SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 22, 2001, 06:42 PM
Joined Sep 2001
4 Posts
JATO or rocket booster on EDF??

I was settin off a few rockets today and I was thinkin how cool it would be to put on on the bottom of a EDF or a pusher....like the T-33 w/ upgraded motor or a Flying Styro F-16 XL wing pusher. I dont mean like in the ducts but on the bottom where it is visible. All you would need is a model rocket engine, wiring, igniter, 9 volt battery and micro servo. This might weigh a F-16 down real quick but still on a T-33 with a big motor would be cool. Even better if you installed landing gear on your T-33, get a jet assited take off (JATO). To launch it all you would do is make a engine mount for the rocket, connect the igniter to 2 peices of wire, attach 1 peice of wire to the 9 volt battery, the other to the servo (attached to the fuse with servo tape), and postion the servo so when you flip your switch (atleast on a JR 5 channel) the servo will make the wire touch the other side of the 9 volt. What do you guys think...to much weight? Will go straight down or something because of ballastics?? Tell me your thoughts or comments. Thanks.

Tom.
Tom J. is offline Find More Posts by Tom J.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2001, 07:06 PM
So tired
Bensalem, PA USA
Joined Apr 2001
167 Posts
or use the motor as the main propulsion source. Get something that burns long like the aerotech G33J
JJEXP is offline Find More Posts by JJEXP
Old Oct 22, 2001, 09:41 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,634 Posts
Could easily be done, but after boosting with a D12 a few times, you could have paid for a new Speed 400 and ESC at 3 bucks a shot.

And after a few Aerotech boosts, even with reloadables, you could buy a replacement T-33.

I have enjoyed doing R/C Rocket Gliders and R/C Boost gliders over the years and it is a fun thrill, but the economics are pretty poor on a per flight basis....

I still think a good bungee launcher is the best way to start those EDFs on their way.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Oct 22, 2001, 09:45 PM
Redmond, WA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
752 Posts
Hmm, a G-33 would certainly give an interesting ride (4-6x the thrust of a stock t-33, I think)--but I'd be leery of pulling any hi-G manuevers during the burn.
If anyone's interested, you may be able to find some of the HobbyLab SR-71s that eZoner Thomas B designed--two channel, E to F power, and was available on closeouts for as little as $85 with radio preinstalled. I've flown several, they're fun, but don't expect more than 30 seconds of stick time per flight.
And it's too bad about AeroTech:
http://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/
--the loss of their facility in Las Vegas may make mid- to high-power rocket motors awfully scarce for quite some time.
sguty is offline Find More Posts by sguty
Old Oct 23, 2001, 05:54 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,634 Posts
Wow, Steve, I have not been very active in HPR these days and had not heard about Aerotech's industrial accident. A bad thing and a real shame.

Speaking of the semi-infamous HobbyLab SR-71, I ran across a couple of the formed Depron shells for the Blackbird the other day in my disaster area/shop/garage.

(Paull Willenborg had a recent visit and will confirm the status as I describe it!)

The shells only weigh about 3.5oz total. I got to thinking what would happen if I left the wing on the upper surface only, and carefully added the lower fuse and nacelles to the full top skin. Add in an Acro Drive 350 from Hobby Lobby, very light radio and battery and one might just have an SR-71 park flyer...
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel