HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2011, 08:19 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jan 2010
121 Posts
Hobbyking Tigermoth

Hi Guys,

When I saw the first HK video with the prototype I was interested.

When I saw the second video with the production version I was mesmerized.

I really want one but I wondered how people felt about the wings not
having any wing spars? At least it looks like it doesn't.

In the first video Scott does a loop but the camera is shaking around and
the plane is quite distant so its hard to tell if there is any wing flexing and
in the second video he pretty much sticks to wing overs and stall turns.

I am not suggesting poor old Scott is trying to hide anything. Lets face it
stall turns and wingovers are what a Tigermoth is all about and anybody
who has tried to video a model plane in flight knows it is really hard to
do smoothly. However the point being you can't really tell how it handles
loops and rolls.

Any opinions?
MikeRobey42 is offline Find More Posts by MikeRobey42
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2011, 09:11 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,611 Posts
This is tough as I'm sure you want to hear from somebody else.....but nobody outside of HK as flown it......so here is a little tale.

More flight testing yesterday but also had the Tiggie with me because I just love flying it and I wanted to fly it scale, usual wing overs and stall turns.....ok, let's throw in some spins after the stall turn....hmmmm, soaked that up easily enough.....oh well, let's try a snap roll!......WOW! Poor thing even had to land in an 8k crosswind......anyway, if you want to wait for flight reviews, I quite understand, I am very confident that people are just going to love this lovely model.
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Aug 21, 2011, 09:36 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,605 Posts
Well, if any one is worried about stiffening up the wing, adding a CF spar is a doddle. I had to that in my PZ 109 and HC Mossie. It's a half hour job. Clearly Scott doesn't see it as necessary and he is the one on the sticks. I am on my 3rd GWS Moth and it is looking rather bedraggled. This one is so pretty without all the extra work of a GWS, that it might be time to retire my old faithful and get this one as a replacement. It really is a looker.

Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:11 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,915 Posts
Great stuff! I just LOVE Tiger Moths, I just rebuilt my crashed Green Models (balsa/ply/FG) Moth and really loving flying her again, even got my GoPro HD camera on a pan mount into the forward cockpit, but that's another story

If the day should come when my Moth is no more, it's good to know that HK have made the replacement available, as Green Models have quit manufacturing theirs.

The more Moths the merrier, so thanks again Scott and HK

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:37 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jan 2010
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix racing View Post
This is tough as I'm sure you want to hear from somebody else.....but nobody outside of HK as flown it......so here is a little tale.

More flight testing yesterday but also had the Tiggie with me because I just love flying it and I wanted to fly it scale, usual wing overs and stall turns.....ok, let's throw in some spins after the stall turn....hmmmm, soaked that up easily enough.....oh well, let's try a snap roll!......WOW! Poor thing even had to land in an 8k crosswind......anyway, if you want to wait for flight reviews, I quite understand, I am very confident that people are just going to love this lovely model.
That's pretty much what I wanted to know. I am assuming pheonix racing is Scott. Thanks for the quick reply.

I did think of adding carbon fibre if needed but did not want to do
anything to spoil the pristine finish of the thing.

I guess now I just have to wait for them to come back into stock. Oh well he
who hesitates...
MikeRobey42 is offline Find More Posts by MikeRobey42
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:01 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
If I am not mistaken this Moth has flying/landing wires? If they are functional that should help on the wings holding up.

I ordered one as soon as they hit the site. Mine shows reserved and moved to the other warehouse for shipping.

So hopefully it will not be too long before it is here.
As far as being a warbird. If an AT6 or PT17 are warbirds (they are in my book!) this plane is too!
Does not have to be a combat plane to be a warbird. I am helping a friend restore a Navy NE1 that was in service by the US Navy in WW2. So it is a Warbird too. Oh for those who do not know what an NE1 is..... It is the Navy version of the good old Piper J3.
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 01:17 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,611 Posts
It does have rigging wires, pull/pull type cable, no fishing line!
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Aug 22, 2011, 01:20 AM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix racing View Post
It does have rigging wires, pull/pull type cable, no fishing line!
Good! Besides looking more scale with them. It also should help brace the wings too.
Now if mine would get shipped out.....
Wes
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:18 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
It shows they have it back in stock now for those looking to buy one.
Wes
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2011, 01:51 PM
Sherbrooke Qc
Joined May 2006
2,298 Posts
Another great model there Scott. Always loved the Tiger Moth.

Thanks again.
Cheers Mike
Michael Richards is offline Find More Posts by Michael Richards
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:08 PM
Australia, WA, Midland
Joined Jul 2007
223 Posts
Well the mail man arrived here in Sunny New Zealand and dropped a box off for me mmmmmmmmmm wonder what it is

so here is my quick 2cents worth sort of a mini review with bad grammer ( hence why i married a english teacher ...lol)

box size 950mm x 295mm x 115mm and it weighed in at 1521g on the digital kitchen scales.The box had a layer of cardboard over the top and bottom( so just about double boxed ) and was well taped and apart from the tiny little dent everthing seemed fine also had fragile stickers and top load only stickers here and there

well opening up the box it seemed well packed, bubble wrap taped over the fuse/wings and in the hollow parts of the box to stop things moving about, so everything seems to be there wings x2 fuse x1 rudder x1 tail x1 and a few bags of wheels,undercart, struts and cockpit windscreen frames (which you have to trim) and 2x tubes of glue and 1 ep1047 prop and some rigging wire

looked around for the instructions ? and there is NONE
now this may be a forgot at the factory or there isnt one , either way its not a biggy as it looks straight forward enough and you should always dry fit everything first

onto the wheels they are nice little rubber ones 45mm and weigh about 9g
they slideont the shft after you have placed the dehaviland wheel cover and are held on with a circlip thing ( one of mine was missing )
the struts seem to fit fine allthough it took me a few trys (this one in there and that one in there no other way round ) again this is where the dry fit comes in good

the struts are glued into the wing with little plates glued onto where they pop through, the servo horns are all ready to be glued in place and where things need glue on the wings ect there is no yellow paint so the glue will key better

now the fuse

well mine has been glued together and tapped tight for the glue to set and it looks like there wasnt enough force holding the fuse together as there is a big gap where the fuse has come apart leaving a 1mm seam nearly the full length of the plane and the front section of the cowling/nose( which looks great by the way) is really hard to fit as i need to squash the front together for it to fit and i suppose this gets glued on ?

am i being picky here of do i expect to much from a $75 plane
either way if you press the 2 halfs together you can get them to fit better not fantastic but they need a lot of pressure so much you will prob dent the foam, and its over a good length so apart from doing a bit by bit ( how can i get it all done in one go ) i think the hard glue is stopping them go together properly ( scott maybe have a check on these as you might have a few unhappy people here or maybe mine was just a one off and i am the whinging pom in NZ...lol)

this can be filled probably with some filler and then painted buy i dont really wanna do that for people who are going to give the plane a colour change it wont be to much of a problem

overal the faom is good and the fuse details are really good they got the hinges doors foot steps all molded in the tail has a skid but i am not sure it anything missing on mine but its just a metal wire sticking out of a molded skid piece ( maybe you put a wooden skid on the end ? again no instructions but no biggy for someone to figure out )

that's about it from me, i will await suggestions as what to do with the fuse? try to go gentle on me and my grammar, as this is my first impressions of this plane and just wanted to give people a heads up

but great looking plane and i am sure lots of people will be happy with this classic flyer

If anyone needs any pics of any parts give me a yell and i will do my best until some expert reviewer comes along( with better words and pics) and my little bit gets lost in the archives of time ...lol

anyway enjoy the pics and happy flying

Pommie NZ
pommie is offline Find More Posts by pommie
Last edited by pommie; Aug 22, 2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: adding pics
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:13 PM
Joined Aug 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylineflyer View Post
if i did that pommie, my wife would surprise me with divorce papers. Good luck bro! :d
lol
mamoonkay is offline Find More Posts by mamoonkay
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:15 PM
Australia, WA, Midland
Joined Jul 2007
223 Posts
more pics
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:18 PM
Australia, WA, Midland
Joined Jul 2007
223 Posts
final pics for today
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:35 PM
Crimson Swine...
Australia, VIC, Romsey
Joined Jul 2003
230 Posts
Thanks Pommie, looks very nice except for that unsightly gap in the fuse. Hope that's not indicative of the whole batch. Doesn't sound like rocket science to throw together but any news from HK Customer Support on the missing instructions?

Just posted on the HK product page: apparently HK CS have indicated this is only available from the international warehouse. Bummer it's not coming to Oz, but I just grabbed one before it was too late!!

Cheers
Mick
mc411800 is offline Find More Posts by mc411800