HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:53 PM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2012
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.viglione View Post
Hello guy's i hev the g- osd with cl-osd fw but i not use this OSD for much time, what it's the last firmware for g-osd 2? can you send me a link please?
Firmware is here- http://code.google.com/p/cl-osd/ There are also a few custom mods throughout the posts.

Finally got the chance to fly on atx-heli's modded version this morning, short flight, as time has been sparse lately, but I really like it! Sats and data seemed very accurate- even alt. The heading, and arrow to show ascending/ descending worked perfect! Nice work, and thanks for sharing! I also really liked what you did with the home arrow!
Crashed22 is offline Find More Posts by Crashed22
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:35 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,650 Posts
Did anyone tried and remove the resistor from BAT2 to disable the voltage divider and have more resolution for RSSI?
IceWind is online now Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:33 AM
Joined Oct 2012
14 Posts
ok i will try the file of atx hell, when i go to g-osd folder which file upload on my G-osd 2??

cl-osd-trugQuad or cl-osd??
rob.viglione is offline Find More Posts by rob.viglione
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:49 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atx_Heli View Post
Well, I think I have it tweaked to where I want it...all except for cleaning up the sporadic errors in altitude...
I tried lots of things..added that fix must be valid before storing the data for display....checking the RMC message (the one that gives bearing and speed) status bit..tried to put a sanity check on altitude changes....nothing worked...

but I did change a lot of things....thanks to Trug for the starting base...

here is what I changed:
Minor:
1. Changed the home set on # valid fixs/min #sats to require the fixs be done with sats above the minimum (I think that was the intent, but not what the code actually did)..[gps-common.h]
2. GPS coords are shown, if enabled for in flight display, only below 200 feet altitude [layout.h]
3. Changed the dist to home display text from "LOS" to "DIST"..it really isnt LineOfSight distance..its flat map of the earth distance.. [layout.h]
4. Made the storage of data contigent not only on checksum valid, but also fix valid...unfortunately this doesnt seem to improve accuracy much...best results I get are to require 10 fixes with more than 7 sats...[gps-common.h]
5. Moved the satellite display to far upper right corner [layout.h]
6. Positioned GPS coords,when displayed, to middle top [layout.h]
7. Pressing the button will remove the stats until the timeout occurs again [cl-osd.c]
8. Changed line3 position to 130 from 135 for NTSC to stop ghosting (mostly) [layout.h]

Major:
1. Made the RSSI display disappear if RSSI is at 0%...this allows me to use the same code on systems with and without RSSI connected and not have the RSSI display sitting there or alarming..[layout.h]
2. Added a heading compile option to display 0-360 deg heading on bottom line of display [config.h & layout.h]
3. Added a variometer arrow to the right of the alt display to show climbing and descending [layout.h, gps-common.h, & oem6x8.h]
4. Removed TRIP stat...needed to get more code space...I don't ever use that one anyway! [layout.h & gps-common.h]

will fly it today or tomorrow....have driven around the neighborhood with it in the car to test...so far...so good...

here are some screen shots...
GJ on the variometer ATX! A variometer was going to be my next project with CLOSD, and I wondered if that was even possible given the space leftover. The TRIP stats won't be missed; actually the whole stats page seems unnecessary to me. I know, it's not LOS but DIST... my intention was to change that to an LOS calc, LOL!

Does your variometer have a set minimum vertical speed to display the arrows? I was thinking of displaying a bold horizontal bar when vertical speed is within like 0+-1ft/sec (adjustable threshold).

I also like the no coords above 200' idea... though I have some concerns for flights where video could suddenly go out at low altitude (tree slalom). It would be nice if we could set this option at the field. Maybe code a 15sec home button press to toggle the feature, and briefly display "Tree Slalom Mode" or "High Altitude Mode" on screen to verify changes.

BTW, that negative fudge value thing was due to an improper type cast I used for the fudge variables; the last 3-4 digits were getting dropped from display. The fix is already in the trunk, but I haven't got around to adding that fix to my files... yet, but I need to.

Icewind, I wouldn't mind having a higher impedance input for RSSI, but I'm curious why you're after more RSSI resolution? I have heard of someone scratching a trace and adding a wire to use the 3rd pot for RSSI trim, but not sure about the resulting resolution.

Rob, you will have to wait for ATX's answer to be sure, but it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to find out. There's no risk involved in flashing and testing both out... the LOS/DIST is an obvious difference that you don't have to wait to see.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Last edited by Truglodite; Oct 19, 2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:28 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
771 Posts
Rob, my code is not in the repository....its in post #1916 of this thread

also, Trog...you might want to try a compile with the Statistics undefined...it has a bug in that mode for the display...I'm sorry I have since forgotten what it was....but here is the same code I put in #1916 that has been fixed for when you don't want Statistics displayed....which I don't since they are bogus due to the occasional speed and altitude outliers...I have not tried it again with Statisitcs reenabled so I dont know if my code fix in layout.h works when enable the Statistics define...it works now when it isnt at least...

since I am not playing in the repository, I didnt note what the bug was Trog, but it has to do with line 3/4 display without statistics...sorry

anyway, if you want Statistics, use the code in #1916...otherwise, this works without...

