HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:38 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,678 Posts
Thanks guys.

I've got to get a better camera. The little LED on the camera is impossible to see in the daylight. I just went down to the field before work to try it out, after a couple more test flights at home to get the tail better (using the ball at 7.5mm), only to find the camera didn't film the flight. Argh!

Anyway, it flew very well. Inverted, flips, backwards, tail slide. Possibly the tail moved a bit on the bottom of the tail slide and with other extended high collective loads, but otherwise is was very solid, probably just need some more gain. Very stable inverted and in inverted circuits. Almost too stable for soft 3D. It actually felt a lot like the 550E FBL. So all up, I'm very pleased with it. Seriously thinking about getting one for the 250 now.

I have to admit though, that to get the tail more how I like it, I've tweaked the advanced tail tuning, after finding the back door to the settings. Most will find the stock settings fine, but since I knew what to change to get the feel I wanted, I did. Also selecting model 5 would have had a similar effect, which I will now try, now that I've flown it on model 3.

I'll do a post on setting up the 3GYS step by step next.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Last edited by beenflying; Oct 06, 2011 at 02:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2011, 05:15 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,261 Posts
Strange....I was trying to order a FBL 450 from ALZRC's site to no avail. It would not add anything to the shopping cart. Beenflying...have they given any word on when the 3 axis gyro will be available?
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Oct 05, 2011, 06:48 PM
Joined Aug 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
Strange....I was trying to order a FBL 450 from ALZRC's site to no avail. It would not add anything to the shopping cart. Beenflying...have they given any word on when the 3 axis gyro will be available?
you can put order on hk-parts or rc711.com.

Hey beenflying, does 3gys have a consistent and no-drift piro?
My trigger finger was itching to buy one at rc711.com since it is out of stock at hkparts.
kingjedix is offline Find More Posts by kingjedix
Old Oct 05, 2011, 11:56 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjedix View Post

My trigger finger was itching to buy one at rc711.com since it is out of stock at hkparts.
My advice would be to wait for the one from HK-parts. I'm told it shouldn't be too long now, before it's in stock. Be in quick though when it is.

The tail had no drift and the piro rate consistency is very good.
Old Oct 06, 2011, 12:29 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjedix View Post

They are out of stock of the 3 axis gyro. Good to know of another trusted site. Thx.

[QUOTE=beenflying;19516217]My advice would be to wait for the one from HK-parts. I'm told it shouldn't be too long now, before it's in stock. Be in quick though when it is.

Beenflying...Are they just out of stock of everything?? Nothing would add to my shopping cart from hk-parts website...
Old Oct 06, 2011, 01:41 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,261 Posts
Got a PM from hk-parts...Excellent customer service. Very responsive. Really excited about this product all. I will wait for it to be available on hk-parts site.
Old Oct 06, 2011, 02:49 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,678 Posts
Since my video attempt wasn't successful and I'm not going to be able to fly again for about a week or so, here's a video from ALZRC showing the 3GYS being put through it's paces on a 500, and more so than I could do.

ALZRC 3GYS System in Flight Test. (3 min 26 sec)

So the 3GYS is good for beginners right through to pro flying, and setup is very easy. As I mentioned, I'll be doing a step by step setup here, and if you have any problems, I'll be happy to help you through it.
Last edited by beenflying; Oct 09, 2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2011, 05:25 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,678 Posts
I tried out the model 5 "Extreme" this morning. It flew really well. Unlike the 3GX it didn't just increase the rates, instead it seems to reduce the FB stability and increase the agility, which I prefer. The effect is like reducing the Hiller and increasing the Bell (less flybar weight and more control direct to the blades). It was quite a bit windier this morning, but it was still nice to fly.

I would have to say this is my best 450 now, and certainly the one I will fly the most.

I videoed the flight, but it was only in my driveway again. I'll upload it if anyone is interested.

Also I'm going to be very busy over the next 7 days, so please excuse me if I don't reply quickly to any question.
Old Oct 06, 2011, 05:33 PM
USA, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Dec 2007
935 Posts
I hope they are on the market soon! I would really like to have one......or two!!
prop bender is offline Find More Posts by prop bender
Old Oct 06, 2011, 05:40 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
3 miles from AMA HQ Muncie, IN.
Joined Jan 2009
1,746 Posts
I've been looking at them as well.
cap231ex is offline Find More Posts by cap231ex
Old Oct 08, 2011, 09:53 AM
Joined Nov 2005
4 Posts
Multiple post...see below
cmsilvoy is offline Find More Posts by cmsilvoy
Last edited by cmsilvoy; Oct 08, 2011 at 09:58 AM. Reason: multiple post
Old Oct 08, 2011, 09:57 AM
Joined Nov 2005
4 Posts
Well, we'll see how this gyro works when it gets completely wrung out during super hardcore 3D
I have not seen anything yet that demonstrates that this gyro would work on a 600, 700, or nitro as well as it is doing on the 450, either.

Check out these vids of the Ebar in action on 550 and 600 size machines.
Needless to say, it also works better on a 90 nitro than the Skookum unit, shame we did not get video of that..... I am not sure why some people have been having trouble with the Ebar. Over 20 of them flying in the US that I know of and no problems whatsoever....

http://youtu.be/TFlGl7--twc
http://youtu.be/eOcKK0JloeA
Old Oct 08, 2011, 05:40 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,678 Posts
Nice flying!

I have the Ebar as well, on a 450. First impressions were really good, but I'm pretty sure my unit is faulty, and I couldn't get a reply from both KDS and RC711. It drifts left but is still flyable, if you are careful, by using trim in flight.

Flying the 3GYS and Ebar back to back on very similar helicopters, the 3GYS flies better, both cyclic and tail. The Ebar also has a slow wag which only goes away when the gain is too low for soft 3D. I accept this is on smaller helis, but I always say the smaller helis are a bigger challenge for any gyro to get right.

The biggest heli I fly is a 550E. I have no doubt based on the way this gyro flies on the 450 that it would be very good on a 550 as well. I'll leave it up to others to report back about anything larger.

This is just my honest opinion based on my experience with both units.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 10:16 AM
Joined Nov 2005
4 Posts
Check for slop in the tail.
Any slop, and the KDS Ebar is WAY too fast with its 32 bit processor and reaction to the rotation of the heli, and a slow tail servo or slop in the tail will show up as a wag that you just can not get rid of without super low gain.

Pm me and I'll see what I can do to help you get your EBar problems fixed.

Chris
Old Oct 09, 2011, 08:04 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,678 Posts
Thanks, Chris. The tail is stock Align and was working fine with the GP780. It has less slop than my other 450s. I'll probably convert it to another 3GYS, as being smaller it will fit better in the 450, and use the Ebar (if fixed or replaced) on one of my bigger helis, like the Gaui 425 or T500. Cheers David