HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:57 AM
Johannesburg SA
Joined May 2004
252 Posts
Build Log
30% Shoestring

Here we go with Shoestring.

I am estimating and overall flying weight of between 2,7 and 3,0 kilograms.(6 - 7 lbs) Power will of course be electric using a Turnigy C55-50 600 on a 5S configuration. According to Motocalc a 13 x 10 prop will give enough thrust for a good climb rate and should achieve a speed of around 135 km/hr or around 84 mph which is quite fast but in keeping with the nature of this plane.

Construction is all balsa, ply and spruce in keeping with materials of the day. The only two exceptions. One will be the wing joiner which will be CF and the other will be the wheel spats as I found the ideal pair in the local hobby shop this past weekend. Although the plans have been finished for some time now, it was just this weekend when I had a chance to have them printed. Also went out an purchased the required materials to at least get a start made.

The method I use for making the bulkheads, ribs, etc is to use a removable adhesive label material which I get from a friend of mine who has such a business. This stuff is great because you can print it using a normal printer. Once you have cut out the shapes, you simply peel off the paper. It is more effort than laser cutting but then they did not have laser cutting in those days.
Soarbird is offline Find More Posts by Soarbird
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:16 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,622 Posts
Looking good there
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:00 AM
Johannesburg SA
Joined May 2004
252 Posts
Thanks owlsabie,

Just busy doing the really boring part of cutting all the shapes now. It takes quite a bit of time but normally try to do all the shape cutting up front and get it over with. On this model there are 68 shapes to cut so far.

All balsa ribs done and now busy with the bulkheads but took a break for a few minutes.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:00 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
subscribed!
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:20 PM
The Low-wing Super Cub
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2007
595 Posts
grubby subscribed
grubbyjeans is offline Find More Posts by grubbyjeans
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:10 PM
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,095 Posts
I have to watch this one.
Love the Shoestring.
pd1 is offline Find More Posts by pd1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig Kadet nightflyer
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:40 AM
Johannesburg SA
Joined May 2004
252 Posts
For some reason Sunday just evaporated. Church in the morning and then out to the flying field for a bit of an RC fix in the afternoon. We also had a cold front through here on Monday and there was no way I was going into the workshop with the temperature close to zero. Also fairly busy work wise, which in this economic environment is no doubt a privilege.

Have made some progress with the cutting of all the parts as you will see in the photo. The solid pieces yet to be cut are for laminating and then they will be cut to final shape. This is a bit of a slow and tedious process so generally prefer to try and complete the whole lot before starting the actual build.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:14 AM
Johannesburg SA
Joined May 2004
252 Posts
Made a fair bit of progress this weekend.

Got the fuselage jig completed and aligned. Then fitted all the frames to the jig and once happy with the final alignment, started attaching the stringers. At last it begins to look like something.

Obviously the plan shows the size but this is going to be quite a big plane. One major advantage is that there is a great deal of room on the inside of the fuselage. Makes working on it soooo much easier.

Found a pilot that has been sitting in a box on a shelf in the workshop for years and thought it might be appropriate for this plane. More or less to scale as well.

The next step is to do the fairing and then begin sheeting before removing her from the jig to do the bottom.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:50 AM
Thermaholic Homoslopian
Kempton Park, Gauteng, South Africa
Joined Dec 2003
41 Posts
Hey Malcolm

Nice project! Between you and Gert I might just get inspired enough to build the Sperber Junior of which I have the plans lying around somewhere

Looking forward to your next post.

Cheers,
Izak
fuzzchucker is offline Find More Posts by fuzzchucker
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:06 AM
Johannesburg SA
Joined May 2004
252 Posts
Hi Izak,

Now that is a graceful looking bird. Should make for an interesting build with the gullwing shape on the wings.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:14 AM
Johannesburg SA
Joined May 2004
252 Posts
Hi Izak,

A quick Google and found a set of plans for a 3,1m version. This could well be my next project.

Best wishes
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:39 AM
Thermaholic Homoslopian
Kempton Park, Gauteng, South Africa
Joined Dec 2003
41 Posts
That's probably the same as the Traplet plans I got from Hekkie Fourie (local traplet agent).

I bought an ex Ken Kearns slightly "bent" home built Sperber from Gordon Prahm with the full intention of repairing it. It has a fibreglass fuselage which even Ken will admit came out a bit chubby (the nose weight weighs over 900grams Granted the Sperber does have a very short nose.

The veneered foam wings are also bit broken. I had my doubts on repairing those and thus ordered the plan to see if built up wings wouldn't be a better (read lighter) option. Probably won't be able to shave much off that chunk of lead though as the weight saving will be mostly on the CG already. So any weight savings will be mostly from the lighter wing.

When I got the plans I saw what a beautiful built up fuselage it has and now I'm in two minds whether I shouldn't just build the whole thing.... but up to know I haven't built up the nerve to tackle it

And like you say, that building room is like a freezer at the moment

I'll see how you and Gert progress and maybe build up enough gusto in the process..... the last built up model I did was a scratch built Sagitta 900 that took around 120 hours of toiling under a balsa dust cloud.

Cheers,
Izak
fuzzchucker is offline Find More Posts by fuzzchucker
Old Aug 27, 2011, 02:38 AM
Johannesburg SA
Joined May 2004
252 Posts
Yea, the weekend is here.

Managed to get a little done during the evenings this week. Got the entire fuselage faired and fitted the side and nose sheeting. Also made up the plate to support the landing gear plus the battery and servo trays.

Next steps are the hatch sheeting and then the rear sheeting.

Target for the weekend is to get to the stage where I can remove the fuselage from the jig, fit the control tubes and landing gear before doing the bottom sheeting.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 03:34 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Making good progress soarbird. Its looking really great.
Going to make some progress with mine today.
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59