HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:41 PM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Jan 2010
59 Posts
Hi guys I put the CL osd firmware on my E-osd.. but I only get a small overlay circle in right.. I realize if i just switch on/off the connection of the video out i can see for few millisecond the rest of the information on the screen.. then gone..
Before when it was with the original firmware.. it worked ok. any suggestion?
luisgcu is offline Find More Posts by luisgcu
Last edited by luisgcu; Aug 25, 2012 at 01:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:37 AM
Joined Jan 2010
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisgcu View Post
Hi guys I put the CL osd firmware on my E-osd.. but I only get a small overlay circle in right.. I realize if i just switch on/off the connection of the video out i can see for few millisecond the rest of the information on the screen.. then gone..
Before when it was with the original firmware.. it worked ok. any suggestion?
After a few hours figuring out what was going on.. I found the answer.. changed the color system
in config.h..
.. next step connect GPS.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:36 PM
Opt
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2010
412 Posts
Can I request a feature...?

For some reason when I power up the video gear with the CL-OSD flashed I get no video and the LED flashes saying it has not received a video feed. If I power up the OSD a few seconds after the camera everything works ok. I think the camera (RCV922) does not output until a second or two after it is powered and the OSD checks during this period and decides there is no video feed then locks out the video signal entirely.

Can a timer be put in to start the OSD or check for a video signal a few seconds after being powered up? Or can the code be changed so it rechecks for a video feed periodically?
Opt is offline Find More Posts by Opt
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Jan 2010
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisgcu View Post
After a few hours figuring out what was going on.. I found the answer.. changed the color system
in config.h..
.. next step connect GPS.
Here is the modification I made to the original HK E-OSD.. The GPS gave some hard time with incompatibilities in the ttl level.. so I used a transistor to solve that problem.

I didn't tested yet.. the tropical storm Issac won't let me go out.. so I used the entire weekend to put all FPV gear in my quad.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:58 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by callelj View Post
Hi all!

I recently bought an E-OSD and a G-OSD but was very disappointed at finding out that it was missing an arrow home.

So what to do when you know AVRís and hardware? I made my own software for both! And since Iím not going to make any money of it, I released the full source code under GPL v2 at google code.

So far I have Text, some graphics, ADC input, time and GPS data. Next to do is making a nicer presentation of everything with an arrow home. Right now is mostly a debug printout. I will try to work on getting the last pieces into place but like any programmer knows the last 20% takes 80% of the time. ;-)

I have looked a lot at MegaPirateOSD by Syberian and use his character data (have already checked with him). The main difference is that I rewrote all of the code to make it as customizable as possible.

I had some problems with the optimizer when I tried to split into several c and h files. Since optimization is done on each c file in gcc the code got really large so I was forced to put all code into the headers. Not the best solution but it works. If anyone knows a solution please tell me.

Code is located here.

And yes I know the name sounds like "closed" but I promise it's open.

/Calle

If you like this project, buy me a beer:

(A beer is about 7$ at the pub and $3 in store here in Sweden)
Hi nice going. Does your firmware work with all the g osd's??

I have a programmer I used to program my T9x. Would that work?
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:56 AM
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
It sure does! And the soldering pads are next to each other. If you've freshly flashed the 9x and don't know much about programming, and the programming page is confusing, you might want to check this out: http://flitetest.com/articles/Flashi...SD_with_CL_OSD

If you're savvy with WinAVR, check this out: http://subsonichobby.blogspot.com/20...to-cl-osd.html

As an alternative to soldering to the pads, you could try the wooden peg method. I'm not sure who it's sourced from, but you can hot glue your wires in the correct order to a wooden peg and clip it on to the soldering pads.
lobstermash is offline Find More Posts by lobstermash
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Mar 2011
63 Posts
This link should work better.

http://subsonichobby.blogspot.com/20...to-cl-osd.html
SubSonichobby is offline Find More Posts by SubSonichobby
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:17 AM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
Thanks guys!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:38 AM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
I noticed my GOSDII with closd is actually decent as far as the precision goes, only the displayed coordinates were consistently off by the same amount, which was about a mile away (good luck recovering with a DVR if it gets lost!!!). I fixed this with the following changes, and now have the real position displayed on my screen. Now I'm a happy boy to spend $50 on another!

