SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 16, 2011, 04:01 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Build Log
Apache AH-64 600 size (TF/Smartmodel kit)

Hello all,

I'm new into scale Heli's and this my first attempt to build a sport scale Heli.

After a few e-mails with Kin I ordered the smartmodel Apache 600 size and after a few weeks I received the well packed kit undamaged at my doorstep.

Here you see the fuselage with the landings gear and tail already assembled. With the 600 T-Rex what will go in the fuselage.

The laser cut wooden parts are from a outstanding high quality.
The parts are almost falling out of the frame

Here a view on the engine fuses,

Here the gear support frames,

It's not so hard to find the right angle and place where the support frames must be placed but some model build experiences are very handy to have.

I must tell you it's not a model you put together in a few hours as my Aligh MD 500 Tow defender with a T-Rex 500 CF
(By the way I have put some weathering and panel lines on her but not a photo of here yet. I will post it here when I have the photo.)

Stock fuselage,

The weathered one,

But back to the subject

I'm very glad with this Apache and I will post the building progress from now on.

Kind regards,

Jan,
Horseman is online now Find More Posts by Horseman
Last edited by Horseman; Oct 05, 2012 at 07:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2011, 08:26 AM
kin
Joined Sep 2007
3,236 Posts
The 1/8 Figure will fit this Apache 600 ! Please keep two seat for them !
kin is offline Find More Posts by kin
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2011, 05:42 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Hello all,

Hi Kin, yes I have seen your Pilots I will leave some room there.

Today I have tried to get a stock CF tail assembly in my apache tail
Well It was not fun to accomplish that task, I now fully understand why Kin suggest to use his smaller gearbox instead the stock T-Rex assembly.

Here you see that I must push open the tail to enter the stock tail gear,

It works but,

How you must put the belt on the gear, close the two halves of the gear inside the tail, and tighten it all at the same time..... I give up and will order the smaller and smarter tailgear from Kin, it will solve a lot of the trouble I have now. And again I have a lesson learned.

Just for the nice look, I put on the Smartmodel four blade tail head and it looks NICE.

Then some good news.

Smartmodel has announced that they will produce a new tail drive assembly so that you can use a shaft instead of the belt solution.

So I consider now if I will wait with the hole tail gear assembly and see what Kin is going to ask for his setup and when it will be ready for purchase.

The build,
I have last weekend my stock T-Rex ESP dismantled and build its components in the lower frame what was delivered by the Apache.

Don't forget to make some clearance to get the frame inside the fuselage,

The build of the frame begins,

And I have test flown this lower frame today with the stock ESP tail attached.

And its flown well, I did this test to adjust all the links and so on because when the frame is mounted inside the fuselage you do not have much space to play with.

When I put in the frame I was forced to grind out some wood to let the main-gear passed the main bulkhead.

Not a problem at all, but you can better do it before instead jamming the gear against the wood and then see it will not go any further as I did..

But now its OK.

Here you see the tail servo frame, maybe I will bring it a bit further to the tail but I'm not sure if that will be needed.

Will be continued,

Regards from Holland,

Jan,
Last edited by Horseman; Aug 16, 2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:41 AM
kin
Joined Sep 2007
3,236 Posts
All step look ok ! and the main point of the main gear jam the former are normal . if the customer use Mikado Logo and swift is main gear size smaller . but your Trex are still ok ! just the space not much but still ok ! very good Horseman !
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2011, 03:18 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Thanks Kin,

Do you have any suggestion where I can put the Giro because it's out of sight when I let here sit on the tail boom holder.
I was thinking to put her on the fuselage floor next the tail servo but it don't feel good.

Regards,

Jan,
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:09 AM
Joined Aug 2005
376 Posts
take a look of this, both heli is in this movie : (sorry for hijacking your thread)
Fire Birds - Helicopter Fight! (1 min 18 sec)
ecat is offline Find More Posts by ecat
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:38 AM
kin
Joined Sep 2007
3,236 Posts
Please start to buy the Align front bevel gear set to convert to match my new shaft drive system . The belt drive possible give up it !
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:39 AM
kin
Joined Sep 2007
3,236 Posts
see this link :
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1489770
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2011, 09:24 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kin View Post
Please start to buy the Align front bevel gear set to convert to match my new shaft drive system . The belt drive possible give up it !
I have it already I will wait for you.

Regards,

Jan.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:32 AM
kin
Joined Sep 2007
3,236 Posts
The tail are a bit heavy , because the tail wing and a cnc tail gear in the tail last position , so the c/g are need you make the weight as front as possible , so the tail rudder servo i will set it in the position you glue the wooden servo tary .Don't put the weight in tail .The GYRO are light parts , anywhere are ok ! Have you the trewx 600 matel version tail gear box ? see the photo ? the plastic version gear box are no -use in the future new shaft drive system !
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:59 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Hi Kin,

Yes I have

And it fits very nice,

Its only a bit sad that I have a ESP 600 and purchased a belt tail and now not going to use it anymore .

But I have all to receive your new product and then I can tilt the main rotor into the right angle at the same time.
But I must inform you that its that my wive are smaller then I'm otherwise I had a problem .

Kind regards,

Jan,
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:08 AM
kin
Joined Sep 2007
3,236 Posts
One more good news ! i have a left hand side rudder control lever pitch control arm . let you the linkage rod still in the back side ! more easy to build the rudder control rod !
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:19 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Hohhhh Kin,

You making me to go nuts

Jan,
Old Aug 17, 2011, 03:28 PM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Hello all,

I ad some details to the fuselage I like to show you,

Then the simulated pivots of the hatches,

Hatch on the belly,

With the air cooler intake hole for the Motor,

I cut the doghouse in two because that way it's easer to maintain the main rotor assembly.

Will be back,

Regards,

Jan,
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:38 AM
kin
Joined Sep 2007
3,236 Posts
Can you make a bell crank to let the rudder control rod change the control direction ? the flixable wire i think not so good ,Because the control rod need bend 70 degree . so i have try the flixable wire are no good . so after you change to the (left hand pitch control arm ) the linkage rod are go behind the tail tube be the traditional position . the bell crank can work well there ! i think you know how to do it
RCG Plus Member