HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:17 AM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppercopter View Post
Does any of you guy know how to detach or remove the torque tube end tip from the torque tube? I need to use those tips to make new torque tube.

If there is any of you guys know how, please show me. I need to make the 3 lengths torque tube for this conversion from the Align torque tubes. I don't think Kin will get the bended tubes replaced for me so I guess I have make them myself.

Any guys know please help.

Thanks
from memory, i was able to unscrew an align tip and reuse. if that fails, just grind a slit along the tube with a thin dremel cutting disk and part the tube with a screwdriver and the tip should loosen and you can pop it out.

The smartmodel raised tail system should come with a drill bit, and 8 littlle pin shafts. insert your tips into torque tube, put in a vice and drill through them, instert the pin shaft and then grind the outer tips of the shaft down a little to allow the tip to be inserted into the torque gear.

the instructions can be viewed/downloaded an kins site.
JayNZ is offline Find More Posts by JayNZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Here I started on the tail and the servo in the tail is the best place for it in my opinion, so I made a servo mount that fits perfectly and very sturdy.
I used the pieces they give you for the servo mount in the front of the heli.

Of course that's not the servo I will be using, but size it is the same.
buddertoast is offline Find More Posts by buddertoast
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
I found that by not using the wooden framing down the end i reduced weight in the tail, i was just able to support the tail boom with the align kit boom support struts. i cant rememebrr if you are using the smartmodel raised tail system, but with that, you do not need any of the wooden frames down the end. i have none, ive got zero vibration and zero movement of the fuse around the boom and raised boom. Pretty sure it helped the flight characteristics by reducing that aft weight.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNZ View Post
I found that by not using the wooden framing down the end i reduced weight in the tail, i was just able to support the tail boom with the align kit boom support struts. i cant rememebrr if you are using the smartmodel raised tail system, but with that, you do not need any of the wooden frames down the end. i have none, ive got zero vibration and zero movement of the fuse around the boom and raised boom. Pretty sure it helped the flight characteristics by reducing that aft weight.
that's good news. I am using the raise kit with out the part that comes out the frame, just the raised part. I will be using the stock align support braces. where is your servo? did you leave it on the tail boom?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:28 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddertoast View Post
that's good news. I am using the raise kit with out the part that comes out the frame, just the raised part. I will be using the stock align support braces. where is your servo? did you leave it on the tail boom?
Hi,

I leaved it on the tail boom and I have no play at all, But to adjust the tail servo are a real pain so its not the best place to have.
But if you use the Smartmodels raised gear you do not really need to put the servo in the aft, and I also removed the lower part of the wooden frame to reduce weight.

Jan,
Horseman is online now Find More Posts by Horseman
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Hi,

I leaved it on the tail boom and I have no play at all, But to adjust the tail servo are a real pain so its not the best place to have.
But if you use the Smartmodels raised gear you do not really need to put the servo in the aft, and I also removed the lower part of the wooden frame to reduce weight.

Jan,
Likewise, my tail servo is mounted about an inch away from where the boom enters the 5degree angled torque drive. You DO need the smart model 5 deg angled torque drive unit in order to angle the tail boom down enough to give clearance from the top of the fuselage boom.

i gave it an inch in order to allow plenty of throw, and ive never had to change the position since initial set up as i had plenty of adjustment room on my pushrods because of the servos position on the boom, meaning if i ever did need to adjust, all i had to do was pop the top of the tail rotor housing off, instead of needing to unmount the mechanics and adjust the linkage rod there.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:47 AM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Quote:
Likewise, my tail servo is mounted about an inch away from where the boom enters the 5degree angled torque drive. You DO need the smart model 5 deg angled torque drive unit in order to angle the tail boom down enough to give clearance from the top of the boom.
I was dry fitting it yesterday and I think I can make it work without it. I'm just afraid at the moment with how notchy the gears feel. it is not smooth whatsoever. I think Kin is going to help me out on this one. (I hope so). I haven't cut my torque tubes yet, so patience is the virtue at the moment.

But with my dry fitting I still have not made a heli frame mount yet. Might wait an see if I can get a hold of the robcon mechanics. That would deffinately bring down the tail boom. But I don't know if I can wait that long. lol.

and I was so proud of myself with making the servo mount. haha.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:14 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
629 Posts
Hi Buddy,

and I was so proud of myself with making the servo mount. haha

yes sorry for your servo mount it looks very nice and strong and good for the job but you do not need it

As far I remember you need indeed the 5 degree angled part to get the mechanics tilted 5 degree forwards.
But if you go for the Robcon system I would wait till I have all the parts.
However you still need the 5 degree angle part if you go for th scale look.

As I have to do now with my BlackHawk so I understand your feelings

Jan,
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts

Jan,[/QUOTE]

Jan, did you get the V3 torque tube blackhawk?

Take a look at the mechanics frame closely, you will see everything is cut on a 5deg angle, except the toque drive output, meaning the mainshaft/rotors are already naturally tilted forwards. You see my blackhawk vid, i have ZERO rear mount shimming to get the rotor blade angle, thats just flatmounted mechanics on the mounting platform, so no need to buy the smartmodel 5deg angled torque drive for this heli! if your V3 Kits does'nt have those frames, then i suggest you contact them and ask for the v3 frames to be sent out, because v1 and v2 did not have this feature as far as i can ascertain?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:33 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
629 Posts

Hi Jay,

I mend only you need the 5 degree angle part for the Apache.
So Buddy must wait if he wants a tilted main in his Apache.

For the BH I'm also waiting on several parts I ordered and I have to wait on them to.

My BH are the V3 and the frames are already angled so no worry my friend I think that we totally misunderstood each other (poor grammar)

Jan
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:44 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
DOH! If only abel tasman claimed nz first i would be able to speak to you in dutch. haha
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:52 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
629 Posts
Quote:
DOH! If only abel tasman claimed nz first i would be able to speak to you in dutch. haha
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:25 AM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Hi gents, Heres where im at with the apache rebuild, video of new moving cannon etc. enjoy

Scale Apache AH-64B RC Heli - MOVING CANNON SYSTEM.MOV (1 min 47 sec)
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:09 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
3,031 Posts
Nice looking!

I have in the past experimented with a gyro stabilized gun on my Cobra: 2 Heading lock gyro's kept the gun trained at the point it was trained on upon initialising. Was working very nice at standstill, but vibrations of the helicopter made the gun shake when flying (the "aiming" still worked, but the guns were continuously shaking up and down and sideways) so I abandoned the idea, because I was worrying about burned out servo's

That was using two very old G400 gyro's, maybe nowadays it can be made better...

Beautiful Apache though!

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:10 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone can help me out with the Xtail? I cannot get the required stopping power when in a hover and turning the nose to the left or right, the tail will want to swing past the point where i tell it to stop, and then swing back and forth slowly until it settles.

Ive got both sets of blades set as Eyeball close as possible to flat pitch when no rudder is inputted. is this a gyro gain / mechanical gain / geometry issue?

from the video of the chap test flying his apache fuse with the xtail on one of the other apache build threads, he was getting perfect tail stopping power. no sloppy sway.

any help would be greatly appreciated.