HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:44 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,962 Posts
Discussion
first timer (total noob) setup questions

I just got my OSD Pro package in the mail, and have gone through the manuals for each component, but I still am wondering about how to set up all this on my PC:

Do I just run the latest software with the elogger connected via USB by itself to do basic setup?

To set up how my screen will look, what components do I need to hook up to my PC, all three together (elogger v4, osd expander and gps expander), just the elogger, or elogger and osd expander?

do I need to take my fpv camera and tx off my model and have all the components wired together in order to set up my screens etc.? Or should I have everything on the model as it will be and run a long usb extension to the model?

I'll reread everything again, but if someone could point out some quick steps on how to get started with all this it'd be greatly appreciated - I'm a little overwhelmed with all the info..

I also have the eagle eyes ground station, so I also have to figure out how that will eventually tie in, but for now I want to get my OSD screens set up and working so I can try it out..

update - I see that I need all the sensors i am going to use connected to the elogger - which I am assuming in my case is the OSD pro and GOS expander, as well as camera and vtx - rather than take fpv cam off of plane I was thinking just use my gopro and spare vtx - but it's getting late so that's for tomorrow..

thanks!
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Last edited by Glenstr; Aug 12, 2011 at 01:22 AM. Reason: added update
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:37 AM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
I just got my OSD Pro package in the mail, and have gone through the manuals for each component, but I still am wondering about how to set up all this on my PC:

Do I just run the latest software with the elogger connected via USB by itself to do basic setup?

To set up how my screen will look, what components do I need to hook up to my PC, all three together (elogger v4, osd expander and gps expander), just the elogger, or elogger and osd expander?

do I need to take my fpv camera and tx off my model and have all the components wired together in order to set up my screens etc.? Or should I have everything on the model as it will be and run a long usb extension to the model?

I'll reread everything again, but if someone could point out some quick steps on how to get started with all this it'd be greatly appreciated - I'm a little overwhelmed with all the info..

I also have the eagle eyes ground station, so I also have to figure out how that will eventually tie in, but for now I want to get my OSD screens set up and working so I can try it out..

update - I see that I need all the sensors i am going to use connected to the elogger - which I am assuming in my case is the OSD pro and GOS expander, as well as camera and vtx - rather than take fpv cam off of plane I was thinking just use my gopro and spare vtx - but it's getting late so that's for tomorrow..

thanks!
I have everything hooked up in the airplane, then I run a short 4 conductor cable from the USB port from the eLogger to a convenient place in the airplane to hook up the USB cable from the PC. All you have to do is hook up the USB cable the eLogger. Don't use the flight battery. Of course have the Eagle Tree software running on the PC first.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Aug 12, 2011, 09:01 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,962 Posts
Thanks - I was thinking maybe just put everything on the plane, but my plane has an 80" WS and was hoping to avoid that - but I think I can make it work - I can always take my laptop out to the garage..

Does the camera and vtx require power though?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 09:55 AM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,610 Posts
You don't need to include the camera and Tx in the setup of the EagleTree systems if you're simply updating firmware and configuring the system.

Since you're using the OSD package as well, you're going to want to fire up the video system at some point to check on the display on your goggles or whatever you're going to be using on your ground station to view the OSD output.

I agree with Crist on just mounting the stuff in your plane and then using a laptop and a USB cable to configure it but if you haven't gotten to that point yet and everything from EagleTree is just coming out of the boxes right now then you can simply just lay it all out on your bench and plug in the USB from your computer and run through the setups. You're going to want to plug in all of the sensors that you expect to use first and then plug in the USB cable. The software will detect the EagleTree sensors and then tell you if you need to update your firmware or not.

-Mike
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:42 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,962 Posts
thanks - hooked up the OSD pro and gps, started the program and let it update the elogger firmware - but when I go to update the OSD firmware, I keep getting the error that a firmware programming error occurred, disconnect the device and try again - over and over

ideas?

update - did a bit more reading, decided to try the 9.85 version of the software after reading this thread then I hooked up my elogger v4 again with gps and osd pro expander connected. When prompted again to update firmware for the elogger, did that and that went ok, then chose hardware-choose parameters to display on video OSD, it prompted me to update OSD firmware, which it seemed to, after showing an error screen (I forget what) it then said firmware update was successful. It then crashed the software, but when I restart now and go to hardware-firmware control I am showing 1.15 for the elogger, and 2.41 for the OSD.

I also hooked up my eagle eyes ground station and let it update the firmware for that too, which went ok.

So - am I ok now (?) - just need to set up what I want to see on the screens now.

One other question - does this device record logfiles to itself, or do I need to be have a laptop connected to my Eagle Eyes to be saving logfiles?

One of my main reasons for getting an OSD was so that I could replay a flight in case I ever lost a plane and get the last known gps position, I was going to do this with a dvr hooked up to one of my eagle eyes video out ports, but if all the data is being logged anyway is there another way to get at this data?
Last edited by Glenstr; Aug 12, 2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 04:22 PM
AMA 937634
Joined Jan 2010
1,610 Posts
Yes, the logger records the telemetry data to itself. It has limited memory but I'm not sure how much, maybe 512megs. I could be way off on that, I'm at work at the moment so can't be sure. In any case, there's enough memory for a couple of my 15-20 minute flights but it probably depends on what you're recording and how many sensors you have.

