HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2011, 01:46 PM
kin
Composite factory
Joined Sep 2007
3,261 Posts
Discussion
Smartmodel new tail shaft drive system

Smartmodel know the market of the belt drive mechanic are less and less . So Smartmodel have corresponds to the method of this situation . The new convert kit (Universal joint and adjustable angle elbow gear box )set are completed the design and coming out very soon . This design are "conect" the power drive shaft by gear and the power lost is nothing or only 1-2 % ! But the old belt drive are so many resistance when you tight the belt tension .if the belt tension are not enough the tail gear are slip and lost of power .but too tight are so much more lost . Smartmodel new idea are let you can have the front tilt angle possible in the front mechanic because the front are join w/ a universal joint Just (Plug to the original Align trex 600 and 700 tail drive shaft connector). and than you can adjust you front tilt angle in the front mechanic . the main shaft are safty hold by the original tail boom and loin w/ the new elbow gear box .and a special gear box let the power direction change inside a gear set box .a short length shaft let you raise your (original gear box locate in the raise tail fin ) .So you can still use the original shaft and very easy to convert it your self .But for save your working time . smartmodel will let you semi assemble some part and the tool are included ! you can make this system in 1-2 hours only !
kin is offline Find More Posts by kin
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kin; Aug 16, 2011 at 02:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2011, 02:08 PM
kin
Composite factory
Joined Sep 2007
3,261 Posts
The Kit will included in list : 1x universal joiner ,1x longer main drive shaft included one side factory assemble cross joiner (to fit Align 600/700shaft version). 1X Elbow gear box set . 1x shorter drive shaft (included one side factory assembled cross joiner(to fit Align 600/700n original tail gear box ) . So customer only cut the length of the main drive shaft and join again the shaft by a cutting tools (kit included) .and than cut the length of the shorter raise tail drive shaft .That all ! so 1-2 hours should be easy to build this system ! The elbow gear have some mounting hole let easy to mount in ,arket many different scale fuselage . .The coming scale helicopter is different ! .......EASY !
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2011, 03:35 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Someone should do this for smaller helicopters too 450-500 cause there are alot of em out here.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Aug 16, 2011, 05:40 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Hi Kin,

Good news you telling here.

I was busy to get a CF belt tail assembly inside my Apache tail but its a real pain to get it there and in the same time the belt ....

Now I understand why you recommended your new tail assembly what is thinner and no need to drill large holes inside the tail.

Now is my question when I order your new tail shaft drive system
Do I need to order the thinner tail assembly anyway?
Because I know now that I want your other smaller (and smarter) tail gear.

Kind regards,

Jan.
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Old Aug 16, 2011, 06:36 PM
Mini-Me is watching you...
Hemet, CA
Joined Aug 2010
512 Posts
cool
thenodemaster is online now Find More Posts by thenodemaster
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:56 AM
Deutschland
Joined Jun 2005
29 Posts
Hi Kin,

sounds interesting..when do you think it is available on the market?

Best regards
Wolfgang
woolf_66 is offline Find More Posts by woolf_66
Old Aug 17, 2011, 02:32 AM
kin
Composite factory
Joined Sep 2007
3,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthdrk View Post
Someone should do this for smaller helicopters too 450-500 cause there are alot of em out here.
i also have plan it in small 500 will come out , but 450 need see how many space in the elbow . i need do it very small size .
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2011, 02:34 AM
kin
Composite factory
Joined Sep 2007
3,261 Posts
The mass production will come out next week end or end this month . the gear set are ready .just doing the cnc frame of the elbow .so it will come out very soon .500 size will in the next step .
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2011, 02:35 AM
kin
Composite factory
Joined Sep 2007
3,261 Posts
in the future scale fuselage are different ...............VERY EASY
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:41 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Tail gear direction

Hi Kin,

I have a question, In the Apache the tail blades are opposite located (Left side) then the stock Trex or kloon heli (right side) when you use a belt then there is no problem.

With a torc tube you have a problem or is there some trick you have to chance the direction of the output shaft? (placing the little gear wheel to the oposite site in the tail/maingear?)

Kin I read over your first post and I think you give the answer already if I'm correct you wrote [and a special gear box let the power direction change inside a gear set box] do I understand it correctly?

Greetings,

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Last edited by Horseman; Aug 17, 2011 at 05:47 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:10 AM
kin
Composite factory
Joined Sep 2007
3,261 Posts
YES! This gear system will make the original spin direction change to reverse direction . so it is some different combination , we have 4 choice ! if you make the front rotor cw .you also can change(rotate the rotor head) to left or right , it have two different , and than you can change the front rotor head direction (upside down the one way bearing ) , the tail are reversed , so in first , choice the front rotor head direction first . tha tail direction can not change if you fix one direction in the tail rotor .Belt can change the direction , but shaft can not . but hope you don't mind the spin direction in your tail rotor , in fact we have flying irt in different direction , it is no different feeling ! so no worry it !
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:52 AM
kin
Composite factory
Joined Sep 2007
3,261 Posts
The drawing for the elbow gear box ,the principle is same a car differential gear box .the side gear let me possible change the shaft angle , but the direction will reverse .
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:57 AM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2004
1,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kin View Post
YES!...Belt can change the direction , but shaft can not . but hope you don't mind the spin direction in your tail rotor , in fact we have flying irt in different direction , it is no different feeling ! so no worry it !
Not necessary. My Pave Hawk has main rotor spinning at CCW. If were to use drive shaft alone, it will end up having tail rotor (on the right side) spin downward. So, I improvise a "reversal" gearbox to reverse the direction before feeding it to the tail rotor. Thus, the tail rotor spin upward rotation.

SH
Super_Hornet is offline Find More Posts by Super_Hornet
Old Aug 17, 2011, 08:25 AM
kin
Composite factory
Joined Sep 2007
3,261 Posts
The photo show are the principle why need a bevel gear and show possible adjust the tail angle for different model .but the second gear box design are fix the tail angle ,no chance change the angle .
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2011, 08:28 AM
kin
Composite factory
Joined Sep 2007
3,261 Posts
But i don't want make any more the plastic injection mold for the different angle bevel gear , the cost so high. and no chance to cover the cost . and i can change the design easy , i have our cnc machine !
RCG Plus Member