HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2011, 06:30 PM
Joined Aug 2011
22 Posts
Discussion
Noob (me) with a Parkzone P-47 - to fly or not to fly?

Hey guys. I bought a TERRIBLE Guan-Li plane online a week ago and after sending back possibly the lowest quality thing I'd ever bought in my life I phoned a model shop and ended up spending about Ģ400 on a proper setup. He said Parkzone had what I wanted (fast/easy setup, good build quality, good instructions, had model in a simulator they sold) and said they were all fairly similar in terms of how they flew so I got a P-47 Thunderbird over other models (namely the T28). I am using it with a DX6i. However after looking for more info/videos of the plane I have (and already opened and built) I have read countless times about how the Parkzone T28 is much easier to fly and much more forgiving (especially with landings) than the P47.

So here's the thing, it is my first ever RC plane. I did get it with the phoenix flight simulator and have done about 6 hours already and am fairly competent on that now, but I was planning my maiden flight tomorrow when the wind dies down (nothing fancy, basic turns and get it home) but am somewhat worried that it's going to be a Ģ160 mistake. I am now wondering whether to order the T28 as well (so keep P47 for a month or two and learn on the T28 first) or go with an actual trainer plane first instead. I guess it probably makes more sense if i buy a second one to go for a trainer? While I don't have money to burn getting a 2nd plane, I'd rather spend more money and have two working planes at the end of it rather than destroying one, spending more money anyway and having only one plane.

So what do you guys think I should do? Has anyone here started with a plane like the P47 as their first plane with simulator time only?

Any and all input for people who are into the scene already would be massively appreciated. Thanks.
richardlamb is offline Find More Posts by richardlamb
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:20 PM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
The Parkzone P-47 is not a trainer. If you fly it without an instructor and buddy box, you will crash it. The P-47 is fast, responsive and easy to stall. A novice needs exactly the opposite. Look for a high wing plane. My favorite is the E-Flite Apprentice but there all kinds of excellent trainers available. Store the P-47 for next year.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:56 PM
Joined Jan 2010
913 Posts
Having the simulator available will help a great deal, but you still will not be able to start out by yourself with that P-47. The T-28 might have been a slightly better choice, but still far from ideal - certainly, it's not different enough that you should buy one now. The E-Flite Apprentice FMW mentions flies about the same as the T-28. If you have an instructor, any of the planes we're talking about are fine.

With no instructor, though, you'll need to get started on something a bit simpler. A Multiplex EasyStar or one of its many inexpensive clones (like the Dynam Hawk Sky) would be excellent. A Hobby Zone Super Cub is another good option. After some time on the simulator, you should be able to fly either of these safely by yourself, and learn enough to progress carefully to your P-47.
machinate is offline Find More Posts by machinate
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:02 PM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Too big, too fast to learn solo.

I tried with an 800mm Bf 109 (roughly the same size) and I was lucky I crashed it without hurting someone.

If you are to do this alone, and you can, you really need to shelve it and get a small high wing trainer. There really is few shortcuts in this hobby. I managed to learn relatively quickly with a low wing 4 channel (UM T-28), but it was frustrating and a lot of repair work.

My sons were doing figure 8s with their Champs by the end of the first battery charge.

The Jug has much more mass than a UM and won't bounce, just break.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:32 AM
Norway, Akershus, Frogner
Joined Jun 2010
920 Posts
It all depends on how much of a natural you are i gues. I started with a T28 and didn't crash even once. (only once like 4 months later a tree lashed out with a branch and brought my plane down).

The P47 i would put on a shelf and fly later. It really is not as forgiving as a T28.

What you also could do.. and migth maybe even be the best option, is buy a Micro T28.
It will save you alot of money, it is 4ch, has landing gear and can take allot of beating, especialy if you fly over a bit longer grass. I wouldn't go from the Micro t28 to the p47 but the Micro will give you a great feeling on 4ch, and get you allot of fun.
Coenraad is offline Find More Posts by Coenraad
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:51 AM
Joined Aug 2011
22 Posts
Thanks for the honest replies guys. I think you're all right (and am glad my gut was telling me me to rush in and to ask first). It's a bit annoying that I was recommended this plane by a model shop worker (I guess because it cost a lot), but ultimately is my fault for not researching it more I guess. On the parkzone site they say the P47 is a "good 3rd plane" (after a trainer, then a T28, then P47 is good route) which is where alarm bells really started ringing. If I had a T28 I might be tempted to give it a go, but with the P47 I agree that it will likely end in tears!

Been looking at the Super Cub LP, like the look of it and has loads of good reviews (plus is BNF so will work with my spectrum straight away). Anyone think of a reason I shouldn't get this plane? Or why a different trainer would better suited for practising for my P47 flight?

Thanks again guys, you've been really helpful.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:58 AM
Birmingham (UK)
Joined Sep 2010
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardlamb View Post
Been looking at the Super Cub LP, like the look of it and has loads of good reviews (plus is BNF so will work with my spectrum straight away). Anyone think of a reason I shouldn't get this plane?
I cannot thing of any reason!!! That is the perfect plane to start with for a novice without an instructor.
ulogix is offline Find More Posts by ulogix
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:37 AM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Been looking at the Super Cub LP, like the look of it and has loads of good reviews (plus is BNF so will work with my spectrum straight away). Anyone think of a reason I shouldn't get this plane? Or why a different trainer would better suited for practising for my P47 flight?
Don't have experience myself with the Super Cub, but from following a 5 year thread that has stretched now for 4 threads, plus an added thread on Super Cub with floats, added to that an entire other forum (not here on RCGroups) strictly about the Super Cub, I think that would be the best way to go.

I want a Super Cub not because I need a trainer, but because Cubs are such cool planes, look fantastic, I want a nice relaxing flyer, and there is so much information out there about the HZ Super Cub. Fly the BNF version for a while on 3 channels, then later on upgrade to brushless and flat wing with ailerons. Everything I've read is that the Super Cub isn't a trainer you use to learn then move on, it is a trainer you use, then move on while keeping it, upgrading, and using it as your relaxing go-to flyer to compliment your next 1 or 5 or 10 more difficult plane collection.
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:53 AM
Joined Jul 2011
19 Posts
I taught myself to fly on the Super Cub. Having Phoenix helped as well to learn because the Super Cub is on Phoenix.

The BNF version has everything you need except I would recommend investing in a better charger. My HobbyZone charger is not working as it should after a few months of use

Good luck
southern_storm is offline Find More Posts by southern_storm
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:28 AM
Joined Aug 2011
22 Posts
OK well I've definitely decided to get a trainer first, as much as I am dying to take out the P47 today (wind has finally died down) I have resided myself to the fact that I am not ready for it. But I would ideally like to get one that will lead me up nicely to using the P47 as my second plane, rather than getting another one inbetween a trainer and P47 as I am not made of money . So I think that means I'd like a 4 channel (which is what I have been practicising with on the sim and same as P47, as opposed to 3 channel super cub for example) and also to be able to use the same batteries (2200mah Lipo) as my P47 to reduce extra expense (I already have 3 2200mah batteries). I'd also like one that is BNF/ARTF and works with my spektrum DX6i controller for simplicity and as I don't like building (I have back problems when sitting which makes it hard). Do you think a slightly more advanced trainer will be OK to fly on my own? For example I have found this one:

ST Model Discovery ARTF http://www.kingslynnmodelshop.co.uk/...duct_info.html

With this (with a Deans to EC3 connector) I can use my P47 reciever and batteries. Anyone have any experience of knowledge of this plane? Or have any better 4 channel/2200mah/BNF or ARTF models they think would be better suited for a novice with only sim time?

Many thanks again for all your help so far.
Last edited by richardlamb; Aug 12, 2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:40 AM
Joined Mar 2011
548 Posts
My son and I learnt to fly on an Easy Glider which was a very wise decision, and very recommendable. Then my son bought a Parkzone T-28 which is an absolute blast and after training on a Motor Glider it seems easy and a natural progression, well it worked for us anyway. A friend flies a Parkzone P 47 and it flies really well, but he has been doing this for years, so perhaps he makes it look easy? If itīs too windy just stay home, it beats coming back with an aeroplane in a dozen pieces, I have had a bad experience.
Good luck with the flying. Chris
papabearflying is offline Find More Posts by papabearflying
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:17 AM
Joined Nov 2010
349 Posts
I learned on the Supercub LP, and I now fly the P-47 every day. I think this is a very good progression.
ufale is offline Find More Posts by ufale
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:18 AM
Joined Aug 2011
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufale View Post
I learned on the Supercub LP, and I now fly the P-47 every day. I think this is a very good progression.
Interesting - did you jump straight between the two? Or was there another in the middle?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:32 PM
Joined Nov 2010
349 Posts
Quote:
Interesting - did you jump straight between the two? Or was there another in the middle?
Sorry. I should have said that there were some planes in between. Maybe the Trojan or the Wildcat would be good transition planes to the P-47.
ufale is offline Find More Posts by ufale
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:40 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Mar 2004
1,491 Posts
Richard,
Good for you for waiting on the P-47 and getting a simulator. That hobby store sounds pretty clueless when it comes to airplanes. At least you know if you can trust them now.

I started out with a simulator and a GWS Beaver. (Pretty much as slow and easy to fly as they come.) And even with that it was still plenty exciting for a new pilot. So going the Supercub route sounds like a good idea.

Once you get really good with the Supercub, maybe you could find a pilot you trust to buddy box you with the P-47 to see if you can handle it?

Colin
ColinB is offline Find More Posts by ColinB