SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 19, 2011, 05:43 PM
CL-OSD developer
Sverige, Östergötlands Län, Linköping
Joined Apr 2011
279 Posts
i3dm: When it's finished it's finished. No ETA, that only makes me stressed.
And a stressed callelj makes a sad callelj.

That sensor looks huge.
The ADC are 10 bits = 1024 steps.
As long as the pot is adjusted correctly I think it could work.
If min = 0V and max = 0.75V the resolution would be 0.73... mV
callelj is offline Find More Posts by callelj
Last edited by callelj; Sep 19, 2011 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Don't mix , and .
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2011, 02:41 AM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
You can set the reference-voltage on the ADC - but normally you use 5 volt. Atmega uses a 10-bit ADC, so you will read 0-5 volt as 0-1024 (A resolution of approx 4.882812500 mV).

You will need (preferably) an opamp or something like INA169 to amplify the signal from the resistor.
that shouldnt be too difficult to make. question is if the ATMega in the G-OSD still has enough momory space (after the firmware update) to calculate (multiply) to the correct numbers ?
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
Old Sep 20, 2011, 02:45 AM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by callelj View Post
i3dm: When it's finished it's finished. No ETA, that only makes me stressed.
And a stressed callelj makes a sad callelj.

That sensor looks huge.
The ADC are 10 bits = 1024 steps.
As long as the pot is adjusted correctly I think it could work.
If min = 0V and max = 0.75V the resolution would be 0.73... mV
that shouldnt be too difficult to make i think.
the sensor is not so big when you remove the huge case, but i will work on finding something smaller.
1024 steps are more than enough ! but whats the sensitivity of the measurement ? doesnt it depend on the uC ?
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
Last edited by i3dm; Sep 20, 2011 at 03:02 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 05:46 AM
Joined Sep 2011
114 Posts
Good thing in an open source code is, that everyone can implement features to his own needs.
I think the main branch of the cl-osd should keep focused on getting the basic functionallity in. Acually the ones g-osd should have had when beeing sold.
The chip on the cl-osd is really tiny, you cannot expect it to perform like the leading products on the market. There are already similar projects for bigger chips out there, like the DIY OSD.
Maybe we will see support for current sensor later, if there are capacities left.

Parity
Parity is offline Find More Posts by Parity
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:56 AM
United States, TX
Joined Oct 2010
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parity View Post
Good thing in an open source code is, that everyone can implement features to his own needs.
I think the main branch of the cl-osd should keep focused on getting the basic functionallity in. Acually the ones g-osd should have had when beeing sold.
The chip on the cl-osd is really tiny, you cannot expect it to perform like the leading products on the market. There are already similar projects for bigger chips out there, like the DIY OSD.
Maybe we will see support for current sensor later, if there are capacities left.

Parity
+1 Parity
Slaphappysamy is offline Find More Posts by Slaphappysamy
Old Sep 21, 2011, 05:03 PM
CL-OSD developer
Joined Apr 2011
279 Posts
I haven't had much time lately to work on cl-osd but today I got some time.

I tried swapping the chip on my G-OSD but that didn't help.
Will try a bit more to recover the board.

I spent some time today to write in the wiki on my project page.
For those wondering how to compile and program the board there are some information now. Have a look and tell my if there is something missing!

Not much work on the code itself yet but I found this gps-simulator that I'm using to test a bit faster:

http://homepage2.nifty.com/k8/gps/file/nmeagen.htm
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:57 PM
Joined Jun 2010
107 Posts
thanks for the wiki page that really does help
up there is offline Find More Posts by up there
Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:31 AM
Joined Apr 2009
36 Posts
If replacing the chip didn't help, make sure the crystal is ok - the original arrangement in the g-osd (the cristal is long and loose once you cut the plastic cover) is very fragile , and will break a terminal in no time, if nothing is done.
esreis is offline Find More Posts by esreis
Old Sep 22, 2011, 03:02 PM
United States, OR, Blodgett
Joined Apr 2011
354 Posts
Well, I guess I'll have to pass on this one for now. My 67 year old hands just won't work steady enough for me to solder the pins on this board. I will be headed out in a month or so for my annual trip south so it will be a couple of months before I can mount it. Maybe I'll run across someone down the road who can do it for me.
Thanks
Jerry
Jerry Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Campbell
Last edited by Jerry Campbell; Sep 22, 2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: error
Old Sep 22, 2011, 04:16 PM
Joined Jun 2010
83 Posts
For my quad copter I need very accurate altitude readings, would this work with the G-OSD?
http://cgi.ebay.nl/BMP085-Barometric...#ht_1073wt_952
I know the firmware has to be changed for it, but is there an available hardware port?
Baggus is offline Find More Posts by Baggus
Old Sep 23, 2011, 04:04 AM
CL-OSD developer
Joined Apr 2011
279 Posts
esreis: I checked the crystal and even tried removing it and sending in a 1 MHz clock source as one should when there is a fuse error in the clock settings. But didn't work.
The chip I used to replace the old chip with had something programmed on it so the fuses might be bad on that one as well. Will try a fresh chip today.

Baggus: There is a I2C port on the G-OSD but the pins do not have connectors so you would need to solder some in. And I don't know if there is enough cpu time to do I2C. I will not work on this so you would have to do it by yourself. But you can always ask questions.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:08 AM
Joined Jun 2010
83 Posts
Thanks for the reply, would it be easier to put this I2C sensor on the E-OSD?
(since my quad doesn't really need gps, and I don't like soldering on those tiny cpu pins)
Baggus is offline Find More Posts by Baggus
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:28 PM
Joined Sep 2011
45 Posts
Hi,
thanks to everyone who participated in developing the new firmware. I just got my G-OSD yesterday and I am very excited to test out everything. But actually my programmer didn't arrive yet. Also my FPV equipment is in my home town. I wanted to know if the GPS module works fine and so I connected the GPS module to an Atmega328 with Arduion bootloader and the code I grabbed from the Arduino playground works fine out of the box. The only thing you have to do, is calculating Google Maps GPS coordinates out of the transmitted data from the GPS chip.

This code can be used with all Arduinos and the GPS chip coming with G-OSD:
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Tutorials/GPS

Here you can find an Excel-Sheet to calculate correct GPS coordinates:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...X310087X34.zip
superjelli is offline Find More Posts by superjelli
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:10 PM
United States, TX
Joined Oct 2010
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Campbell View Post
Well, I guess I'll have to pass on this one for now. My 67 year old hands just won't work steady enough for me to solder the pins on this board. I will be headed out in a month or so for my annual trip south so it will be a couple of months before I can mount it. Maybe I'll run across someone down the road who can do it for me.
Thanks
Jerry

Jerry, how far south you going? Im in Texas and can flash your for you if you like.
Slaphappysamy is offline Find More Posts by Slaphappysamy
Old Sep 24, 2011, 01:12 AM
United States, OR, Blodgett
Joined Apr 2011
354 Posts
Thank you Samy,
I would more than like, but I think the only way that would work would be for me to mail it to you. We're headed for the west coast of Mexico, about 3000 miles south of us here in Oregon. I don't think we will get over that far east this winter. You can never tell, I have a brother in Dallas and a sister in Memphis.
Thanks
Jerry
EXI 450
Bixler FPV Trainer (to build this winter)
http://crowncoach.clanteam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaphappysamy View Post
Jerry, how far south you going? Im in Texas and can flash your for you if you like.
Jerry Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Campbell