Insert the code at line 256 of text.h so it looks like this:
Code:
#ifdef GPS_GOOGLE_FORMAT
  uint32_t min = number - (hour * 1000000);
  min = (min * 100)/60;
//Calibrate Google GPS Coords
  if (numberLat) {
	  min = min + FUDGE_GOOGLE_LAT;    //Local calibration of Google GPS Lat (Truglodite)
  }
  else {
	  min = min + FUDGE_GOOGLE_LON;    //Local calibration of Google GPS Long (Truglodite)
  }
Also add this at line 146 in config.h:
Code:
//GPS
#define GPS_GOOGLE_FORMAT //**
//#define GPS_DIYD //Use DIYD/APM binary protocol (Thanks to David Collett)
#define FUDGE_GOOGLE_LAT 7382 //Local calibration of Google GPS Lat (Truglodite)
#define FUDGE_GOOGLE_LON 4728 //Local calibration of Google GPS Long (Truglodite)
...my GOSD II required +0.007382*N, and +0.004728*W of correction. You will likely have to change those numbers to match the error on your particular unit. I'm curious to find if others have the same GPS error. You can tell I'm a newb, because I didn't use #ifdef in text.h.

I attached a zip of my CL-OSD directory. Compiled GOSDII hex+eep files are in the G-OSD folder. Basic features are NTSC, imperial, V1, V2, home set with button only, no rssi, Google GPS with my personal error corrections, 20sec stats delay, coords always on, 10.8V alarms (both), 1mile ALT & SPD alarms, 70mph alarm.

Oh yeah, I've searched this and nothing came up. So if you want Google GPS coordinates always displayed, insert this in line 131 of layout.h (doesn't work with TEXT_COMPASS_ENABLED):
Code:
#ifdef TEXT_COMPASS_ENABLED		  
		  printCompass(gText[textId], 7, gGpsLastValidData.angle, 19); // Lower compass part
#else 
          pos = printGpsNumber(gText[textId], pos+4, gGpsLastValidData.pos.latitude, 1); // GPS position in place of text compas (Truglodite)
          pos = printGpsNumber(gText[textId], pos+2, gGpsLastValidData.pos.longitude, 0);
#endif //TEXT_COMPASS_ENABLED
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVbDuA-qV-w

Hope this helps a fellow newb,
Kev
This is pretty cool. Mine seems to be about 10 miles off and thinks I'm under sea level. Can you adjust the alt as well.?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:05 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,537 Posts
Yeah I'm pretty sure altitude adjustments can be made the same as lat/long. I started adding altitude correction to the code but haven't finished it yet; lost motivation after my FPV quad flew away and never returned. My replacement GOSD is arriving today, and the rest of my quad parts are probably going to be here near the end of next week. So I now have motivation to finish coding for altitude calibration in a week or 2. Keep in mind though, GPS altitude error is generally 1.5 times the horizontal error. This gives a clue what we can expect in general from GPS altitude; even with WAAS you're not going to see altitude's tighter than around +-20ft (without baro or sonar).

BTW, I've done 3 GOSD's so far, and they all required unique calibration values. So there's really no way around calibration if you are using coords for emergency recovery.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Aug 2012
5 Posts
Hi, first of all thanks for this custom firmware, it is very cool since I can decide what to put on the screen and it have an home arrow on a 40$ OSD!
I think I've found a little bug: I've followed Truglodite's method to have GPS coord always on the screen so in case I lose my quad I have the registration to find it, but I noticed if my coord are for example 44.012345N (using google format) I see on the screen 44.12345 (bye bye zero), not an "impossible to live with" bug but is there a way to fix this?
miami32 is offline Find More Posts by miami32
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:07 AM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
I'm using a clothes pin to build a quick connect to upload the firmware anyone else use this method?
Last edited by captaingeek; Aug 28, 2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:06 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,691 Posts
Just flashed my E-OSD and I wanted to have the text in the bottom of the screen rather than on the top.
Is it possible to do that using the button like in the stock FW?

I've tried the same process but it doesn't work.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:11 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
Just flashed my E-OSD and I wanted to have the text in the bottom of the screen rather than on the top.
Is it possible to do that using the button like in the stock FW?

I've tried the same process but it doesn't work.
I think you'll need to go into the config file and edit it to your liking then compile.

Did you compile or just use the pre compiled firmware?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:34 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek View Post
I think you'll need to go into the config file and edit it to your liking then compile.

Did you compile or just use the pre compiled firmware?
I've used the pre-compiled files. I used AVR studio to flash it so I can recompile if needed.
Btw it would be nice to have this information in the Wiki.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind