HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:15 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Jun 2011
118 Posts
Build Log
Swift (Launch Models)

Picked up my Swift, manufactured by Launch Models this morning. Thank you Adrian. I can't wait to get this baby in the air.

Name: Swift 1.JPG
Views: 85
Size: 129.1 KB
Description: Name: Swift 2.JPG
Views: 85
Size: 142.8 KB
Description: Name: Swift 3.JPG
Views: 82
Size: 148.4 KB
Description:

Name: Swift 4.JPG
Views: 75
Size: 149.3 KB
Description: Name: Swift 5.JPG
Views: 92
Size: 123.2 KB
Description: Name: Swift 6.JPG
Views: 78
Size: 135.7 KB
Description:

To be honest I had a sneak preview of his one last week but looking at it a bit closer it gets better and better. Just noticed all the live control surfaces have wipers on the reverse side. Superbly built, perfect finish and fit, main wing is very strong and light.

Not much info in regards to setup apart form a CG of 45 - 55mm from leading edge.

Planning to run a HET 2W-20 motor on 4S 2200 Nano's. Hyperion HP-DS09AMD servo's for each aileron and elevator. Should be quite a quick build, will pick up servo's tomorro and get cracking.

Any tips, ideas and comments please jump in and help a newbie out.

QDRevenger.
QDRevenger is offline Find More Posts by QDRevenger
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2011, 06:17 AM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
I'm glad you like it m8 i'm sure it will be up and running by the weekend just want to finish the little P51 mustang and then ill finish the swift
Adrian_M is offline Find More Posts by Adrian_M
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:58 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,381 Posts
Hey same colour scheme as my one Id suggest putting some orange on the tips, as it dissapears going vertically with clouds behind it, but I wont suggest it as it'll look to similar too mine then

Seriously great plane, you'll like it.

Gonna have to arrange a time to get em all in the air at once, Ill likely be out at clevedon (if its open) sunday, got a few maidens and a bungee launcher to try out.

My wasp/swift pulling some G's, the wing is strong and its really predictable plane. Has absolutely no vices, It'll often turn faster than I can think...

Mibo e-Wasp (5 min 29 sec)

Yours should be faster power on, Im running ~800W on a folding 8x9.4 prop.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Last edited by jackosmeister; Aug 17, 2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:23 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Jun 2011
118 Posts
Yeah, I'm picking it would need some colour on the topside. I won't make it a clone, I'll come up with something different. Would be good to have a few in the air, and interesting all with different power plants.

Looks like it flys well, can't wait. Hope it makes a good pilot out of me. Shot you a PM, I will be out that way on Sunday might pop over for a look and a yak.

QDRevenger.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 04:55 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2003
142 Posts
Just cracking into mine tonight - speed weekend coming up down here soon. Anyone got pics of their build yet? Would like to see how you have done your elevator horn and linkage...

Running a 2w-23 on 5s 2600 G3's and Hyperion 120A esc. Wont be at full throttle for more that a couple of secs with is setup...! Need to crack the 300kph mark and win me some braggin rights!

Cheers
Brett
Toast is offline Find More Posts by Toast
Old Aug 20, 2011, 06:13 AM
200mph +
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Sep 2010
931 Posts
Big thread over here with pics (Jacko's are on the 2nd page, mine are on the 8 or 9th):

http://www.parkflyers.org.nz/modules...d=1171&forum=8

How I did my linkage is the same as my Stilleto (but out the end of the fuse of course). Used a ball link and then a 2/56 clevis on the elevator horn. Servo mounted in the base of the tail up side down.

Can take more pics tomorrow if you want.

sykotic is offline Find More Posts by sykotic
Old Aug 20, 2011, 03:33 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Jun 2011
118 Posts
Thanks for all the links guys. Managed to get my aileron servo's mounted and operational. Had a few dramas with the servo's but after some reprogramming I got everything working sweet.

I'm a little stuck on the elevator control horn, couldn't tell from the pics how it's done, do I need to cut a slot in the elevator and epoxy it in? Couple of tips would be awesome.

