HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:54 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
OK,
Striped the rotor down and rebuilt it. the head is now smooth, but the swash is pretty stiff. Stiff enough to probably slow down an auto. Anyone know what to use to help lube a swashplate?
The tail blades are cashed! All four need new bearings. there full of locktight. one is crunchy, which makes me wonder!?!?!?
If anyone buys this set from cnchelicopters.com ask for it unassembled. they used red locktight at that!?!?!?
I have emailed them to see if they would send me new bearings, and he responded with "i do not have any extra bearings right now"
I'm starting to get a little frustrated with the service. They are not answering any of my technical questions. as easy as "what blade size do you guys use on this rotor head" being that the blade grips are so dang long. which is almost actually 3 inches longer than the stock align.
I will probably send back the tail rotor.
The rotor head needed spacers on every blade grip. they had a rubber o-ring between the grip and the main rotor housing........ smashed too at that.
it's really not align quality, but it is pretty good......
I'm going to go for it and build this heli.
any input would be greatly appreciated.
Buddy
buddertoast is offline Find More Posts by buddertoast
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
The x-blade tail is installed and ready for test flight. I had to tweak a lot on my skookum 720 to get it right. I'm down to only 70% end points without binding. and I cannot get a 90deg on the slider or they will bind. The pitch slider will hit the long linckages and bind as the pic below:

I wish I could use align rod ends, but the screws are way too skinny. I went to every hardware store and could not find anything to match them.

I got the bearings freed up and its way better than when I received them.
I will post a video as soon as I get a chance. work too much! and my 4 month old boy is taking all my free time!
I'm not going to try anything hard with the blades, as much as I would like to. but i will make a vid that shows there performance. Once I get my blades in I will do the head and let everyone know as well the performance.
Hope this will help someone.
thanks
Buddy
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:21 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Also quick question to anyone. I have 4 of the same stiff carbon fiber blades. I see everyone is using some kind of flex blades. Will I have trouble with my Carbon blades? The apache head I have seems to have a flex on the blade grips. And the flex is adjustable. This if from side to side not up to down.
Thx
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:53 PM
United States, WA, Steilacoom
Joined Nov 2011
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddertoast View Post
Also quick question to anyone. I have 4 of the same stiff carbon fiber blades. I see everyone is using some kind of flex blades. Will I have trouble with my Carbon blades? The apache head I have seems to have a flex on the blade grips. And the flex is adjustable. This if from side to side not up to down.
Thx
You can use carbon blades, just make sure they're balanced. Balance them as a pair, they don't have to weight the same but they need to be balanced as pairs.
josereyes is online now Find More Posts by josereyes
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:01 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josereyes View Post
You can use carbon blades, just make sure they're balanced. Balance them as a pair, they don't have to weight the same but they need to be balanced as pairs.
And mounted as pair, opposite of each other

Jan,

Yes I'm awake
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:40 AM
Joined Nov 2011
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post

Jan,

Yes I'm awake
Maybe I wasn't yes, mount them as pairs
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post

Jan,

Yes I'm awake
This goes for the tail as well, right? I can't get this tail dialed in........ When my head speed reaches around 1500 the tail starts to make the heli wobble? Any ideas?
I'm hoping when I get the apache head on and going, with a lower head speed I won't have this issue?
Thank you everyone for your help and replies. I would be going crossed eyed if it wasn't for help of people on these forums.
thanks
Buddy
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined Nov 2011
162 Posts
Quote:
This goes for the tail as well, right? I can't get this tail dialed in........ When my head speed reaches around 1500 the tail starts to make the heli wobble? Any ideas?
I'm hoping when I get the apache head on and going, with a lower head speed I won't have this issue?
Thank you everyone for your help and replies. I would be going crossed eyed if it wasn't for help of people on these forums.
thanks
Buddy
Have you tried lowering the head speed. I'm running 1400, 1450, 1475 on mine... Also, it could be to high of gain on the tail. My Jayhawk started doing this and I took care of it by lowering the gain on the tail..

Tail blakes are not as critical, but yes, you should mount them as pairs too. I would make sure that they're also balanced as pairs, and mount as pairs.

