HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:24 AM
kin
Joined Sep 2007
3,236 Posts
Ha! Ha! I forget !
when you can complete it w/ the fuselage and have video !!! but i have no youtube here china , need to back hk to see your video .
kin is offline Find More Posts by kin
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 05:18 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Hi Kin,

What size of battery's do you recommended to use with this set-up in my Apache?

Two 4 sells 4000mA 40C or going higher by example two 4 sells 5000mA 40C?

Regards,

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:20 AM
kin
Joined Sep 2007
3,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Hi Kin,

What size of battery's do you recommended to use with this set-up in my Apache?

Two 4 sells 4000mA 40C or going higher by example two 4 sells 5000mA 40C?

Regards,

Jan,
I have use 4x 2s 5000mah , why i recommend you buy 4x 2s ! if you need the battery also install under the (Floor inside the cockpit ) 2s battery are much easy to let your battery sit under the cockpit pilot seat , and easy to put your battery more different style to fit the fuselage , For example , i just 4 piece battery to fit my 800 uh-1 that is 4 piece flat and under the cockpit floor , but i put it to the 800 seahawk i need two set 4s in two side . so more separate piece more flixable to fit the cockpit and eary install , so you must keep this idea . 2s battery pack is best ! and you can easy to check which piece battery is dead and exchange it . if the battery cell have dead in middle how you change it , but 2s is easy !!!! Right !
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:58 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Hi Kin,

Thanks for your advise and I purchased 4X two sell 5000mA battery's
and they arrive this week.

By the way can you tell me the amount of pools your 700size motor have?
My castle Creation 80 software to set the speed wants to know that.

Regards,

Jan,
Old Mar 07, 2012, 02:30 PM
Home of the Scale RNLAF AH-64D
Joined Aug 2011
7 Posts
Looking good Jan,

Where did you get the radar mount adapter for on top of the rotor?

Grz. Bone
Bonechopper is offline Find More Posts by Bonechopper
Old Mar 07, 2012, 08:00 PM
kin
Joined Sep 2007
3,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonechopper View Post
Looking good Jan,

Where did you get the radar mount adapter for on top of the rotor?

Grz. Bone
i have the radar but it is the 64-A version not the big burger !
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2012, 03:31 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Hello all,

Some updates about the build,

I have got the nice new 500kV Motor from Smartmodels and build it in my frame the same day I got it ,hooked up the 4 two cells lipos (8 cells) and a 13 teeth pinion.

Well the result was a bit disappointing because the rotor was not able to run the head at 1200 rpm but a lot less.
Throttle curve flat 90%

Fitted a bigger pinion 15 and the result was better but still not feeling good
Throttle curve flat 85%
The heli fly time was only 8 minutes and that is the same I already had??

Then I took a 6 cells and a 4 cells together to make a 10 cells battery and now its rocking I have now good response on the pitch and the flying time are now aprox 11 minutes 25 % left in the battery. with the head spinning at 1250 rpm.
Throttle curve flat 75%

I do not know why its not performing well on 8 cells as I took the advice from Smartmodels to use this setup, but now on 10 sells it works.

Are maybe a 800kV motor a better option? because a battery pack from 8 or 10 sells are a big difference in costs and weight. and volume

Besides this I trust this set-up so, that I start to move it into the Apache fuselage and swapping a motor is not a problem if needed.

First I put in the aft raised tail gear inside the tail.

And need to make some holes to get the tail rotor head fixed (mistaken once the aliment of the fixing bolds)

Here I temporary fitted the heli mechanic (only the tail are fixed). and a stock Align T-Rex 600 same type are inside the Apache

The head with the Smartmodels radar/air nozzle. Its not on there website, just e-mail Kin for it.

Looking nice already,

Kind regards,

Jan,
Last edited by Horseman; Mar 26, 2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:04 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Hi,

I has to make a new tail frame to support the tail gear because the old frame for the removed belt drive was gone.

And some wooden strips to strengthen the tail itself and the tail mounting plate.

The tail gear are sitting nice and is good to reach if needed.

With the stock tail linkage holders its fits perfect trough the holes in the bulkheads.

I made a new foundation to mount the heli frame inside the fuselage,

A bit bulky but it works,

Some new wood work inside the fuselage,

And the mounting holes at the underside of the fuselage,

The frame installed and ready to go, when the electrics are go also,

The tail are covered also,

Detail of the horizontal stab,

I have made a hatch so I'm able to set the tail linkage without removing the stab,

Nice tail assembly,

Now I need to make some more room at the swash plate balls because when she spins up the head starts to shake a bit till she passes that bad rpm then she will become stable. But when she is unstable the balls will hit the edges of the doghouse, (if the name correct?)

