Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 15, 2012, 04:25 PM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fs2flyer View Post
Also, there are items to do in the thread - "These mods made the Syma S033g fly better. "
Yes, I saw the photos of your tail mod, but what I can't quite see or make out is:

Is that viewing the tail prop from the top looking down at it. The photo is the top of the tail prop facing up to the sky correct?

Does the 107 props overhang the prop underneath? Width wise and/or length wise? I would assume it overhangs width wise by a bit. And I think u cut it down to match the length of the 033g prop length. But it is flush with the forward edge of the prop?

I'd like to see the underneath part to see how the props look/line up underneath.

Some people say just glue it down, some mention tape.

Gotta go order some 107 props to give this a try.
Quigs10 is offline Find More Posts by Quigs10
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:59 AM
Joined Feb 2012
21 Posts
First off all you need the right props only one set works (top or bottom) my guess top.

Cut the props so they are haaks (Dutch word for this shape L .) At the side were the connection to the blade grip is normally made.

I used very thin but strong silicon isolation tape the same wide as ducktape.

Cut a piece of tape a little longer than the 107 blade apply the 107 blade to the tape* not in the middle but with the back side or the blade against the edge of the tape (*not the other way round then you'll get bubbles in the tape.)
apply some glue to the 107 blade apply 107 blade with its front at the front of the s033 blade than fold the tape cut of the tape that isn't used.

Note I used the wrong blades for this pics because the other ones are already on my heli
Turin is offline Find More Posts by Turin
Last edited by Turin; Feb 16, 2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: pics
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:25 AM
Joined Feb 2012
21 Posts
Noticed that your syma s033g drops out of range at 100 meter more or less
Check your battery's!
Range tested him with high amp rechargeable's and almost new not rechargeable's.
Using the high amp rechargable's fully charged almost doubled the range.
Already modded the transmitter so it can charge after every flight.

It will probably run on 7,5 volts to, next mod will be making it run on 7,5 volts instead of 6 volt.
Than I can use a much higher amp battery say 3000 mA
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turin View Post
First off all you need the right props only one set works (top or bottom) my guess top.

Cut the props so they are haaks (Dutch word for this shape L .) At the side were the connection to the blade grip is normally made.

I used very thin but strong silicon isolation tape the same wide as ducktape.

Cut a piece of tape a little longer than the 107 blade apply the 107 blade to the tape* not in the middle but with the back side or the blade against the edge of the tape (*not the other way round then you'll get bubbles in the tape.)
apply some glue to the 107 blade apply 107 blade with its front at the front of the s033 blade than fold the tape cut of the tape that isn't used.

Note I used the wrong blades for this pics because the other ones are already on my heli

OUTSTANDING!!! The photo step by step is great. Thanks. Now, I'm assuming that as the last step, you "wrapped" the black tape around the pair of props that were glued together? And then cut of any extra leftover tape?

It almost looks like black electrical tape but much wider.

My s107 has started to die on me lately, it just hovers about an inch off the floor with full charge.... so I might use the props from that. I think I need a new battery for the 107. Only had it since Christmas.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:53 PM
DWTRIAC23
United States, MA, North Andover
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
If you remove the tail boom supports and add a little weight to the nose it will fly faster and better in light wind conditions
dwtriac23 is offline Find More Posts by dwtriac23
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:01 PM
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turin View Post
Noticed that your syma s033g drops out of range at 100 meter more or less
Check your battery's!
Range tested him with high amp rechargeable's and almost new not rechargeable's.
Using the high amp rechargable's fully charged almost doubled the range.
Already modded the transmitter so it can charge after every flight.

It will probably run on 7,5 volts to, next mod will be making it run on 7,5 volts instead of 6 volt.
Than I can use a much higher amp battery say 3000 mA
Many, including myself, have had the issue that the S033 will seem to lose signal and drop from the sky even at a relatively close range. Curious if you had this issue and whether the higher capacity rechargeables eliminated the dropouts?
Chalupadrop is offline Find More Posts by Chalupadrop
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:18 AM
DWTRIAC23
United States, MA, North Andover
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
s033g crash

my s033g loses power mid flight also. I don't think it is transmitter receiver signal loss because it happens up close. The power going to the motors suddenly cuts out. The problem seems to get worse with every flight.
dwtriac23 is offline Find More Posts by dwtriac23
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:59 AM
Joined Mar 2011
14 Posts
Has anyone put a standard reciever in one of these? Like a 3 in 1 from a CX2 and a micro jr reciever? It would let you use the standard controlls like REAL mode 2 (I don't like using nonstandard controlls because my instincts may not be there when needed) And would have extra channels for other things like switching a camera.