Quote:
Running a 2w-23 on 5s 2600 G3's and Hyperion 120A esc. Wont be at full throttle for more that a couple of secs with is setup...! Need to crack the 300kph mark and win me some braggin rights!
Yeehaaa, should be a monster . Brett, chuck some pics on of your build on this thread. Interested to see how you set everything up.

QDRevenger.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 03:43 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,381 Posts
Quote:
do I need to cut a slot in the elevator and epoxy it in?
Yup

Heres the original wasp's manual, build is similar

http://www.der-schweighofer.at/public/files/23027.pdf
Old Aug 20, 2011, 04:55 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Jun 2011
118 Posts
Cheers Jacko, I did come across that manual yesterday, I'll have a look tonight. Have a good fly today, perfect weather outside. I'm stuck at work today .

QDRevenger.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 04:57 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Tower hobbies have the Phoenix ICE Lite 100 25V @ 118 usd if you buy 2 they are 227 usd free i have a free shipping voucher and also a 30$ discount are they any good ? never owned one
i'm now thinking 1W30 22004s 45c lipo and ice 100 light
i cant find anywhere that tell me the surge amperage of this esc even on the castle website does anyone know

Brett i got the spinners from

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/alloy-blad...-p-404628.html

They look good one for myself and two for Andrew really fast srevice too
Last edited by Adrian_M; Aug 20, 2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 08:59 PM
200mph +
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Sep 2010
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_M View Post
Tower hobbies have the Phoenix ICE Lite 100 25V @ 118 usd if you buy 2 they are 227 usd free i have a free shipping voucher and also a 30$ discount are they any good ? never owned one
i'm now thinking 1W30 22004s 45c lipo and ice 100 light
i cant find anywhere that tell me the surge amperage of this esc even on the castle website does anyone know

Brett i got the spinners from

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/alloy-blad...-p-404628.html

They look good one for myself and two for Andrew really fast srevice too
I've got two 100 lites and two 75 lites.

Great escs.

You won't find a burst rating anywhere written from castle. It's a massively wide scope. People are running 200 amps through them for short bursts, and I've run one at 120% of it's rating for 4mins, but its got awesome cooling (edf jet). The only thing that will kill it is heat pretty much.
sykotic is offline Find More Posts by sykotic
Last edited by sykotic; Aug 20, 2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 09:23 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Jun 2011
118 Posts
Adrian, good price for the ICE Lite 100A. Need to save my bucks for the Bandit

QDRevenger.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:12 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,381 Posts
Castle ICE's rock, you wont buy any more hyperion/scorpion esc's after using one, theyre a much slicker unit on all fronts.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 02:14 AM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykotic View Post
I've got two 100 lites and two 75 lites.

Great escs.

You won't find a burst rating anywhere written from castle. It's a massively wide scope. People are running 200 amps through them for short bursts, and I've run one at 120% of it's rating for 4mins, but its got awesome cooling (edf jet). The only thing that will kill it is heat pretty much.
you must have it setup on a switch to pull 200amps and that must be for a couple of seconds only

Esprit rates it at 100 cont 105 max
mine will be setup on the stick i expect to pull 130 + amps

Manufacturer Castle Creations
Applications Heli/Airplanes/Sailplanes
Special Features Data Logger, Phoenix Link
Cont/Max Amp 100/105A
Cells NiMH/NiCD 6-20 cells
Cells Li-poly 2-6 cells
Voltage 6-25V
Programming Fully Programmable
Type/Max BEC (A) Switching/5A
Max #Servos/V 6-8/5-7V
Dimensions 63.5mm x 28mm x 12.5mm
Weight 29g
Old Aug 21, 2011, 05:02 AM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Castle ICE's rock, you wont buy any more hyperion/scorpion esc's after using one, theyre a much slicker unit on all fronts.
I wouldn't go as far as saying that, looks like the Ice HV is been recalled never had any Hyperion or Scorpion HV recalled
Castle have had issues with HV controllers for years i remember 4 years ago when i was running brushless boats 3 of the club members where using Castle HV boat series every one of them had one go up in smoke i trashed the hell out of my MGM and Schulze Esc never had one fail on me
Last edited by Adrian_M; Aug 21, 2011 at 05:23 AM.