HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2003, 05:43 PM
Bone Breaker
Dallas , Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
Does the GWS F4 Fly ?

Ok I know some of you guys are flying brushless. That's not the issue. Is anyone flying it with the stock 350 motor on 7 cells.
A customer of mine bought one and said it will just barely get in the air. It won't climb and tip stalls badly. Why is lack of power
such an issue with alot of the GWS planes. I know the CEO listens to all the complaints. So..........is anybody having any luck flying this plane stock. Mr GWS CEO where's the BEEF?
Pleeeeeease give us some more power!
Lammergier is offline Find More Posts by Lammergier
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2003, 06:16 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Lammergier:
How much does this customer's plane weigh? What prop are you using? 7-Cells What kind of cells? Where does he have the CG?
I think the better way to go is the 8-Cell 730 Mah AAA Nimh pack, should move out pretty good. All the Videos I have seen show the Corsair flying pretty peppy even with the Stock 350 Motor, gotta be something else or a bad motor.

-Just my 2 cents-

Mike
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Sep 08, 2003, 06:24 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,644 Posts
Either he has a bad motor or his prop is on backwards or his batt is bad. I built mine stock as per the instructions and no gear. On 7 cells there is NO lack of power. It loops from level flight, and rolls fairly nice. No tip stall on landing, unless the c of g is too far back it can get touchy. Best GWS plane yet - flies like a pussycat. GWS did well to make the 350 motor as a stock power upgrade.
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Sep 08, 2003, 06:53 PM
CO of The Flying Circus
wind and rain,Oregon
Joined Jul 2002
1,519 Posts
I can't give my two cents because my Corsair kit is on the brown truck (UPS) as I type this and should be to my front door within the next hour! I will keep an eye on this thread though to see what the problem might be with Lammergier's customers F4U. I plan on flying it stock until I can afford a brushless with Li-Po's so I am curious as to what the problem might be. I suspect a bad Battery pack or a bad choice of battery packs but I have heard of people getting the GWS prop on backwards and the plane (regardless of what kind of plane it is) just staggers around right on the verge of stalling.
The Blue Max is offline Find More Posts by The Blue Max
Old Sep 08, 2003, 09:07 PM
Garland , Texas
Joined Sep 2003
9 Posts
I'm the guy in question with the cousair: cog is at 55mm with 730 mah nimh packs (3) stock 9/7 prop On correctly!, will ROG but will not climb with any power and tips stall with the slightesy aleron input.longist flight about 45 sec with hard bounce back to runway. have had since friday it is now religatede to the wall untill i can put a brushless in it .Have crashed it HARD 3 times in 2 days myself as well as 2 very experanced rc pilots with 100's of hours each (members of our clubs deminstration squad). to me this plane at this point was a waste of money
Ramrod is offline Find More Posts by Ramrod
Old Sep 08, 2003, 09:17 PM
One
Seattle
Joined Feb 2003
1,630 Posts
Good evening guys,

Wow, looks like another mixed bag for thumbs up or down. I have vid of the stock Corsair flying and it looked pretty good. Again we are talking "park flyer" with the stock set up, but as you can see from the video it moves right along. www.e-flightline.com/movie.htm (Hornets Nest)

Granted the stock Corsair is using 2s2p lipo's so he saves a little weight but its only 8.4 volts at its peak charge.

I would definetly recommend 8 cell 730's instead of 7. its seems to make a big difference.

Splash
Splash is offline Find More Posts by Splash
Old Sep 08, 2003, 09:23 PM
Garland , Texas
Joined Sep 2003
9 Posts
I too saw the video but the text states that the motors at stock AND upgrades but it does not state which plane has which
Betting the cousair is not one of the "stock" palnes
Old Sep 08, 2003, 09:28 PM
Minneapolis MN
Joined Sep 2002
1,666 Posts
Hey Ramrod,
Please realise that almost 100% of the people on the RCgroups who have built and flown their corsair stock, have had great success. So it comes down to what is the specific problem you are having(as in, it is not a design issue). What ESC do you have, what type of connectors and gauge wire are you using with it? What is your AUW? If all those turn up OK, you may have a bad motor( The motors used are bought by the thousands, and do not have much quality control, every once in a while you will get a "dud").
FLYWINGFAN is offline Find More Posts by FLYWINGFAN
Old Sep 08, 2003, 09:35 PM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,337 Posts
Maybe someone should ask what kind of 730 mAH NiMh Ramrod is using. Not all NiMh are created equal and some can not dump enough current for a 350 (or 300) motor.
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Old Sep 08, 2003, 09:43 PM
Garland , Texas
Joined Sep 2003
9 Posts
the battery packs are gws 730 nimh 7 cell sanyo packs esc is great planes c-10 with mini connectors ukn AUw as have no way to weight it but used spray 77 (old type) glue not stock to save weight. have had good luck with other gws plane but this one , to me , Is a waste of money in its stock configuration.
Old Sep 08, 2003, 09:51 PM
One
Seattle
Joined Feb 2003
1,630 Posts
Ramrod,

In the beginning of the short video the stock Corsair is flying with the upgraded Corsair and that is the last time you see the upgraded one. All the rest of the video that has Corsair in it is the stock set up

I will try to find out what the AUW is on Brain Washed Corsair is. The weight seems to be pretty critical when flying stock set up.

Splash
Old Sep 08, 2003, 09:53 PM
Garland , Texas
Joined Sep 2003
9 Posts
who is fly it with the stock landing gear in place and if not why not?
Old Sep 08, 2003, 10:04 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Ramrod, your problem certainly sounds like a power issue and not an airframe issue.

Are you arming the C-10 ESC properly? I have heard some people complain about this ESC with certain transmitters which have limited throttle throw. You have to connect the flight battery to the ESC with the throttle stick all the wayy off and neutral throttle trim. Then advance the throttle stick until the prop chirps twice distinctively. If you don't do this (especially make sure the throttle is fully off) the throttle will work but at reduced power.

If this is not the problem, it could be the motor and your hobby store should be able to swap this out for you. Seeing as you tried three packs that shouldn't be the problem. The model will fly better with 8 cells, however.

Good Luck. I'm still working on mine. It looks like a terrific model!
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Sep 08, 2003, 10:05 PM
Garland , Texas
Joined Sep 2003
9 Posts
it may be the motor...put the 350 motor into my e-starter with a 9/7 prop on it.. flew but only so/so.The c 300 motor that came with the e-starter does a better job than the new 350 out of the corsair
Old Sep 08, 2003, 10:11 PM
One
Seattle
Joined Feb 2003
1,630 Posts
That definetly sounds like motor issue.

There should be a noticable difference between the two motors.