Well that's it for today,

Greetings,

Jan,
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:12 PM
United States, WA, Steilacoom
Joined Nov 2011
162 Posts
Quote:
Hi,

I has to make a new tail frame to support the tail gear because the old frame for the removed belt drive was gone.

And some wooden strips to strengthen the tail itself and the tail mounting plate.

The tail gear are sitting nice and is good to reach if needed.

With the stock tail linkage holders its fits perfect trough the holes in the bulkheads.

I made a new foundation to mount the heli frame inside the fuselage,

A bit bulky but it works,

Some new wood work inside the fuselage,

And the mounting holes at the underside of the fuselage,

The frame installed and ready to go, when the electrics are go also,

The tail are covered also,

Detail of the horizontal stab,

I have made a hatch so I'm able to set the tail linkage without removing the stab,

Nice tail assembly,

Now I need to make some more room at the swash plate balls because when she spins up the head starts to shake a bit till she passes that bad rpm then she will become stable. But when she is unstable the balls will hit the edges of the doghouse, (if the name correct?)

Well that's it for today,

Greetings,

Jan,
Have you flown those blades with the head yet? If not be prepared for some dancing... I just flew them with the same setup and they're a handful. Cyclic is very aggressive with the flapping head and these blades and the wind does play a lot with them against the wind.... Have fun with it. I couldn't get my elevated tail to work without vibrations...

I don't get that vibrations you are referring to, could be that the blades are too tight....
josereyes is online now Find More Posts by josereyes
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:20 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Hi

I flow her with this head and blades and i have post a video of that

Test flight Apache Attack helicopter mechanic 2e attempt .wmv (3 min 30 sec)

Test flight Apache Attack helicopter mechanic with Spy cam 600 size (9 min 8 sec)

The set-up as it is now, I have flown that also and I have no aggressive behaviour at the pitch,

Next weekend I know more how it behaves inside the fuselage.

Jan,
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:38 PM
Joined Nov 2011
162 Posts
Quote:
Hi

I flow her with this head and blades and i have post a video of that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP1-3y056A0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_M-5...ature=youtu.be

The set-up as it is now, I have flown that also and I have no aggressive behaviour at the pitch,

Next weekend I know more how it behaves inside the fuselage.

Jan,
Very nice. I've seen this video before did not realise it was yours. Nice flying.. I flew mine with a bit of wind, between 15-20 mph, that could have been the reason. Once you know what to expect is no big deal

What pitch curve are you using on those semi-symmetrical blades?
Last edited by josereyes; Mar 27, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:38 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Hello,

I use -3 +4 +10 as pitch curve however I have to adjust that I guess because I have flown my fuselage today Just hovering and a bit moving around
No bad resonance so far and the power was more than enough to lift the fuselage.

I need to get used now to take off and land this baby very gentle because I do not have skids any more now
Before I lift off I just lift the tail and was driving the heli around the street to get used to it a bit, and then took off, and wile hovering she has her tail (tail heavy) really nice..

Its a big monster now OK OK its just a 600 size but its big for me..

Regards,

Jan,
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:03 PM
Joined Nov 2011
162 Posts
Quote:
Hello,

I use -3 +4 +10 as pitch curve however I have to adjust that I guess because I have flown my fuselage today Just hovering and a bit moving around
No bad resonance so far and the power was more than enough to lift the fuselage.

I need to get used now to take off and land this baby very gentle because I do not have skids any more now
Before I lift off I just lift the tail and was driving the heli around the street to get used to it a bit, and then took off, and wile hovering she has her tail (tail heavy) really nice..

Its a big monster now OK OK its just a 600 size but its big for me..

Regards,

Jan,
Congrats I know the feeling. When I finished my HH-60J Jayhawk and it was time to maiden her, I was a nervous reck, once it took off it was like a dream, very heavy for a 500 size at 9.5 pounds with at the time two 3300mah packs in parallel just to be able to balance her, since them I went down to 2600mah.

It's going to take you a little time to get used to the extra weight on the fuse, you may want to consider making it a little nose heave instead of tail heavy.. they fly better..

On my 600 I'm using two 4000mah 40c 6s packs for 12S setup.. but I've been told I can use 2 3300 and fly for about 15 minutes... I'm keeping mine fligths to about 7 minutes..
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:03 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Hi,

Thanks, I'm a happy puppy right now

I want to tell you she is not tail heavy, she looks tail heavy due the angled tail boom because she was real nose heavy yesterday with the first take off.

I also noticed that she is a lot quicker on the cyclic than before, is that caused by the reason that my fuselage are less high than the stock T-Rex ?
She are more nimble at the sticks but start to move slower because of the added weight of the fuselage, Its no problem but I just noticed it.

I love this bird and its not ready by any means and still in her gel-coat

Flying photo's coming shortly.

Regards,

Jan.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:49 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Look forward to seeing the inflight pics
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk