HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:17 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2 Posts
Discussion
3d Printing New Canopy for Blade MSR Need 3d Image

I just bought my first legit (or at least somewhat-legit heli), a Blade MSR. I have a 3d printer that can print in ABS or PLA and would like to print some surplus canopies to airbrush/cut to pieces with no guilt.

The only issue is that I don't have a 3d image of the stock canopy and my 3d image design skills are no where near what I would need to produce this.

Does anyone out there know where I might find a 3d image of a canopy that would fit the MSR? I'll a ship a print of a canopy to someone if they can help me find/make one...
BWChronos is offline Find More Posts by BWChronos
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:33 AM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
What do you need??? A DXF file, the canopy mounting points locations should be good enough start, make something cool if you're going to do this... I vote for a scale fuse... Do you have a link showing this "3d Printer"... I should be able to help you with the drawing or file creation...
kdill2160 is offline Find More Posts by kdill2160
Old Aug 11, 2011, 02:42 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2 Posts
The printer is an Ultimaker. It's an extrusion printer, here's a link: http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Introduction

The file that I send to it needs to be an STL but I can render that file if necessary. A scale fuse would be pretty cool...

Anything you design I would gladly print/ship to you for free for the first one and at shipping cost after that. One thing to note is that, just because of the extrusion printing process, there are visible lines in the print for each level. The Ultimaker can get pretty high resolution, though, and with some sanding (which I would want to do anyway to lighten it up) it would look pretty good.
BWChronos is offline Find More Posts by BWChronos
Last edited by BWChronos; Aug 11, 2011 at 05:02 PM.