Thanks for that. Might give it a try too
vanderbrander is offline Find More Posts by vanderbrander
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:58 AM
Roll with the changes...
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Nov 2012
91 Posts
Lost my bird this past weekend for no apparent reason. Still trying to figure it all out. Is it possible that a Spektrum DX8 / AR8000 combination would have any problems with the small amount of CF in the Viper combined with the Stumax CF? I know there is a bit of CF at the wing roots and I think the fan hatch is covered in it.

Full story at EDFDan.com

Let me know your thoughts and thanks.

Dan
RibarSRQ is offline Find More Posts by RibarSRQ
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:36 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,413 Posts
Very sorry to hear this. I hope you can get to the route of the problem.
Read the story it sound like the battery shifted
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Last edited by Robert Belluomini; Feb 27, 2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:38 AM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
819 Posts
Thats just the pits.
I hope you find the cause.
Cheers
Steve
STEVEAIR2 is offline Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:49 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,197 Posts
Vanessa c.g. Rig: How to.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_708060/tm.htm
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Feb 28, 2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:16 AM
Formerly "Heli Copter"
United States, CA, Watsonville
Joined Apr 2009
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RibarSRQ View Post
Lost my bird this past weekend for no apparent reason. Still trying to figure it all out. Is it possible that a Spektrum DX8 / AR8000 combination would have any problems with the small amount of CF in the Viper combined with the Stumax CF? I know there is a bit of CF at the wing roots and I think the fan hatch is covered in it.

Full story at EDFDan.com

Let me know your thoughts and thanks.

Dan
I have had a Spektrum Tx/Rx lock me out using a reversing Y. Spektrum has a warning about electronic Y's plugged into their receivers.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Experience...Practices.aspx
Jetsom is online now Find More Posts by Jetsom
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:35 AM
Just an Earth bound misfit - I
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,096 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I had a spectrum Dx8 last year that locked out in my 70mm viper causing me to ditch in the water. Thankfully it floated and the damage wasn't too bad but it's sickening when it happens.

After several other lockout events with the same tx but different rx, I sent the whole thing back to Horizon. To their credit, they update the tx software, replaced both my 7 channels with brand new DSMX rx, bench checked my AR8000 and shipped it all back for free.

You Couldnt complain about the customer service but my biggest issue was they couldn't find the root cause of the problem. That plus all the issue so many others had with that particular radio, gave me zero confidence.

I now fly a Hitec aurora 9 with full confidence and have been very happy since.

I'm not bashing spectrum. Some guys swear by them and have no issues. I'm just relating my personal experience, which sound similar to your.

Once again, so sorry.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:53 PM
Roll with the changes...
Joined Nov 2012
91 Posts
My oldest son is a Citation pilot. Here's what he had to say:

How slow were you in the turn? I didn't see it but my only guess would be you skidded the turn and stalled the right tip.... BIG problem in aviation. Main reason for aviation crashes after fuel starvation.

It is very possible that he's right with that whisper quiet stumax....I am sending the DX8 back to HH for them to check it out before I use it again. I use the same TX for three other airplanes with no problems at all.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:24 AM
Roll with the changes...
Joined Nov 2012
91 Posts
Guys -- Here's a short clip from 2 seconds before I put it in the dirt. Take a look and tell me if you think I might have NOT had enough energy. Don't hold back... let me have it.

Viper Crash Theory. Stall, Spin, Crash? (1 min 10 sec)

Thanks!
Dan
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:09 PM
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,096 Posts
Doesnt look like you were going too slow, no unusual high attitude, or tight turn.

however i did notice It seemed to leap off the ground on the takeoff and climbed out very steeply. Was the cg too far back for the 2nd flight? Did you secure the batt? Did it feel unusually touchy? I'd be betting the batt shifted but its conjecture from a very short video. Can you recount your steps and be absolutely certain you secured the batt?

Only other explanation is this. If you did have a rx lockout (like I did) one thing I found with my ar8000 during post crash analysis was the controls would twitch during the reboot (which took about 1.5sec). If that's the case it might explain the sudden snap, lack of control, then inexplicable recovery before ( perhaps) a second reboot??

Try it on the bench. Set up some servos and simulate a reboot by disconnecting the battery then quickly reconnecting. See what happens.

Again it's pure conjecture and I hope you get to the bottom of it
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:43 PM
Roll with the changes...
Joined Nov 2012
91 Posts
Vander -- From the first flight, I was losing so much lift from the GoPro that I still had a lot of up elevator trim. since I wasn't too sure about the goPro as the cause I decided to correct it in the air. Ultimately the elevator trim was neutral.

Regarding the batteries, in the wreckage the battery casings (the plastic covering) was still attached to the floor. The guy with me even stated "And they say velcro doesn't work"... so they still attached.

Thanks for the thoughts. It seems like a very exciting and normal flight up to the point of the crash.

Peace.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:12 PM
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,096 Posts
Good. At least you've ruled out cg.

Try bench testing your radio. You may be surprised how it reacts to a reboot.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:34 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
are you using any servo reversing "Y" servo leads in you setup? like for flaps or elev
also did you check at the crash site for flashing light on the reciever, provided the reciever pack was not ejected
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:49 PM
Roll with the changes...
Joined Nov 2012
91 Posts
Had a great talk with BillyD this afternoon. I'll let him expand on what I'm about to say. Sounds a lot like I had too much throw on the elevator.

Everything was set as Billy suggested on my low rates -- elevator was at 10mm each way. I checked and rechecked this so I know it was right. BUT, I had thrown it on high rates to get enough movement out of the nose wheel to get it lined up for take off and probably forgot to put it back to low rates (was a little excited). So you can see me pop off the runway and pull hard on the turn.

Bottom line? My problem. I screwed up.

So big warning here -- listen to BillyD and the guys who are in the air when setting your throws. Hopefully my pile of composites and electronics will help someone else not end up in the same spot.

My beautiful wife exclaimed "at least it was a SPECTACULAR crash"....

Peace.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:51 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jul 2006
542 Posts
What you did flying wise looked perfectly fine to me. Not too slow etc etc.
What is you failsafe set to. See many guys with Spectrum (not picking on them ) not setting their failsafe after a model is set up.A mate here has an F5B glider that had a weird failsafe which if it had activated would have been a very unusual crash based on the servo positions if it had gone into failsafe

Chris
icicles is online now Find More Posts by icicles
Closed Thread