HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by cactus, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 05:12 PM
Flying FPV or Dreaming I Am...
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2001
6,072 Posts
Discussion
FPV Buggy

I would like to share my experience so far with a ground-based FPV project I recently completed. It's a Turnigy 1/16 Buggy from Hobby King with a 900 mhz video system. Have not gone out very far yet, but it works fairly well within a few hundred feet of my driveway. I made a custom plastic deck to mount the FPV gear on without having to modify the buggy in any way so it can still use the stock body for regular RC driving. My ground station is interchangeable with my airborne quad copter. I use Fat Shark goggles for both, but swap out the Rx for the 5.8ghz quad.

Another fun thing I did was wire an old LED head lamp to a spare RC channel on the Rx for lower light conditions. Has red and white light modes. I need to mount it better so it stays facing out in front of the buggy.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2011, 05:01 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,072 Posts
I modified the LED lights to mount underneath the camera plate without the bulky case. Much better direction control now and stays put during bumpy rides. I'm looking for a used 8dbi Patch antenna to see if I get a better picture and more range.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 05:49 PM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
You can build your own patch antenna. Search for "Alex's easy patch" or "goof proof patch". I suppose you are already aware of these - very easy to build
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:48 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,072 Posts
I am in the process of building one for my new 1.3ghz gear.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 08:05 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,072 Posts
Project rebirth

After having limited success with 900 MHz video I decided to try my 200 mw 5.8 ghz tx with sn555 camera on this buggy. I am using custom tuned cp antennas on ch4 with good results. My son and I went to his school today and I drove the buggy all the way across the field, around trees and up handicap ramps with really good video.