HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2011, 05:44 AM
Avionics tech
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jun 2011
2,301 Posts
Discussion
Starmax F9F Panther - current discussion??

Could someone please link me to the current discussion for the 64mm Starmax Panther? I realize it's been out a few years but it's new to me. I just got one from BH and I might need some help. Thanks!
52Sabre is offline Find More Posts by 52Sabre
Last edited by 52Sabre; Aug 13, 2011 at 06:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:32 AM
Alpha Whisky
Queensland - Australia
Joined Jan 2006
282 Posts
Starmax Panther

I can`t help you with an existing forum for these, but it was the first EDF I bought and taught myself to fly with last year.

I quit my old original model at the club auction just two days ago and, it`s a long story, but I still regularly fly another and have another NIB PNF example in a box under the bench.

Since my start I have acquired a fleet of 3 more 64mm fan jets, and 5 J-Power 50mm jets. I fly them mostly twice a week and haven`t pranged one as yet. I am not too strong on the technical stuff, but feel free to PM me if you want some help with operational stuff.

Cheers,

Alan W

PS - Am about to delve into the Lander bare kit Panther that arrived from HK a couple of days ago ...
AlphaWhisky is offline Find More Posts by AlphaWhisky
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:44 PM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
2,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWhisky View Post
I can`t help you with an existing forum for these
Ok so let's make this the current one! This is a new purchase from Banana Hobby. http://www.bananahobby.com/1952.html The motor hatch screws are missing. Should they be in their own little bag? We're having a little rain storm now so it would be a good time to finish assembly. How much dihedral is in the wings? Any deviation from the manual's CG of 45mm? Hope to have taxi tests tonight with a test flight soon. I assume landings with these are a bit more docile than a jet with swept wings?

I may be interested in a cougar conversion sometime down the road.

Been flying little 35mm Mig-15, F-86. Also have 50mm F-86. But I prefer having wheels than hand launches.

I see we have an equal number of posts Alan. What are the odds?
Last edited by 52Sabre; Aug 13, 2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 05:27 PM
United States, CA, Mill Valley
Joined Feb 2010
683 Posts
I think the hatch screws were in a bag they arent really required. I used packing tape over the motor hatch to stop grass catching the hatch edge - I wound up removing the landing gear.

I had major aft CG issues with mine and found it flew much better with the cg further forward than recomended.

Also, the control throws were way too much. I used dual rates and as soon as airborne reduced the rates in roll to very little.

This is the best edf I have flown and it lasted for ages until a receiver outage bought it down.
drumbum is offline Find More Posts by drumbum
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:50 PM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
2,301 Posts
Took a couple of screws from the back of old xmtr. Perfect fit for motor hatch.

Mine came with the topfire radio. The aileron and nose steering (ch. 1 & 4) trim controls did not work. Re-binded topfire rcvr with Blitz T18 xmtr ok. works fine now. I like the T18 better anyway.

I agree the throws are a bit agressive. I can't change rates on this radio so I'll go to inner holes on servo arms and outer on control horns.

Had to pop the canopy off to adjust nose wheel steering.

Cut pilot figure in half so he'd sit proper in cockpit.

Balanced @ 45mm from back of little silver screw at rear of rcvr cover. I believe that's just a little ahead of spec?

Instead of any obvious dihedral I seem to have just a little anhedral. Hopefully that will be ok. I guess prototypically I could attribute that to full (and heavy) wing tip tanks.

Might give her the green light for tomorrow.

Yes, everyone seems to agree, she's a favorite. Hopefully I'll be in agreement as well.
Last edited by 52Sabre; Aug 14, 2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 01:09 AM
Alpha Whisky
Queensland - Australia
Joined Jan 2006
282 Posts
Starmax Panther

I`ll try and attach a couple of pics of my HK model taken in the yard just now. I don`t know if it differs from your BH model. It is setup as a belly lander as we fly off a turf farm and even our larger models struggle with the coarse grass there.

I fly this model with a Rhino 1350 3S. That lipo is a neat fit. I fly it mostly at WOT and although duration is only about 4 minutes, that is usually enough for me in one session. It`s not overly fast, but is comfortable to fly and looks good in the air - as in scale type speed. I like to fly it close-in with lots of figure eights and Derry turns.

