SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Jun 2008
132 Posts
WOW! Great job on the tail. Looks amazing. Bumber on the gears though. Easy fix. Is it a pain in the ass to remove your heli from the fuse? Wonder why those gears melted? I have never seen that happen and my trex ESP was around 2000rpms every time I flew it. Good thing that didn't happen in a forward flight. I don't grease my gears, but I will now!
What size drill bit did you use to drill Into the main shaft?

Still. I love our xblade now I will have to redo mine.
buddertoast is offline Find More Posts by buddertoast
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:08 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
629 Posts
Hi Buddy,

The damage repair job is no problem I have taken the mainframe out of the fuselage with in 15 minutes yesterday, but why the crown gear is melted are a other problem.
I do not like the idea to just replace the parts and try it again I want to know what causes this.

Taking out the tail section and fly here pod and boom is maybe better but if the problem will happen again???
I'm a bit confused right now.

So any ideas will be appreciate very much.

My Buddy has a trex 600 pro 12 cells and was flying like a mad man yesterday and his tail gears are holding (they are the same) so we do not understand what happens yesterday with my scale ( at least I try) like and smooth flying style.

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:46 AM
Joined Jun 2008
132 Posts
hey Jan,
It looks pretty smooth on the gear wear, do you think something floating around in your frame got sucked into the gears? It's almost as if they got twisted.....

is the bearing ceased that holds the toque tube gear? maybe that froze up or went bad? It's frustrating me, and it's not even my heli.

Hope you find the issue.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:45 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddertoast View Post
hey Jan,
It looks pretty smooth on the gear wear, do you think something floating around in your frame got sucked into the gears? It's almost as if they got twisted.....

is the bearing ceased that holds the toque tube gear? maybe that froze up or went bad? It's frustrating me, and it's not even my heli.

Hope you find the issue.
Hi Buddy,

When I turn the torque tube it feels smooth and no any binding or resistance at all? can the gear run hot blocked and when cooled down feel alright again, hard to believe as you ask me.
But I guess not impossible will look at it.

I also busy to make the links at the X tail linear to the shaft, it will make the blades more efficient.

When I think about it when I turned my total gear by hand the last few weeks there was a noise and a very little but some tight spot while turning, and I checked the SM gear from top to bottom but no problem, I did not check the front Align crown gears because you can not see them.
Now the main mechanics are out and not connected to the SM gear and when I turn the SM gear no tight spot and noise is there anymore.

So I think the Apache was telling me something a few weeks long I'm guess

I hope thats the case then I will have an answer and maybe there was sucked in something a few weeks ago..

Regards,

Jan,
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:38 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
629 Posts
Hi guys,

Well I have to wait on some parts to arrive (gears) so I have done some adjustments on the linearity of the both strokes from my X tail blades.

I grind of 2mm from my outer blade grips linkage stands and extend the inner blade grips stands with 3mm (two m2 nuts on each other and now the blade grip rods are linear (almost) against the tail rotor shaft.
Looks better now when moving the blades from end to end

Here the two nuts for spacing,

Here you see the difference nicely new situation,

Old situation,

So I expect less noise now when giving tail pitch the next time, and who knows maybe it can have cause the the crown gear to shredd????
Future will tell

Regards,

Jan,
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:27 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,482 Posts
Very cool tail blade system and nice build.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:51 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
Very cool tail blade system and nice build.

Don
Thanks,

Jan,
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:14 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Hi Buddy,

The damage repair job is no problem I have taken the mainframe out of the fuselage with in 15 minutes yesterday, but why the crown gear is melted are a other problem.
I do not like the idea to just replace the parts and try it again I want to know what causes this.

Taking out the tail section and fly here pod and boom is maybe better but if the problem will happen again???
I'm a bit confused right now.

So any ideas will be appreciate very much.

My Buddy has a trex 600 pro 12 cells and was flying like a mad man yesterday and his tail gears are holding (they are the same) so we do not understand what happens yesterday with my scale ( at least I try) like and smooth flying style.

Jan,

Jan, if you do end up doing torque tube drive for the UH-60, be careful to replace the small torque tube that comes with the RCA angle tail drive on the black hawk, if you are going to use an SM raised tail unit at all. because the tail spins the other direction (cw)with the sm angle tail unit, it causes the thread inside each end of the torque tube that connects into the gears to unscrew. just a warning. it did it in mine and chewed out the gears in my tail. TBH, From what ive read, tail motors are expensive, (new esc/new batts/new motor) and take a lot to get set up correctly.
JayNZ is offline Find More Posts by JayNZ
Old Sep 02, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Mar 2012
222 Posts
also jan, could you tell me more about the heli command? is it your gyro? flicking a switch to save your heli is something i want/need
JayNZ is offline Find More Posts by JayNZ
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:13 PM
Joined Jun 2008
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Hi guys,

Well I have to wait on some parts to arrive (gears) so I have done some adjustments on the linearity of the both strokes from my X tail blades.

I grind of 2mm from my outer blade grips linkage stands and extend the inner blade grips stands with 3mm (two m2 nuts on each other and now the blade grip rods are linear (almost) against the tail rotor shaft.
Looks better now when moving the blades from end to end

Here the two nuts for spacing,

Now that's what I'm talking about. Nice. You impress me every time Jan. I wish I would refunded my xblade. Would of saved 100 bucks.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:27 AM
Joined Jun 2008
132 Posts
Ok. I have a really important question. If I don't use the front tail raise section it will make the tail blades spin clockwise. Will this effect my fly and tail holding.

I don't like the front gear set as the flange bearings on it are not smooth and a little notchy.
Matter of fact. Every one of these bearings have notches in them??? Did I ge a bad unit? Jan. how smooth is yours?
Last edited by buddertoast; Sep 03, 2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:05 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
629 Posts
Hi Buddy,

Ok. I have a really important question. If I don't use the front tail raise section it will make the tail blades spin clockwise. Will this effect my fly and tail holding.

It will not affect your flying I fly that way and do not feel any difference

Every one of these bearings have notches in them??? Did I ge a bad unit? Jan. how smooth is yours?

Mine are OK I do not feel any hick-ups?

Jan,
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:37 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNZ View Post
also jan, could you tell me more about the heli command? is it your gyro? flicking a switch to save your heli is something i want/need
Jay,

Its also a tail giro but you can use it or not (I use it) its better than a 401

I have the Rigid version that means it can handle a FBL head with two or more blades.
It works like a beast X regarding the FBL head but has also the option to automatically stability (horizontal) the heli even upside down
The rudder and pitch stay under control of the pilot, then there is an second option and than the unit will keep the heli on the same spot as well.

Google helicommand and you will find tons of info.
I love this device, when you know how it works it's fairly easy to setup.
The Skookum 720 are also such device with even more options.

But I stick with the Helicommand and the service from them is also great and within 24 hour response

Jan,
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:55 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,833 Posts
You know with the new version of the beast and computer software you can even change the phasing now. Big plus for scale.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:05 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
You know with the new version of the beast and computer software you can even change the phasing now. Big plus for scale.
The Helicommand has that to,

Jan,