HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:46 PM
United States, WA, Skokomish
Joined Aug 2011
31 Posts
Discussion
1:64 M/V Kaleetan

Welcome to another attempt at the Kaleetan.

After spending half a year photographically documenting the Kaleetan from just about every angle possible, I have decided to build what will become my first remote-control replica of any boat. Ever.

Having years of experience building museum-quality replicas of Titanic, I hope to build what will be my most detailed model ever.

A little background on the Kaleetan:

The Kaleetan is a 382-foot-two inch vessel operated by Washington State Ferries, currently serving the Seattle-Bremerton run (possibly becoming a Seattle-Bremerton dedicated boat). With a beam of 73' 2'', she was built in 1967 and entered service on the Bainbridge Island - Seattle ferry run where she ran with the M/V Enetai until she was sent into the San Juans upon the completion and maiden crossing of the M/V Spokane in 1972. She is the second of four "Super Class" ferries built by National Steel and Shipbuilding Company, the first being the Hyak, and the last two being the Yakima and Elwha (in that build order).

My model will be 5' 11" long and 1' 1 3/4" wide, with a draft of 2 1/2".

Since this is my first remote-control model, what's the best method for building the hull? At this scale, I want to keep things close to accurate as possible. My plan is sheet styrene reinforced by styrene and balsa, with lead counterbalance weights to keep the hull from wobbling (noting the problems modeler Umi had with hers), yet light enough to keep the model from beiing too heavy.

Any suggestions? Construction will kick off in a few weeks.
mv_kaleetan is offline Find More Posts by mv_kaleetan
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:25 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,265 Posts
Welcome to the forum, we want lots of pictures.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:42 AM
Joined Aug 2011
31 Posts
Oh, as soon as construction starts and I lay out the construction template, there'll be pix aplenty.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:04 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,160 Posts
I like it...
At 1/64 scale, you should be able to get some RC cars.

Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; Aug 11, 2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:26 AM
Joined Aug 2011
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki View Post
I like it...
At 1/64 scale, you should be able to get some RC cars.

LOL. Once I get the ferry done, I plan on building a miniature ferry landing somewhat like the ones in Bremerton with the upgraded steel dolphins and wingwalls.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 02:02 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,160 Posts
I have a car float apron that I want to modify and paint green...

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3068

Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:02 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,433 Posts
My family is from Seattle (West, now in Whidbey), you need to make sure that you can break the wing walls and dolphins periodically, that way you divert major traffic into smaller boats and at the least convenient times. (like when they killed the downtown landing(s) for two years and half of the traffic have to go through the much much smaller West Seattle terminal) LOL
Foo
fooman2008 is online now Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:28 AM
Joined Aug 2011
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008 View Post
My family is from Seattle (West, now in Whidbey), you need to make sure that you can break the wing walls and dolphins periodically, that way you divert major traffic into smaller boats and at the least convenient times. (like when they killed the downtown landing(s) for two years and half of the traffic have to go through the much much smaller West Seattle terminal) LOL
Foo
I don't think the Kaleetan ever had a problem ramming docks, though.

AFAIK, it was her sister vessel the M.V. Elwha that had an appetite for munching docks. Either that or constantly running aground. LOL
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:09 AM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,543 Posts
mv_kaleetan , welcome to the group as will look forward to this build and seeing it in person hopefully here with one of the many model boating oppertunities we have .
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:13 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,160 Posts
Any photos of the Titanic models?

Old Aug 11, 2011, 03:24 PM
Joined Aug 2011
31 Posts
Not really, as I built a majority of them before the advent of the digital camera. However, I have a few on my Flickr page of a model I'm currently working on (that's in mothballs right now while I decide whether or not I finish it). Photos were taken in July of last year.

Here's one of the forecastle.

R.M.S. Titanic, Attempt #4 by srosenow_98, on Flickr

R.M.S. Titanic, Attempt #4 by srosenow_98, on Flickr

R.M.S. Titanic - "A" Deck promenade bulkhead expansion joint by srosenow_98, on Flickr
Last edited by mv_kaleetan; Aug 12, 2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:45 PM
Joined Sep 2008
6,433 Posts
Yeah it was Elwah that detroyed one of the dolphins and tried to mount the pier in the 80's which resulted in five times the normal traffic past my grandmothers house to the West Seattle landing, for a year....did a good job of it too. Didn't they try an amphibious landing on Alki point with her also.....?
Foo
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:10 AM
Joined Aug 2011
31 Posts
Not sure about Alki, but I do believe she rammed Colman Dock much like the Kalakala did. I also know that the Elwha required a major rebuild in 1991 following a severe storm in 1990 which saw the ferry break loose from her moorings in 90-mph winds and battering up against a concrete pier. A photo on the website www.evergreenfleet.com shows the Elwha post-storm with half the vessel's starboard side caved in.

The Kaleetan, however, has been incident free, save for a few minor blips (one being a power failure out mid-crossing on the Sea/Brem run). Of all the Supers, I'd say she's the straightest, along with the Hyak. Haven't been on the Yakima.

However, I've got the plans on the way for my own build. So far, these are the final projected numbers.

Length: 5' 11 7/10"

Beam: 1' 1 7/10''

Draft: 3 1/2"

Car deck clearance: 3"
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:50 AM
Joined Aug 2011
31 Posts
And for those not in the know, this is the vessel I plan on recreating.

M/V Kaleetan by srosenow_98, on Flickr

M/V Kaleetan by srosenow_98, on Flickr

M/V Kaleetan No. 2 End upper shelter by srosenow_98, on Flickr

M/V Kaleetan No. 1 End car deck by srosenow_98, on Flickr

M/V Kaleetan No. 2 End by srosenow_98, on Flickr

Plus a link to my entire photo library of the Kaleetan here: (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rosenow...7626071967186/ )

I am a very meticulous modeler and every detail possible will be incorporated into this one.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:01 AM
Joined Sep 2008
6,433 Posts
Many is the day that I have spent going all over Puget Sound on the ferries. When we first got married I took the wife to Seattle and she discovered the ferries and loved them, she is always all over me to go back so she can ride them again. I think in the course of the three weeks were there we rode just about every route in Puget Sound.
Foo