The model weighs 506 grams ready to fly. I use Spektrum Dx6i and note that ailerons are set at 85% which gives around 1/2" throw each way - 50% expo on ailerons. Elevator shows 70% at the Tx and gives around 3/8" each way - 30% expo on ailerons.

This was my first EDF and I initially had an orientation and so applied the yellow sign-writer panels to the upper wingroots - they show well.

Note there is a bungee hook fitted through the Rx hatch in the underside. We mostly use the bungee as a matter of course these days although this model is an easy hand-launch.

I hope you get something out of this ....

Alan W
Old Aug 14, 2011, 03:49 PM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
2,301 Posts
Alan - Thanks for the pics. nice jet. looks like you ran tape straight down the belly. I assume that helps? Also where is your CG (point of balance)? I assume the yellow panels help differentiate top from bottom while in flight at a distance? Do you have any dihedral? The top of your wings look like they fit tighter to your fuselage than mine. Even though mine were solidly glued there is still a little bit of a gap on the top of the joint. I probably should have sanded the ends of the wings in an effort to make things fit a little tighter. The real aircraft it appears to have had plenty of dihedral. Discussion: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1416139 Wish I had seen that before I glued wings on. I'm worried I'll have flight problems. Now how do I bring them up? Should I do surgery?
Last edited by 52Sabre; Aug 14, 2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 07:21 PM
Alpha Whisky
Queensland - Australia
Joined Jan 2006
282 Posts
Starmax Panther

Took this pic a short time ago - not much dihedral here!

It`s about the same as my J-Power T-33 - both fly great.

CG on my Panther is 45mm as specified.

The setup and flight characteristics of this blue Panther were so similar to those of the grey one I sold last week that I seriously considered programming both into the same model memory on my Dx6i to free up one slot for another model. Never did it.

Alan W
Old Aug 14, 2011, 07:40 PM
United States, CA, Mill Valley
Joined Feb 2010
683 Posts
For info,

Mine was CG perfect with a 3S 2200 as far forward in the bay as possible. No landing gear.

Both wings broke outboard of the servo in hard landings but were clean breaks and easy to repair with epoxy.

It has a .....wobble that I could never fix. It seems to yaw slightly at speed, others with the same machine had the same experience. It was never a problem though.
drumbum is offline Find More Posts by drumbum
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:30 PM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
2,301 Posts
Thanks guys! Alan- looks like mine. I guess I'll be ok then.
Last edited by 52Sabre; Aug 14, 2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 03:38 PM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
2,301 Posts
Alan & anyone - you say your CG is 45mm. But what I need to know is 45mm from where? Mine is 45mm back from rear of rcvr cover where that little silver screw is located. please advise.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:50 PM
Alpha Whisky
Queensland - Australia
Joined Jan 2006
282 Posts
Starmax Panther CG

I seem to recall I measrured my CG back from the front edge of the intake duct where it meets the fuselage.

However, that was the first EDF I assembled, nearly a year ago and the fleet has now swelled to nine, excluding the 35mm F-86 and Mig which are both awaiting imminent delivery of the new 'orange' Rx with small plugs.

As mentioed above, I use a Rhino 1350 3S lipo on my Panther, and have taped a small rectangular piece of lead across the front - works well for me....

Alan W
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:36 AM
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Mar 2011
224 Posts
My wings are just like yours I fly the piss out of mine and love it , the plane does yaw at slower speeds but its never been an issue. I have well over two hundred flights on mine , its the first flight of the day no matter what , I fly off of a dirt road and finaly lost enough of the leading edge of my fan blades so I ordered a new fan from hobby king .
rush1 is offline Find More Posts by rush1
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:51 AM
Pelagicide
United States, MD, Gaithersburg
Joined Oct 2010
457 Posts
CG at 45mm? My instructions that came with the J Power F9 show 25mm .... I haven't put mine up on posts yet to see where the battery should be, but I'm guessing the 3s 850mm that came with the plane will be almost all the way forward. The battery space is huge! I can fit a Turnigy 3s 2200 and it just about fills it.
How did you come up with 45mm?
joe_crash is offline Find More Posts by joe_crash
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2011, 03:09 PM
You win again gravity!
UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,256 Posts
Because this is a starmax panther!
SMorrisRC is offline Find More Posts by SMorrisRC