HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:20 PM
Owner1
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Mar 2011
345 Posts
Discussion
How fast can a Big Lama fly? Pretty fast!

I've been working with my BOL for a while now learning how to make it go faster (see my videos on this forum), and I finally measured the speed the other day by using a stopwatch to time how long it took to cover a fixed distance. When I calculated the speed I was very, very surprised at the answer, but I know it to actually be a little conservative because when I started my run at one end of the field, I was not near top speed yet. So some of the run includes acceleration time as well.

So here are the answers:

My flying field is 480 feet long, as measured with a 100' tape measure. Starting 10 feet in from one end of the field, and giving myself 60' on the other end of the field to overfly the "finish" line, I covered 410 feet in 7.1 seconds as measured with a stopwatch. Since 1 Foot per Second = 0.681 Miles per Hour, that means I covered the distance at an average speed of 39.5 mph. Which means my terminal speed was easily over 40 mph.

Hard for me to believe too, but there is no mistake.

So if my stock motored BOL goes this fast, how fast must the brushless BOL go?

If anyone has measured it before, or if anyone has a radar gun I would love to know how fast these can go.

Owner1
Owner1 is offline Find More Posts by Owner1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:53 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,466 Posts
I think your measurements are certainly in the ballpark. There have been a number of ESky Lamas and BOLs clocked in the mid 30s with a radar gun. The videos were on YouTube a couple years ago, when interest in coax helis was higher. I don't think brushless motors would make very much difference, without changing blades.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14