HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2011, 07:26 AM
Joined Jun 2011
44 Posts
Question
Turnigy 6364-230Kv on 8s....but which ESC?!?

Hi there,

I am looking at installing the Turnigy SK 6364 230Kv motor into my
Hanger 9 P47 60 size and running it on 8s Lipo's ideally on a 3blade.

Would anyone have an idea about which ESC I should be using please?

Thanks in advance

Ryan
ryanrcflyer is offline Find More Posts by ryanrcflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2011, 01:33 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,529 Posts
You have two options IMO, go with the Hobbywing platinum series HV controllers, I'd suggest the 100 or 120amp versions. Hobby King sells them under the K force brand. Be sure to purchase the Programming Box, it allows very easy setups without brain seizures listening for the beeps!!
The second is more $$,has the advantage of a useful warranty. It the Castle Creations line of HV ESC in approx the same sizes. If you go this route, do buy the Castle Link, computer based setup is about as simple as it gets.
I'd go with the 12S rated units here, at least 20% larger capacity than highest amps expected.
FWIW Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Aug 22, 2011, 07:21 AM
Joined Jun 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley View Post
You have two options IMO, go with the Hobbywing platinum series HV controllers, I'd suggest the 100 or 120amp versions. Hobby King sells them under the K force brand. Be sure to purchase the Programming Box, it allows very easy setups without brain seizures listening for the beeps!!
The second is more $$,has the advantage of a useful warranty. It the Castle Creations line of HV ESC in approx the same sizes. If you go this route, do buy the Castle Link, computer based setup is about as simple as it gets.
I'd go with the 12S rated units here, at least 20% larger capacity than highest amps expected.
FWIW Doug B
Hi Doug,

Many thanks for the reply - apologies for delay coming back I was in Edinburgh for the Fringe festival!

Yes I was looking at the KForce ESC but they are still on backorder at the mo with HK.

I just read somewhere a way someone calculated his AMPs. As I was thinking about using 40c rated NanoTech Lipo's I am a little confused with what ESC I actually may need! Calculation below;

40c x 8000mah / 1000 = 320AMPs??? Is this right, or was this guy way off on his calculations??

Thanks,

Ryan
ryanrcflyer is offline Find More Posts by ryanrcflyer
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:51 AM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
Ryan

Check these out. A bit dearer than HobbyKing but in stock.

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/hobbywing-...-p-403870.html

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/hobbywing-...-p-403867.html

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/hobbywing-...-p-403901.html

I have been running the 70A version on 9S up to 65A static without any problems.
RobC(UK) is offline Find More Posts by RobC(UK)
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:59 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,529 Posts
Series Battery amps and C

[QUOTE=ryanrcflyer;19111319]Hi Doug,

Many thanks for the reply - apologies for delay coming back I was in Edinburgh for the Fringe festival!

Yes I was looking at the KForce ESC but they are still on backorder at the mo with HK.

I just read somewhere a way someone calculated his AMPs. As I was thinking about using 40c rated NanoTech Lipo's I am a little confused with what ESC I actually may need! Calculation below;

40c x 8000mah / 1000 = 320AMPs??? Is this right, or was this guy way off on his calculations??

Thanks, Hi Ryan Battery C rating has nothing to do with the size of the ESC.
The prop size and voltage selected determines the amperage the motor uses to spin the chosen prop. The C rating on a battery shows the theoretical max amps the battery can deliver. IE: a 2000mah battery at 20C should be capable of dlivering 40amp, so yes, if there was such a thing as an 8000mah 40C, it should do 320 amps. Typically, for 8S, you would use a matched pair of 4S batteries in series, 2 4000mah bat in series is still 4000capacity, but double the voltage. Higher C rated batteries deliver a more consistant voltage,with less volt drop, and higher amp draws. A motor pulling say 50 amp from series connected batteries means 50 amps is being pulled from each battery. Confused yet, I hope this helps at little at least. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley