 Posts
I just flashed the cl-osd hex and eep from the website:
http://code.google.com/p/cl-osd/sour...Ftrunk%2FE-OSD
to my E-OSD, flash and verify did work, but the new firmware only shows some flickering in the top of the screen instead of readable text.
Did anybody already had this problem?
(Jo)Hannes is offline Find More Posts by (Jo)Hannes
Last edited by (Jo)Hannes; Oct 04, 2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:01 PM
Joined Mar 2008
374 Posts
Quote:
charlienofun: Ok, good that it still works.

Check if they have done any cutting of the shrink plastic near any of the traces. They might have cut a trace...
callelj,

Thanks for the advice. I noticed your are right about the crystal so I just moved it a few mm out of the way and I tested my breadboard connections they each make it all the way to the chips pin

I tried swapping the MOSI/MISO and the SCK/RST lines but that didn't make any difference. I'm really confused whats causing this now, if my meter says they all have good connection to the chip pin I have no idea why avrdude can't see it... I can read/write my atmega168/328 chips just fine so I don't think the usbtiny itself is the problem

I have tried it with jumper cables between the pins I soldered to the E-OSD and the USBtinyISP and I have tried it with the pins connected directly to the 6 pin ribbon then with breadboard in between.. nothing helps yet. I guess its good to hear other people used this same programmer I'll keep thinking of things to try.
Last edited by charlienofun; Oct 04, 2011 at 02:27 PM. Reason: added pics
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:24 PM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,472 Posts
charlienofun, i dont know what the problem is ut for me it took 3 hours of breaking my brain until it finally worked ! so keep at it.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:32 PM
Joined Mar 2008
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3dm View Post
charlienofun, i dont know what the problem is ut for me it took 3 hours of breaking my brain until it finally worked ! so keep at it.
Thanks i3dm. I really want to get it working, I just updated my post with some pics maybe someone will spot something i'm doing wrong. The only lines I have not swapped are VCC and GND but its lighting up and working so I don't think thats will help . Did you power yours from the programmer when flashing it? I tried the write command you posted each time but it never gets past the error.

Charlie
Old Oct 04, 2011, 03:06 PM
CL-OSD developer
Joined Apr 2011
279 Posts
charlienofun: I checked your connection in the image and it looks good.

It might be that your programmer cannot give the chip enought current during programming. You might try to disconnect the +5V from the programmer and connect an external power supply via BATT2. I always use external power during my testing and I don't know if I have tested with just the programmer.

Don't swap VCC and GND since that might damage the µP!
Old Oct 04, 2011, 03:09 PM
CL-OSD developer
Joined Apr 2011
279 Posts
(Jo)Hannes: Looks as if the sync detection is not working properly.
Could you test r52 and see if that works? Parity had some problems with the latest revisions that I cannot see here.

Old Oct 04, 2011, 03:10 PM
Joined Jul 2011
13 Posts
Hi all,
Trying to get it work about 2 days, can't understand really strange thing: when programmer are connected to e-osd all works good, labels on the screen are correct. But when I remove programmer and connect e-osd directly to battery it works with jerks and with many white artifacts on screen. I have used avrdude on mac os, will try from win tomorrow.

Sorry for my english, I'm from Ukraine.
Galamaga is offline Find More Posts by Galamaga
Old Oct 04, 2011, 03:20 PM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
what benefit does this add for the e-osd?
chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 04, 2011, 03:28 PM
CL-OSD developer
Joined Apr 2011
279 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that so many are having problems with programming the chips but it's hard for me to trobleshoot via the internet...
Could someone without any problems please write so I know it works at all...

Galamaga: Sounds like you either have to low a voltage connected to the E-OSD or your regulator is bad.

chatch15117: Not to much to be honest, I started programming on my E-OSD since it was the cheeper of the two boards and I keep the support for it when I started programming on the G-OSD. But you can add a GPS to make it more interesting plus since you have the source you can change things.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 03:28 PM
Trier, Germany
Joined Aug 2007
512 Posts
Thanks for your help and this great Project!

Quote:
(Jo)Hannes: Looks as if the sync detection is not working properly.
Could you test r52 and see if that works? Parity had some problems with the latest revisions that I cannot see here.

Just tried that, looks a bit different but seems to habe the same problem:
(Jo)Hannes is offline Find More Posts by (Jo)Hannes