HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2012, 02:45 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Painting

Hello,

I have flown the mechanics this weekend and it works well.
This motor handle the forces with ease and stays cool and that's counts also the ESC and battery.
The battery is now a 8 cells instead of 10 cells with the previous Motor.
With scale like flying I can stay airborne for 14minutes so later when the fuselage are attached 10 minutes can be done with ease I assume.
So this motor looks just fine.

Now some update of the fuselage,

Starting to set the fuslelage in the desert colours,

Then some photo's at the field,

Here the mechanics and the fuselage,

Yes it fits

And just some nice photo's

Later this day I did the exhaust area,

Panel lines, weathering etc still to come,

Then a photo of my fleet, a Hughes tow defender with a trex 500 inside,
Then a stock Align 600 ESP, and the apache mechanics 600 size and fuselage.

It was finely a nice day to take the toys to the field

Kind regards,

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2012, 10:24 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,280 Posts
All looking really nice.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2012, 11:44 PM
kin
Joined Sep 2007
3,213 Posts
Looking super !!!!!!!!!!!!!!I have offer you one more good news ! the 600mm scale swept tip carbon friber rotor blades are coming out soon ! so you have a scale rotor blades for your Apache soon . it is from RCA , we making it and will in June out market !
kin is offline Find More Posts by kin
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:39 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Hello all,

Starting to ad panel lines because I not going to ad refits but just adding the suggestion of it. at least I try

So take a look at the results,

I use magnets to connect the hatch at the location of the main shaft .

And the hatch itself are split in two for ease maintenance at the head.

I also ad the antenna at the side of the tail,

So it begins to look nice now.
Now adding the numbers etc ,lights, weathering and than putting in the mechanics.
So I'm not ready yet
Not to mention the cockpit

Regards,

Jan,
Last edited by Horseman; Jun 04, 2012 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Forgotten to mention the cockpit
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:15 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,877 Posts
Very nice work! Looks great
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:49 AM
kin
Joined Sep 2007
3,213 Posts
news !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 600mm Apache carbon rotor blades coming soon from RCA ! But i sponsor you a set for testing !
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:43 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kin View Post
news !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 600mm Apache carbon rotor blades coming soon from RCA ! But i sponsor you a set for testing !
awesome Kin,
IL be happy to test them for you It will look very very good on this Apache

Much appreciated

Kind regards,

Jan,
Old Jun 07, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Wow jan thats looking awesome. i bet you cant wait to get her up in the air. ive clocked a good hour of flight time on my apache now and shes absolutely lovely to fly, my pride and joy. she is pretty much done, i built a cockpit myself, and have not yet received any word back from robcon-rc about my instrument panels. they said they were in production and i would have them in 2-3 weeks, but i've not since heard back.

Im about to upload some pictures over on my thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post21341939

Im happy to hear your motor worked out. My hyperion 500kv / turnigy k-force 120A HV esc combo with 10-cell 4200 lipo yields me 6 minutes of flying time with 25% residual battery. its not good for battery life to take them below 20% at any time im told.

I unfortunately am still waiting on the 500kv motor i purchased from smartmodel, i was sent an 800kv one instead which is uselss to me. all i ever get from kin is a reply saying he will ask the factory because he is waiting on a new design, then i wont hear from him again for weeks. i might just get a credit on a pair of the swept tip blades instead because both my apache and Hughes 600 size helis are now both running perfectly with multiblade heads and the power trains all work fine and run cool.

for reference, my esc runs at 34degrees celcius, motor, 42deg, batteries 22deg. my cooling fan system works a treat and the fuse always remains cool after a flight

one slight problem im finding using multi blade heads, which someone on here may be able to help me with is, during fast forward flight, with both helis, i am getting a slight cyclic wobble, its a lot worse when theres wind at the airfield. um using the beastx microbeast, ive tried reducing and increasing cyclic gain, no luck. my head speed on the apache is 1250rpm, the hughes is 1600rpm(4blade head running 740kv/9tpinion/83t maingear-compass knight) im using tf models semi symmetrical 600mm carbon infused blades, ive tried tightening and loosening on both, no joy, still get the wobble,.

help!
JayNZ is offline Find More Posts by JayNZ
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:48 PM
kin
Joined Sep 2007
3,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNZ View Post
Wow jan thats looking awesome. i bet you cant wait to get her up in the air. ive clocked a good hour of flight time on my apache now and shes absolutely lovely to fly, my pride and joy. she is pretty much done, i built a cockpit myself, and have not yet received any word back from robcon-rc about my instrument panels. they said they were in production and i would have them in 2-3 weeks, but i've not since heard back.

