SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 22, 2001, 05:04 PM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
Making "Home Movie" DVDs

I've been poking around the web regarding the subject of converting my existing home movies that are on video tape to DVDs. But, I'm hoping maybe someone here has some good tips or insight into this.

Ultimately, I want to make my own DVDs so that I can do stuff like put all my kids' birthdays on one DVD, and put vacations on different DVDs. Currently, I only have a chronological video tape library where my kid's birthday in March is followed by my other kid's recital in June. So, I would like to fix this some. Also, by doing it myself I hope to be able to control where the chapter breaks are inserted.

After looking around on the web, I don't think the consumer technology is quite there yet for me to do this affordably. But, I thought I would ask and see if maybe I missed something out there.

Thanks,

Mitch
Mitch G is offline Find More Posts by Mitch G
Old Oct 23, 2001, 01:51 AM
Fayetteville, GA
Joined Oct 2000
3,663 Posts
I think you are correct that DVD technology is not here for the avg. consumer.

However, I can highly recommend a digital camcorder. I got one a few months ago and am having a ball with it.

I know this does not address your current library but it will take care of your future needs.

Regards,

Jeff
Jeff Meyers is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Meyers
Old Oct 23, 2001, 10:07 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I'm with Jeff.. get the DV cam now, that will put you in good shape when DVD burners become common-place. Plus, the footage is soooo much better than Hi8 or regular 8mm (and don't even talk about VHS!).. Anyway, in the meantime, you can have fun putting together VHS_quality Video CD's that you can send to friends and family. Lower quality than DVD, but easy and cheap to produce..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Oct 23, 2001, 09:55 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Don't hold your breath on the consumer level DVD burners. Creating a DVD from traditional DV sources takes a lot of compression. It''s happen, just not overnight. Even the studios run up against the expense issue. It's not like burning a CD.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Oct 23, 2001, 11:46 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Very true, but you can still stuff an awful lot of data, and good quality MPEG video, onto a 9.4GB DVD compared to a 700K CD-R. It's going to be awhile, but hey, the burners are only a few hundred $$ already.. that surprised me!

..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Oct 24, 2001, 03:45 PM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,274 Posts
Don't hold your breath on the consumer level DVD burners. Creating a DVD from traditional DV sources takes a lot of compression. It''s happen, just not overnight. Even the studios run up against the expense issue. It's not like burning a CD.

Maybe not true consumer but certainly whats being called "Prosumer". I have a Pinnacle DC1000DV card and it does native MPEG2 sourcing from either the installed Sony DVR100 deck or my DV camcorder. Since my finished product is MPEG2, there shouldnt need to be any rendering or transcoding to burn it to CD

Im waiting for the HP DVD-R drive to mature a few months before i buy one.

This Equipment isn't cheap though and it gets out of date rather fast too!!!......if you're talking about say 10 hrs total of source material you may want to seek out a production house that can transfer for you

Alan W
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
Old Oct 25, 2001, 09:37 AM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Mitch,

Funny you brought this up. I just got a DVD burner last week & I've been experimenting for a few days but so far the quality is lacking. This is not due to the burner but because of MPEG2 encoders. The consumer versions are cheap and low quality. You really need a commercial quality MPEG2 encoder (hardware or software - hardware prefferred). That's next on my list. I'll let you know how I fare.

DVD-R disc's are about $10 to $20 right now but CD's cost that much initially. I expect them to drop soon.
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old Oct 25, 2001, 02:53 PM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
Mitch,

While I was at Best Buy today picking up Windows XP (which
I'm now using) I saw a software program there that may be
just what you are looking for. It was called Pinnacle Express.
You may want to have a look or look it up on the net and
check its features.
DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA
Old Oct 25, 2001, 11:00 PM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
Interesting discussion and it has given me some things to think about.

One thing that I'm realizing is that Lucent pays Johnson controls waaaaaay too much money.
(This is a joke directed at techno-toy-man Sal.)

Mitch
Mitch G is offline Find More Posts by Mitch G