United States, WA, Steilacoom
Joined Nov 2011
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Hello all,

Here I have the promised video,

Its the raw version because it seems that I need a new movie editor also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctWwjKQYvXs&list=UUG1vpJXahFeubnbd_n69tqWg &index=2&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vm4M...1&feature=plcp

Regards,

Jan,
Sweet, you're putting heli thoughts into my mind.... . Awesome as always.
josereyes is offline Find More Posts by josereyes
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
I just got my apache rotor head for the 600 with my 4 blade tail blade. going to have to rip it down and build it myself as it does not feel smooth at all.
has anyone ever used this unit?
buddertoast is offline Find More Posts by buddertoast
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:57 PM
United States, WA, Steilacoom
Joined Nov 2011
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddertoast View Post
I just got my apache rotor head for the 600 with my 4 blade tail blade. going to have to rip it down and build it myself as it does not feel smooth at all.
has anyone ever used this unit?
I hope you put some remarks as to how it performs. I have seen that head before, but haven't seen it fly. Looks fantastic, hope it flies like it looks.... Keep us posted and post some videos of it when you get it airborne.

The not feeling smooth could be that when they''re put together they do not put any grease on the bearings on the blade grips, so most of the times is dry. Make sure that puppy is threadlock good
josereyes is offline Find More Posts by josereyes
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:32 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
627 Posts
Hi,

I never seen this head before it looks great and indeed, its better to dismantle the head and build it up yourself and look what the reason of the not good feeling causes.

Where is this head coming from and also the X tail rotor head

Regards,

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:55 AM
Ado
Meow?
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,574 Posts
Definately an awesome looking set of rotors... im interested where you got them from too.
Ado is offline Find More Posts by Ado
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:01 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
627 Posts
Hi

I found them its a factory in the US

http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet.../51/Categories

And they have nice products also the X tail 99usd

Jan,
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:41 AM
CW4
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
It looks nice, but looks pretty heavy too, no? I like the X tail as well, but again, there's quite a bit of weight back there already (especially if using the smartmodel torque tube system I would think). Not sure I'd want to add more weight to the tail.
CW4 is offline Find More Posts by CW4
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:48 AM
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
The tail looks good, but they seem to put way too much locktight and I think It has leaked into the bearings. The aluminum seems to be pretty strong. I was a little disappointed in the not so smooth feel. The swash hits the swash pole at full movement. I'm used to 3d performance so I might be putting to much movement on it.
This is going to be my first scale heli. I'm debating on refunding it. And doing something a little easier. Just a huge fan of the apache, and I'm not one to give up so I'm goin to sleep on it.
If I do keep I will keep everyone posted. Cnchelicopters has somewhat of some good communication. They respond within 24 hrs and shipped within 48 hrs.
I will gut it and rebuild it first and see how smooth I can get it.
It is almost 3 inches longer than Trex stock flybarless blade grips. It's mm's from hiting the tail blades. I'm going down to 550 mm blades if I go for it.
Post back once I rebuild.
buddertoast is offline Find More Posts by buddertoast
Last edited by buddertoast; Aug 15, 2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:15 AM
CW4
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
I would say sleep on it and stick with it. I recently finished my RCA 600-size UH-1 after it sat in my basement for 2 years!

The UH-1 was my first try at a larger size sport scale helicopter. It was quite a bit more work than I thought it would be, but I just took it little by little and eventually I finished it. I am pretty happy with how it turned out, although it is far from perfect --but it's my first time, so...

I learned a LOT while building that heli and now have the confidence to take on the Apache, which I purchased in June. I will start building in the next month or so. The build threads on these forums from Horseman, Jay and others help IMMENSELY with overcoming the obstacles that pop up during these builds. I can't thank them enough for taking the time to post their notes, pics, opinions, etc.

You'll do fine.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:20 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW4 View Post
It looks nice, but looks pretty heavy too, no? I like the X tail as well, but again, there's quite a bit of weight back there already (especially if using the smartmodel torque tube system I would think). Not sure I'd want to add more weight to the tail.
Hi,

The weight from this tail rotor head or the other normal tail rotor four-blade head I have are not much more I think, then using the SM torgue tube system works great and I take the added weight with love instead the trouble you will have with the belt
(at least my experience)

Then you have some room in the front of the Apache (I still have)
so you can adjust the CG with your battery's
So don't be to afraid, it can take more than you think.
But don't overdo it

Speaking about the weight I shall see how much my Apache is
I think a lot but I do not know how much

Will be back,

Jan,
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:31 AM
CW4
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
Jan,

I am glad to hear the SM torque tube system is working well for you. Based on this build thread and your comments, I purchased it too. You are quite right -- I have the belt drive on my UH-1 and it was more work than I would have liked.

One question for you: What did you use to cut the holes (small ovals and such) in the fuse? They look very scale and perfect. I am still new to all of this, so excuse me if it's a stupid question

Patrick
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:06 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
627 Posts
Hi Partick,

There is no stupid question a stupid answer is more annoying

I use grinding tools as a Dremel mototool then I'm familiar with making such holes, and other little files

See here some other project I have made,

Flood holes from a submarine,

Its a fleet class Gato a full function static diver I have made a few years ago and still running.

Then a really big job an type 7c submarine still ongoing

So its not new for me to grind some holes but after done a +1000 of them you will be a bit bored I can tell you but the result is nice
But thats a complete other story than Helicopters

Now I going to weight my Apache,

Jan,
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:14 PM
CW4
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
Wow! You did all of those by hand? I am impressed. I don't think I possess the patience for something like that. Beautiful submarines!

I have a Dremel and some small files. I'm just afraid of messing it up. I can patch the fiberglass if I make mistakes, I'd just rather get it right the first time.

Yes -- let us know what your Apache weighs all-in. Thanks Jan.

Patrick
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:51 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
627 Posts
Hi Guys,

Well I have the weight of my baby and she is approx 6500 gram a lot more than I thought
Good that I did not know that before because she is flying great.

Have fun and stay well,

Jan,
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:24 PM
CW4
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
14.33 lbs. That's a bit heavy but not too bad with a 4-blade rotor system. Thanks for the weigh-in.