It is not a 3D heli but it IS a simple to fly stable platform with some significant weight carrying ability.
jrPCM10 is offline Find More Posts by jrPCM10
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:16 AM
Joined Feb 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalupadrop View Post
Many, including myself, have had the issue that the S033 will seem to lose signal and drop from the sky even at a relatively close range. Curious if you had this issue and whether the higheery r capacity rechargeables eliminated the dropouts?
I Did some more mods to the Controller

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1587581&page=2

Mine does not drop out any more. ( I charge the battery after every flight. NImH type)
Old Feb 18, 2012, 03:40 PM
Joined Sep 2003
73 Posts
I'm planning on installing a Walkera RX404 72mhz receiver with 3 in 1 conroller. It can handle 11amps per motor, may have to stack the FETs if the 033 draws more then that. I guttet an old servo, took out the motor and attached the tail motor of the 033 to it, elevator stick controls the tail motor.
The rudder and throttle mix should be ok other then current draw.
Dont see why any 3 in 1 controller made for a coaxial wouldn't work. Biggest issue is making sure It can handle the draw of the 033.
CarlP is offline Find More Posts by CarlP
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:54 PM
Joined Mar 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlP View Post
I'm planning on installing a Walkera RX404 72mhz receiver with 3 in 1 conroller. It can handle 11amps per motor, may have to stack the FETs if the 033 draws more then that. I guttet an old servo, took out the motor and attached the tail motor of the 033 to it, elevator stick controls the tail motor.
The rudder and throttle mix should be ok other then current draw.
Dont see why any 3 in 1 controller made for a coaxial wouldn't work. Biggest issue is making sure It can handle the draw of the 033.
Great idea about the tail motor. Post some pics of the project!
jrPCM10 is offline Find More Posts by jrPCM10
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Feb 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigs10 View Post
OUTSTANDING!!! The photo step by step is great. Thanks. Now, I'm assuming that as the last step, you "wrapped" the black tape around the pair of props that were glued together? And then cut of any extra leftover tape?

It almost looks like black electrical tape but much wider.

My s107 has started to die on me lately, it just hovers about an inch off the floor with full charge.... so I might use the props from that. I think I need a new battery for the 107. Only had it since Christmas.

Yes wraped the tape roud the glued blades and cut the leftover tape.

It is sort of electrical tape but it is made of silicone.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined Feb 2012
21 Posts
I have my controller running on 5 bateries it does drop out after 4 lipo charges.
recharge controller no problems.

My opinion is that the controller uses a lot op batery power and cant handel the voltage drop.

Use fully charged bateries and do the mods I have done.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:09 PM
Joined Sep 2003
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrPCM10 View Post
Great idea about the tail motor. Post some pics of the project!
Ok it's done, used a Walkera 72mhz receiver/controller, the controller has two servo outputs that would normally control the swash plate for pitch and roll. I used the elevator (pitch)servo output and connected a gutted servo, used only the servo control board and attached what would normally be connected to the servo motor to the tail motor. I left the pot on the control board so I can trim it. I then took a micro servo, gutted it and used only the control board, connected what would normally go to the servo motor to the LED board, used the one feed that came from the old board that powered all the LEDs. Plugged the micro servo board into the aileron ( roll) output of the Walkera, I replaced the pot on the micro servo board with 2, 2.2K resistors since there's no trim needed.
I now can turn the LEDs on or off just by moving the aileron trim lever either left for on or right for off, couple of clicks either way is good enough. Could easily put a toggle switch on the transmitter but it's just as easy to move the trim tab.
Final product? A 72mhz radio system with the ability to turn the LEDs on or off from the transmitter...and of course a bit more peace of mind...just don't trust these 27mhz units, way to much interference in that band. If pics are needed I'll post some, but it's pretty straight forward.
CarlP is offline Find More Posts by CarlP
Last edited by CarlP; Feb 24, 2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: mistake
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
anyone take videos of their tail mod with the props from the s107 on the tail of the s033g ? I'd like to see the flight characteristics with the larger tail props.