The EagleTree stuff doesn't record the video out at all. You're correct in stating that you're going to need to hook up a dvr of some sort to the video out on your EagleEyes module. I bought a portable dvr from FPV-Japan that takes an 8gig SD card and it is rechargable so I don't need to worry about a power supply. There are many different solutions available for recording and there's a large thread on it in the FPV section of the forums.

So, at the end of the day, what you're going to have is the telemetry data on the eLogger that can be downloaded onto your computer after the flight, it can be then saved as a file that can be imported into Google Earth where you can get an overlay of where the flight went and how high, etc., and you will also have a separate video that you can watch that was saved on your dvr that will have the telemetry data viewable on screen.

Makes sense?

When setting up your display remember to save the settings!

-Mike
Last edited by Stone1295; Aug 12, 2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:17 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1295 View Post
Yes, the logger records the telemetry data to itself. It has limited memory but I'm not sure how much, maybe 512megs. I could be way off on that, I'm at work at the moment so can't be sure. In any case, there's enough memory for a couple of my 15-20 minute flights but it probably depends on what you're recording and how many sensors you have.

The EagleTree stuff doesn't record the video out at all. You're correct in stating that you're going to need to hook up a dvr of some sort to the video out on your EagleEyes module. I bought a portable dvr from FPV-Japan that takes an 8gig SD card and it is rechargable so I don't need to worry about a power supply. There are many different solutions available for recording and there's a large thread on it in the FPV section of the forums.

So, at the end of the day, what you're going to have is the telemetry data on the eLogger that can be downloaded onto your computer after the flight, it can be then saved as a file that can be imported into Google Earth where you can get an overlay of where the flight went and how high, etc., and you will also have a separate video that you can watch that was saved on your dvr that will have the telemetry data viewable on screen.

Makes sense?

When setting up your display remember to save the settings!

-Mike
Yup, makes sense!, I knew the EE did not record anything, I was just unsure what was stored on the elogger itself - but if I read you correct, even without a DVR capturing the ground video feed I would still have the data from the elogger, and with the GPS should I lose a plane I would at least have something to go by.

I just had a blonde moment, thinking this is great, the DVR is not 100% necessary, but then remembered the data on the elogger is rather useless when it's still on the plane if the plane goes down..! - so I would need the laptop connected to the EE in order to have that redundancy anyway

I picked up an emprex DVR from ebay - the ads for it are a little misleading as I was led to understand it would record to USB or SDHC, but it turns out it needs a HDD - I was ready to shell out another $50 or so when our pctech scrounged me a 20GB IDE 2.5" drive that should fit the bill niceley. I also have an easycap knock off if I choose to record video to the laptop, but I'd sooner use the laptop to record telemetry from the EE ground station.

I may have to check out the DVR like yours, rechargeable is nice, the emprex I have to figure out how to get power to it via a BEC.

Man, the checklist for going to for a quick flight is getting longer!

ps. if I have all the gear on my plane and the elogger hooked up to my plane, can I be watching my OSD settings live on the Haier on my ground station as I fiddle with them?, or can I bypass the ground station and the image will show up on my PC?
Last edited by Glenstr; Aug 12, 2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: added ps.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:30 PM
AMA 937634
Joined Jan 2010
1,610 Posts
Glenstr,

Been out of town for a bit, what are you up to? Have you fired up your system yet? Is everything making sense?

-Mike
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:04 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1295 View Post
Glenstr,

Been out of town for a bit, what are you up to? Have you fired up your system yet? Is everything making sense?

-Mike
Been out of town too, volunteering at a youth camp for 13-15 yr olds, I brought my plane and all my gear thinking if I had a spare moment I'd maybe get it set up - but I'm pretty well busy from dawn to dusk with just pockets of free time mixed in - and after a day of dealing with 50 kids I just want to sleep

must be gett'in old!

I'll keep my progress posted on this thread tho..
Old Aug 25, 2011, 05:39 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,962 Posts
Finally got around to futzing with my ET stuff again, I think I have the OSD setup from my PC ok, only one question on setting the radar setup. When I go to configure on screen parameters, the option "enable radar display" is not there, just the one to set the up degrees, which I have no idea what to set it at..

Next is to hook it all up and see what shows up on the screen I guess..
Old Aug 27, 2011, 08:59 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,962 Posts
finally got around to putting it on the plane, just curious if I'm getting the video / audio from the camera correct here. The OSD pro shows which order the wires on, so I am assuming the order starts from the bottom. Here is how I have them:
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:56 PM
AMA 937634
Joined Jan 2010
1,610 Posts
It looks right to me. I go by the audio cable since it's a JR style and it has the tab on it. With the tab you can't plug it in since it's sort of blocked from seating by the circuit board.

I'd flip over your eLogger though so that the side with the USB is facing out. The firmware gets updated every 3 or 4 days it seems so if you're like me you'll be updating at least once or twice a week!

Have you hooked everything up and are you getting video?

-Mike
Old Aug 28, 2011, 01:33 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,962 Posts
Just went and tried it on the plane with my GS hooked up, looking ok but my home was a bit too high so I just moved it down and will see how it looks tomorrow (getting late). I was confused a bit until I realized that the graphical display items were separate from the text items - I'll try this setup and see how it looks.

My setup screen currently looks like this, what do you think?

Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:06 PM
AMA 937634
Joined Jan 2010
1,610 Posts
I've got mine setup this way:

-Mike