Im about to upload some pictures over on my thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post21341939

Im happy to hear your motor worked out. My hyperion 500kv / turnigy k-force 120A HV esc combo with 10-cell 4200 lipo yields me 6 minutes of flying time with 25% residual battery. its not good for battery life to take them below 20% at any time im told.

I unfortunately am still waiting on the 500kv motor i purchased from smartmodel, i was sent an 800kv one instead which is uselss to me. all i ever get from kin is a reply saying he will ask the factory because he is waiting on a new design, then i wont hear from him again for weeks. i might just get a credit on a pair of the swept tip blades instead because both my apache and Hughes 600 size helis are now both running perfectly with multiblade heads and the power trains all work fine and run cool.

for reference, my esc runs at 34degrees celcius, motor, 42deg, batteries 22deg. my cooling fan system works a treat and the fuse always remains cool after a flight

one slight problem im finding using multi blade heads, which someone on here may be able to help me with is, during fast forward flight, with both helis, i am getting a slight cyclic wobble, its a lot worse when theres wind at the airfield. um using the beastx microbeast, ive tried reducing and increasing cyclic gain, no luck. my head speed on the apache is 1250rpm, the hughes is 1600rpm(4blade head running 740kv/9tpinion/83t maingear-compass knight) im using tf models semi symmetrical 600mm carbon infused blades, ive tried tightening and loosening on both, no joy, still get the wobble,.

help!
The plastic blades in this length 600 is too soft , so change to the new carbonfriberglass blades is much safty for your beautiful bird and don't take this risk !! the new carbon blades will sent you next week !
this is the link of the new blades : http://www.smartmodel.com.hk/product...3&third_id=245
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Quote:
The plastic blades in this length 600 is too soft , so change to the new carbonfriberglass blades is much safty for your beautiful bird and don't take this risk !! the new carbon blades will sent you next week !
this is the link of the new blades : http://www.smartmodel.com.hk/product...3&third_id=245

AH-HA! damn i wish i knew that before i just paid 200USD for 5 blade tf model set! awesome kin that is great news. can you tell me if the blades will be black color? or do we have to paint ourselves and then re-balance? thanks looking forward to testing them/
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
jan, are you going to add rivets or are you just going to weather the panel lines? the lines look really standout. im wishing i did something a little similar in between the rivet lines. if you want to automate your gun, i can draw you plans and send through if you like. mine works great and is a bit of a wow factor at the airfield.

re: bulkhead hatch, i at first tried just magnets, but vibration on spoolup was enough to shake it loose, and i had very strong magnets. its bad because you do not want that bulkhead hatch coming loose at any time. i found i had to use2mm hollow brass tube on the hatchwith 1.5mm solid brass tube sticking up out of the bulkhead and create a set of pins on either side that the hatch plugs into. worked great.

also, the antenna on the tail mast looks outstanding, what did you make it out of? i used piano wire for my antenna on top of the rotor mast. worked well.

loving the update, now i have itchy feet again and need to build a black hawk 600 size, or sell my apache and do it all over again, but better! haha. you know that old saying, "if i knew then what i know now"? yup.!
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:43 PM
United States, WA, Steilacoom
Joined Nov 2011
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Hello all,

I'm considering to put in my bird a four bladed head and I'm stumbling to this one, its not that expensive and on stock.

Its a Copter X head but I can not find for so far any reviews of it.
So my question are will it perform well or not.

My intentian are to run it with a Skookum 360 first and go later to a Skookum 720 or Helicommand Rigid when the Apache are finished because of there bailout functions what the 360 not have. (I have a 360 already)

I want to fly the mechanics first without the body with the new tail driven unit from Kin and after thats works OK I want to go for the fourblades head and tail.
So I'm orientating what to do.