On the head I numbered the blades, then mount them as 1-2, 3-4 1 being the master blade and 2 being on the opposite end of 1. then mount blade 3 on the left side of blade 1 and blade 4 on the opposite side. Mark the master blade grip with a dot of paint so that you always mount the blades the same way.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:26 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josereyes View Post
Have you tried lowering the head speed. I'm running 1400, 1450, 1475 on mine... Also, it could be to high of gain on the tail. My Jayhawk started doing this and I took care of it by lowering the gain on the tail..

Tail blakes are not as critical, but yes, you should mount them as pairs too. I would make sure that they're also balanced as pairs, and mount as pairs.

On the head I numbered the blades, then mount them as 1-2, 3-4 1 being the master blade and 2 being on the opposite end of 1. then mount blade 3 on the left side of blade 1 and blade 4 on the opposite side. Mark the master blade grip with a dot of paint so that you always mount the blades the same way.
I will try a lower gain tomorrow and see how that does. But im thinking it's a vibration that is causing my skookum to shake the heli. if I lower the head speed and up the pitch, it puts a load on my stock align motor and it gets hot very quick.
I know I will need to buy a new motor as I will be running a 12 cell setup, but for the 2 blade rotor head and the x blade tail it shouldn't be so hard to get a lock on tail. I'm dumbfound with this as I usually get it by now.
My tail blades are all align and balanced to perfection. I will spend my day off tomorrow messing with it and will post my results. I want this setup to work so others can use my hrs of trial and error and get this beautiful apache replicated head and tail unit with confidence that it works.
thanks again
Buddy
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Nov 2011
162 Posts
Quote:
I will try a lower gain tomorrow and see how that does. But im thinking it's a vibration that is causing my skookum to shake the heli. if I lower the head speed and up the pitch, it puts a load on my stock align motor and it gets hot very quick.
I know I will need to buy a new motor as I will be running a 12 cell setup, but for the 2 blade rotor head and the x blade tail it shouldn't be so hard to get a lock on tail. I'm dumbfound with this as I usually get it by now.
My tail blades are all align and balanced to perfection. I will spend my day off tomorrow messing with it and will post my results. I want this setup to work so others can use my hrs of trial and error and get this beautiful apache replicated head and tail unit with confidence that it works.
thanks again
Buddy
I hear you, I've been there myself...
What pitch curve are you running on the main blades? I was running -5, +4, +10 on my funkey scale blades and it flew great..., you are running 4 blades on main and tail right....
Also, what tape are you using for the flybarless unit. I was having vibration issues and ended up having to replace the tape with the futaba 401 gyro tape. That took care of my vibes issues.
Last edited by josereyes; Aug 17, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:54 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
I only have the 4 blade tail at the moment. I'm waiting on my blades so I have a 2 blade fbl rotor head for now. I'm using the tape that came with the gyro. I have been using this gyro for 2 years now never had a problem. It is definatley this tail as I have switched back to the stock 2 blade tail without any issues and with a 1900+ head speed.
More blades would mean i would need less pitch im assuming. I do not have that much pitch on the tail.

my tail is not a 90 deg set up either. my servo horn is 90 with the linkage, but my pitch slider is not as the binding problem I would have.
Do they make a longer tail shaft with the gear, is the trex 700 any longer than the 600?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:54 PM
CW4
Joined Aug 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Do they make a longer tail shaft with the gear, is the trex 700 any longer than the 600?
My friend rigged up his own X-tail on his Apache using a cut down Trex 450 main shaft as the tail shaft and 2 Trex 600 tail hubs. He is running a belt drive though. I'll see if I can get some pictures this weekend and post them.
CW4 is offline Find More Posts by CW4
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:54 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW4 View Post
My friend rigged up his own X-tail on his Apache using a cut down Trex 450 main shaft as the tail shaft and 2 Trex 600 tail hubs. He is running a belt drive though. I'll see if I can get some pictures this weekend and post them.
Now you are talking

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:39 AM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
I like were this is going!!
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW4 View Post
What did he use for the slider?