been flying a lot with it now, and am flashing another one for my SlowStick with this code...
Atx_Heli is online now Find More Posts by Atx_Heli
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:08 PM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2012
162 Posts
Quote:
I dont know if my code fix in layout.h works when enable the Statistics define...it works now when it isnt at least...
For me so far, the distance and altitude have been pretty close. Speed on the other hand, not so much. Either way, I like it!
Crashed22 is offline Find More Posts by Crashed22
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:22 AM
Joined Aug 2012
5 Posts
Very nice layout Atx! Just a little problem: I'm using this OSD on a quadcopter and I have uncommented #define STATISTICS_ENABLED because I don't need it but altitude and speed aren't always on the screen, they are shown only if speed isn't 0 . Is there a way to have speed and alt always displayed?
miami32 is offline Find More Posts by miami32
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:53 AM
France (near the ch'ti village)
Joined Apr 2007
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
Did anyone tried and remove the resistor from BAT2 to disable the voltage divider and have more resolution for RSSI?
I don't think it is a good idea, if you what to get more precision
use a lm358 as followed.
this schema * rssi signal from 1.9 to 2. how much strong is you rssi signal ?
from my r147f(1.00v bad signal to 1.70v good signal ) i use a in 50k+10k rather than 100k+10k in the first potentiometer close to ic1a.
I don't think second potentiometer is usefull (ic1b) for our use
fr3d-nexus is offline Find More Posts by fr3d-nexus
Last edited by fr3d-nexus; Oct 21, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:00 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3d-nexus View Post
I don't think it is a good idea, if you what to get more precision
use a lm358 as followed.
this schema * rssi signal from 1.9 to 2. how much strong is you rssi signal ?
from my r147f(1.00v bad signal to 1.70v good signal ) i use a in 50k+10k rather than 100k+10k in the first potentiometer close to ic1a.
I don't think second potentiometer is usefull (ic1b) for our use
I'm using Frsky, so the signal goes from 0.10v to 3.5v(not sure if it's that high).

The change I made was that from my calculation I went form having 117 steps to 717 steps. Thing is I need to change the code. Because at the moment as the two ports have the same divider the code uses the same formula for both.

I'll check that circuit. The FrSky RSSI is a PWM signal so I could move my RC filter into that scheme.
IceWind is online now Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:38 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami32 View Post
Very nice layout Atx! Just a little problem: I'm using this OSD on a quadcopter and I have uncommented #define STATISTICS_ENABLED because I don't need it but altitude and speed aren't always on the screen, they are shown only if speed isn't 0 . Is there a way to have speed and alt always displayed?
which code are you using...from post 1916 or post 1925? I think that was the bug I found and modified the code to fix for no statistics...ie post 1925
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Jul 2008
253 Posts
Could someone tell me if I can connect second device(Arduino/Netduino) to G-OSD's GPS in parallel to G-OSD to read GPS data? Is it straightforward or I would need something sophisticated to do that?
dziedrius is offline Find More Posts by dziedrius
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:38 PM
Joined Aug 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
which code are you using...from post 1916 or post 1925? I think that was the bug I found and modified the code to fix for no statistics...ie post 1925
Sorry, I feel a little dumb cause I didn't see the new version in post 1925, now it's ok.... Thanks for sharing your work!
miami32 is offline Find More Posts by miami32
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:17 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dziedrius View Post
Could someone tell me if I can connect second device(Arduino/Netduino) to G-OSD's GPS in parallel to G-OSD to read GPS data? Is it straightforward or I would need something sophisticated to do that?
from what I understand it would be very easy...the GPS unit is just constantly sending serial messages on its output (4800 baud I beleive)...as long as you dont load the signal down (ie wont if you just use a normal CMOS input of the uP to eavesdrop) you can listen in simultaneous to the G-OSD....look in the gps-NEMA.h file for the format of the two plain text messages it listens for...one has the normal GPS coordinates, # sats, HDOP, fix quality, etc... the other has ground speed and direction (bearing)...
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:01 AM
France (near the ch'ti village)
Joined Apr 2007
133 Posts
Quote:
from what I understand it would be very easy...the GPS unit is just constantly sending serial messages on its output (4800 baud I beleive)...as long as you dont load the signal down (ie wont if you just use a normal CMOS input of the uP to eavesdrop) you can listen in simultaneous to the G-OSD....look in the gps-NEMA.h file for the format of the two plain text messages it listens for...one has the normal GPS coordinates, # sats, HDOP, fix quality, etc... the other has ground speed and direction (bearing)...
correct
fr3d-nexus is offline Find More Posts by fr3d-nexus
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:35 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dziedrius View Post
I'm curious, where this idea is headed?

Icewind, DL2 gets RSSI=0.8-1.7V off-on. I agree with fr3d-nexus, that if you have like 1.9-2.0V range you probably need an opamp with offset and gain. It would be best to recalc the values on that schem so they work well with your particular rx. A cool bonus is if your rx doesn't have an RSSI buffer, it will after adding that circuit.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite