HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2011, 11:51 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
I don't think anyone disagrees with you, I think you've made your point and we're just trying to make suggestions that might help you out. If you've provided good evidence to CS I'd expect them to support you but in my opinion and experience it's better to direct your energy at encouraging CS to come up with a solution than to repetitively post about it here.

You mention in an earlier post that the wing was bent because of the way it was packed. I doubt that's the case - as you already proved to yourself bending for a period of time has limited success (although putting it on a flat surface won't work anyway - you'd have to overbend it). The problem is in the moulding process itself and maybe how the parts are handled when, and just after, they are removed from the mould. It is a quality problem and HK CS do need to resolve it, both with the manufacturer and for you and others. Have they said they're not going to do that?

It's tiresome and disappointing when you pay for something and it doesn't appear immediately and in first class condition and we all understand that - I guess most if us have been there but it it was me I'd focus on chasing CS and working my way up through the organisation until I got the action. I'm not clear what you've asked them for but if you've given them clear evidence and asked them what happens now and they're not responding then escalate it with them. If they turn round and tell you to get stuffed that would give you something to write about here. Somehow I doubt they will, but if they do I guess we'd all like to know about it.

Edit:

Caravanman I see you've edited the post previous to this to something more positive. Not sure if that's a reflection of good news from CS. I hope it is but still emphasise that you should keep chewing at them - with facts - until they respond.

The issue is not one of cost or value. The issue is of fitness for purpose and in that respect it's significantly different from the fuselage gap gap issue. The Tiger Moth is sold as a flying machine but it won't do that well, or maybe even at all, with a badly deformed flying surface. I had a 2-3mm gap in my fuselage but a few minutes work with some spackle, 600 grit paper and a rattlecan fixed it. That was disappointing quality but could be argued as a function of value. The wing HAS to be right even if it is inexpensive.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Last edited by Roger Lombard; Sep 09, 2011 at 12:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2011, 01:12 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Just noticed this and I post the link here not to highlight a problem with the Windrider Hurricane but to highlight the fact that even before (so far as I know) any customers have identified a problem that affects the functionality of the kit the manufacturer has identified, and acted upon it.

That's what customers like to see! I can live with a problem as long as I know its being sorted ASAP. Well done, Windrider

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=124
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Sep 09, 2011, 11:35 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post

.........The problem is in the moulding process itself and maybe how the parts are handled when, and just after, they are removed from the mould......
Yes sir !

To me it's a classic case of trying to run too short a cycle time and removing the parts from the mould too early.

Mine has still not turned up (shipped 19th August). It arrived in Germany some 10 days ago, so I guess the German customs department has it lying in a corner somewhere.

Chris P
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Sep 09, 2011, 08:29 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
I had a chance to run out to the airport for about 20 minutes of flying.
It was at sunset. Plane sure looked pretty with the sunset behind it.
Wish I had brought a camera person with me. Would have made great pictures.
Got to more flights and just like the first one each landing the plane planted as soon as the landing gear touched.

A couple of things I wanted to mention. The first is the motor seems to get a bit warm. Not HOT. But warmer then I would have expected.

The other thing is the battery hatch has a tendancy to pop open on landing. It has not come off the plane and fallen off. But it does unlatch and sits over the compartment loosely. Not sure what is up with that.
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 1987tc; Sep 09, 2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:27 AM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
Be careful of the glue!

I had used some ca and some of the glue Hobby King includes with the plane. Well I lucked out in a BIG way this morning!

I had done one flight to warm up and then another when some friends arrived to show them the plane.

I took off and noticed as it cleared the ground that the rudder was not effective. And needed full left trim to fly straight. Not something it had needed before.

I did a couple of loops. Nice slow big and round. Did a roll. A bit slow but acceptable. Did another and the plane was all over the sky.

So deciding I better land I headed back to the field and set up on approach. Plane felt strange. Was not stable like it had been.
Landed. Could not taxi because the rudder was not working at all now.

So I walked over and bent over to pick it up. That is when I found that the cabane struts had popped off the wing!
So I picked it up and was looking it over.
The cabanes, one aileron horn and rudder horn had all come unglued!

All of them had been glued with the glue HK includes. I am lucky I did not crash the plane and lose it!

So I am going to go over every joint that I used the HK glue on and reglue them!

So be sure and check all you glue joints and test them !

Wes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 03:14 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,093 Posts
Seems like it was your lucky day Wes.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2011, 04:21 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
You sure have that right! It could have been a pile of yellow foam just as easy!
But there was no damage at all. Not even a scuffed wing tip. And it still landed well!
Wes
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2011, 06:39 PM
Flyr John in Floyd VA
United States, VA, Floyd
Joined Nov 2007
544 Posts
HK Tiger Moth vs. GWS Pico Moth

Would someone who has flown both successfully, please
compare their flight performance? Is this one as slow and
graceful as the Pico? I'm sure it's more maneuverable and
aerobatic with the ailerons, but curious especially about
its slow flight.

Thanks, Flyr John in Floyd VA
jhark37 is offline Find More Posts by jhark37
Old Sep 10, 2011, 07:45 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
I have hundreds of flights with both the Pico Tigermoth and the bigger TM400.
The HK Tigermoth in my opinion lies somewhere in between.

The Slow flight of the HK TM is good. Not as slow as the PTM though.
But again in my opinion better then the TM400.

The PTM and the HK TM are really nothing alike.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2011, 07:54 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987tc View Post
I have hundreds of flights with both the Pico Tigermoth and the bigger TM400.
The HK Tigermoth in my opinion lies somewhere in between.

The Slow flight of the HK TM is good. Not as slow as the PTM though.
But again in my opinion better then the TM400.

The PTM and the HK TM are really nothing alike.
This is good news for me as I have a Pico Tigermoth and have enjoyed flying it. My own HK Tigermoth is somewhere on the way between Hong Kong and Sydney and I hope to get it by the end of next week.

I have modified my Pico moth by fittng funtional wing flying wire and this improved its flying greatly so I plan to do the same for my HK Moth.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Sep 10, 2011, 08:07 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
You won't have to mod the HK TM to have flying wires. it comes with them. And get this... They are WIRES. not string or thread.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:23 PM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
Mine finally turned up after taking 2 weeks to get through the German customs.
Immediate inspection revealed an unpleasant fuselage gap. As somebody else said, it shouldn't be necessary to start repairing something new before you can use it.

Up to now I have been a VERY satisfied HK customer, but the Tiger Moth has blunted my enthusiasm. I worked 40 years in the automobile industry and saw a couple of cars that came on the market with problems. In no case did the manufacturer just sit back and hope the problem would go away on its own.

HK knows the address of those who received low quality items prior to any change break point. I would have thought they could have at least done one or more of the following :

Send a note saying 'Sorry'

Send a pot of colour matched spackle

Send a voucher for money off the next order

Ask if the customer would like a replacement fuselage (without RC) ......

Just ignoring the issue is not a responsible way of handing a quality and customer satisfaction issue.

Chris P
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Sep 14, 2011, 06:30 PM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,608 Posts
We have not ignored anything, we don't know who recieved what, contact CS with your problem please, we just don't know who has a problem and who doesn't, as I said, we have sold several hundred and recieved very few complaints. That said, I am sorry you have recieved one with a problem.

We are not happy about it either but a few have wriggled through the gaps and the next batch will be rectified.
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Sep 15, 2011, 01:10 AM
Joined Sep 2011
5 Posts
Finally got my TM after 20 days waiting (It is ok, I expected that because I was on back order queue). Yeah, as you guys expected several minor issues, fuselage gap, finger press marks trying to glue the fuselage, foam & plastic colour not matched, wings slightly bent, props scratching the head need spacer...etc

But hey, what the hell, it is only $80 bucks for a nice plane those are minor things you can easily overcome. Plus solving puzzles is part of the fun of making the plane in my opinion. Built it up last night and tried a quick flight outside this morning, plane can fly with no problem.

I appreciate HobbyKing staff actually read and reply your complaints. Don't be a girl and stop bitching. Enjoy building the plane and fly it and post some pics/vids please !!
foobah is offline Find More Posts by foobah
Last edited by foobah; Sep 15, 2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:17 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,337 Posts
I have been lurking for a while. I love the Moth. Considering that this plane is the same price as a beer cooler GWS TM400 with no flight gear (I'm on my 3rd one of those, btw), comes nearly RTF and has tons of scale detail, a few minor glitches don't seem worth a lot of complaint. I spent hours and $$ getting my GWS Moths up to semi-scale, and frankly, I am ready to retire #3 and replace it with one of these. Nice work overall, HK.

Regards,
Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring