HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:54 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,427 Posts
The HET F-16 (v3) EDF installation is different. In previous versions the EDF unit is held in place by the intake duct and the thrust tube - that's it!
This HK (ProEDF) F-16 is supposedly the same however you have better access to it via the hatch. Despite this, I attached two balsa/ply blocks so that I could mount my EDF unit with some screws. A bit more weight however I think will be a bit more secure.

When doing the elevators, drill the holes for the bearings first. I secured mine by filing the ourside and using JB weld epoxy (JBW). Before you do this, make sure you use part (2) to align your elevator rods through the bearings and to the other side. These to pieces of ply with holes support the other side of the rod internally and also need to be glued in aligned vertically. I would secure these first before securing the servos but it's not critical.

Again I roughed up the inside of the glass thoroughly and used JBW to secure these.

As JBW takes 6 hours to cure - you have plenty of time to check alignment of the elevators - mine have a fair bit of anhedral as per the real F-16 and the photos in the preceding post.

Make sure you prepare your servo connectors. It's also easier to centre your servo, screw it on to the plate with the arm attached and the mini push rod in place. I'm using the z-bend end at the servo end - to save space - the arm goes underneath the control arm. I've done this before when space is tight and works fine.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:06 PM
" EMBRACE THE DARK SIDE '
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
now i see.those edf blocks need to be modified!ok will do,cheers for the elevator tips ant,will also do,guna get that jb glue,cheers
rudeboy579 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy579
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:44 AM
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
what could replace the two balsa blocks ant,then you just have to have a tiny balsa block sliding over the sides and then screw the edf to those little blocks,might be lighter
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:06 AM
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
how much they weigh ant:
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:42 AM
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
rudeboy..The wings are to be fixed.

Now Im remembering back to my HET version. #3 The 4 small peices of ply are to reinforce the screw holes to hold the Tail cone on. The canopy was held on with a pin in the nose and 2 magnets in the back. I never had a problem with it.

Be sure to install your esc in the thrust tube.
cheers vettster
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:47 AM
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
z band ant?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1671078
go down to where i show my retracts,this is what you mean?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:35 AM
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
job done on the bird,drilled the holesfor the elevator bearings,put them flush with washes taken from my trex450 head,
question,what would be a tolerable distance between the elevator and the fuse?i want to know if the washer i'm using isn't too big
also fixed balsa elevator rod support,i used polyester resin mixed with fibre glass that i have cut to liitle pieces giving me a kind of goo that i could work with,
also i have used a shorter screw for the elevator assembly that connects to your servo as the existing one was going side ways to follow the fuse line,hope the pics show what i poorly tried to explain(being a french speaker doesn't help)
just measured the gap,2mm,is it too much?
Last edited by rudeboy579; Aug 22, 2012 at 05:57 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:07 AM
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,427 Posts
Well done, I've been trying the wings on for size as I'm about to do the aileron servos internally in the fuse.

Mine fuse needed some trimming of the spar holes and the actual spars themselves - just a small sand with a file and they fit nicely.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:11 AM
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
cheers ant,have the same problem with mine,cheers for the filing tip,really looking forward to see how you are going to make them work internally
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:31 PM
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,427 Posts
The balsa/ply blocks didn't weigh much. You can use your method too - nothing wrong with it and carbon is very light and strong of course.

Ive be watching videos of people hand launching HET and ProEDF (HK) F-16s. Some mixed results.
SherlockShah has a big thread about his build and all the trouble he had with the elevator linkages.
He then had a second thread with a video showing that his finished model did not sucessfully hand launch.

My initial thoughts were that it looked like a wind-still day - and his release was pointed up at too high an angle and it rolled to the right. Not that best launch.

I think his setup was a bit heavy too - probably 1400g+

Worked on the internal ailerons last night, will finish tonight.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
cheers ant ant can you measure the gap between the elevator ant the fuse please?i've put washes and i want to know if they are too big or not
he has the same f-15 as me too that guy
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:42 PM
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,427 Posts
My gap is minimal - less than 1mm. You want to get it as close as possible.
I'll take some more photos tonight as with luck the wings should be attached.

Anyone thinking of hand launching this model - I think it should be doable. Keep the weight down, a good throw and make sure you have a 10kph head-wind!
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:07 AM
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,427 Posts
Okay here is a photo of the "servo in fuselage aileron mod".

Using torque rods bent to the right shape. It's a bit fiddly but I think it's worth it.

It's all just dry fitted and the final bend on the aileron side of the rod has been made.
I will pre-bend it before putting everything in place.

HXT900s will do the job for the ailerons, I have 939MGs for the elevators.

I may experiment with flaps if the model's maiden hand launch is a success.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:16 PM
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
great ant.have to see it hooked up to see exactly what you mean,great ideadef reduce the drag,hand lauch......
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:20 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,143 Posts
This plane has been hand launched many times before. Yes its slightly different from the HET version..but still very close. If you are using a light setup such as a Het 2W-20 on 4 or 5s you will easily be able to hand launch.

I just HATE it when people run to launch the plane...Are you reallly cutting it that close? that the 3mph difference is whats making the plane fly..LOL

But here ya go anyways
F 16 HET EDF Hand Launch (1 min 5 sec)
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!