So I can use some advise with this one

Kind regards,

Jan,
I'm using the same Copter X falpping hinge head 600 size on my MD500 Tow Defender along side with a AR7200BX specktrum/Beastx flybarless system. I love the way this head performs. Works great with the beastx and I'm using it with the Funkey 600mm symmetrical fiberglass scale blades. Awesome combination...

How did you get the scale blades to fit on the Copter X blade grip? did you sanded it down to get a fit... I try mines but the fit was very tight... so I decided to go with funkey fiberglass scale blades...
josereyes is online now Find More Posts by josereyes
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:38 PM
kin
Joined Sep 2007
3,213 Posts
the swept blades i think will be black or cabon cloth look ! you can paint it , very easy job !
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2012, 01:14 AM
Home of the Scale RNLAF AH-64D
Joined Aug 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
the swept blades i think will be black or cabon cloth look ! you can paint it , very easy job !
Some pictures available allready of the new scaleblades kin?
Bonechopper is offline Find More Posts by Bonechopper
Old Jun 09, 2012, 05:17 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNZ View Post
jan, are you going to add rivets or are you just going to weather the panel lines? the lines look really standout. im wishing i did something a little similar in between the rivet lines. if you want to automate your gun, i can draw you plans and send through if you like. mine works great and is a bit of a wow factor at the airfield.

re: bulkhead hatch, i at first tried just magnets, but vibration on spoolup was enough to shake it loose, and i had very strong magnets. its bad because you do not want that bulkhead hatch coming loose at any time. i found i had to use2mm hollow brass tube on the hatchwith 1.5mm solid brass tube sticking up out of the bulkhead and create a set of pins on either side that the hatch plugs into. worked great.

also, the antenna on the tail mast looks outstanding, what did you make it out of? i used piano wire for my antenna on top of the rotor mast. worked well.

loving the update, now i have itchy feet again and need to build a black hawk 600 size, or sell my apache and do it all over again, but better! haha. you know that old saying, "if i knew then what i know now"? yup.!
Hi Jay,

I was intending to do the rivets as you did, but I know the effect of doing panel lines with weathering and that can look well if you do it right and thats always (at least for me) a little nervous making job..... but I did it with a ME 262
I did the paint job for the factory who makes this kits.

And even I draw the revits

So I can still ad them because I did not start the weathering yet. It still looks cool.

Why not adding the lines afterwards Jay? you only need to clear coat it again after the panel lines.

I still need to make the markings and you did a very nice job with that.
I will e-mail you about that.
I was not intending to make the gun working but it will ad a lot off fun I guess, So if you like I will be more than happy if you can mail me your plans.
About plans, do you have something of that from your cockpit it looks awesome Now I have to do that...........

Thanks for the warning about the hatch I was hoping it will hold but thats gone now so I will ad your solution or just ad one or two 2mm bolts to keep it in place.
The antenna attached at the tail is made from (indeed piano wire 0.40mm)
And (dutch. split pennen) I do not know the English name for it
however I have to make some photos first to explain it to you guys.Its easy but I do not know how to tell it. So I will be back for that one.

About that itchy feet you have, well I'm thinking at the Aerodyne blackhawk 600 size but Kin has mentioned that the 800 size are also no problem for a 600 mechanic so I'm not knowing yet what to do....

josereyes,

I have the same head and blades as you are and I had no problem at all to attach the blades? and they are sitting tight but they can swing.

I fly with a Helicommand Rigid that works great and the bail out function gives me a lot of peace of mind.

Kin,

You make me a bit scared now you say:
The plastic blades in this length 600 is too soft , so change to the new carbon fiberglass blades is much safety for your beautiful bird and don't take this risk.

I have the same blades Jay has.
Well the swept wing blades you send me will take care for that.

But as far I see the TF blades performing very well but you may not turn faster then 1350 or higher rpm other you got indeed the big whoooooooooooooooo resonating in the blades, but with 1250rpm no problem at all.

Sunday the 10th we have a big scale meeting here in Holland and I hope to see some sea/black hawks in 600 size and 800 size so then I can see what we are talking about. If the weather permitted
I will be there with my Apache and there will be a few other Apaches also so I expect to see and learn a lot Sunday.

I will be back with the Antenna question.

Regards,

Jan,