HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Chap1012, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:17 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,662 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Make your own grommets

As many of you already know the grommets that hold the canopy on for the mcX are nearly impossible to find. Well, here is a quick fix that I know you'll just love. Thanks to a member here on RCG (Jetskeeter) gave me permission to post this idea in my blog. It is very simple and you will NEVER run out of grommets. NEVER!

Jetskeeter recommends the insulation from 22-26 gauge wire. I didn't have any gauge to gauge wire so, it took some time running around the house/cellar looking for the right size. What I came up with is regular wire from a lamp. I cut it to size, used a round tooth pick to help stretch and lube the inside (make sure lube is plastic friendly) of the pieces to be used. And presto! Because of this neat trick I was back in the air. There was no way I was going to fly without a canopy with the "very expensive" 5in1 so vulnerable.
Thanks Jetskeeter

In addition to using this wire insulating material, it is also useful to keep your canopy in place (here it's for my 120SR). To keep it from slipping side to side. Cut 4 pieces about a strong 1/16" of an inch. Lube up a round tooth pick with plastic friendly lube and slip the cut piece onto the tooth pick to lube and stretch. Let it sit for about 15 minutes, remove and quickly maneuver it onto the air frame rod. Now pull the mod ring to the edge and clean the air frame rod with alcohol to remove the lube and prep for the application of LEXEL. It will take some doing on your part. Your hard work and persistence will pay off.

My Next Step:
LEXEL application: Just a dab on each side where the air frame rod exits from the center of the main frame. LEXEL sticks very well to almost any material and is easily removed when needed to do so. I have used this product on many applications (including helicopters) with great success. I am using it and will report my findings for holding power.

EDIT: The LEXEL application to the air frame rod holds up well for normal flying with some bumps and bruising. I did experience a heavy crash in which the air frame rod moved about 1/4". Really no biggie. I just used a soft hammer to tap it back into center.
Bottom line: I would recommend the use of Lexel to keep the rear air frame rod in place as this rod has a nasty habit of shifting from side to side and in many cases, even going un-noticed, leaving your heli un-balanced in flight.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Last edited by Chap1012; Mar 14, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2012, 09:25 AM View Post
sukusin
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:11 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,662 Posts
As long as sukusin follows RCG rules, let him have his say. sukusin, please edit your post.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012