HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2011, 07:08 PM
AMA 1042906
Derby, Kansas
Joined Mar 2008
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsudriver274 View Post
That is interesting, I used the orange wire haha if you look in my pictures you can see the colors are different.

I believe if you look at the back of the board it will be labeled -+& signal
Is there any programming to the AR6400 to get all to operate correctly or once all wires connected correctly and powered on it all works?

Allan
swimmer is online now Find More Posts by swimmer
Last edited by swimmer; Sep 09, 2011 at 07:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2011, 07:33 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Is there any programming to the AR6400 to get all to operate correctly or once all wires connected correctly and powered on it all works?

Allan
You need to use stick logic to change the brick to external ESC mode.

Bind rx to tx

unplug rx battery

hold thottle stick northwest

plug battery into rx

rx flashes 3 times

brushed motor will run constant if plugged into brick.

See AR6400 manual for details.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Sep 09, 2011, 07:54 PM
AMA 1042906
Derby, Kansas
Joined Mar 2008
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
You need to use stick logic to change the brick to external ESC mode.

Bind rx to tx

unplug rx battery

hold thottle stick northwest

plug battery into rx

rx flashes 3 times

brushed motor will run constant if plugged into brick.

See AR6400 manual for details.
Do these instructions apply to my DX6i?

This appears to be much easier than a lot of other things I have read. I'll be ready to complete my upgrade tomorrow and your instructions is what I needed. Also found it in the manual.

Thanks,

Allan
Last edited by swimmer; Sep 09, 2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:14 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,026 Posts
Quote:
The emax 7amp will not work with 3s voltage, the 10 will work but very heavy at 8.5 grams.

The turnigy plush 6amp will work but is not warrantied under 3s operation.

I have had faulty fiego units sent to me for other builds.

Honestly from experience spend the extra coin on the castle creation esc, they claim it weighs 3.96g mine came in a little over 5 with wiring connectors. I have also dealt with castle creations customer support and I can say they rock.
True, no warranty coverage, but for the price of one Thunderbird 6A, I can get three Plush 6As! CC does put out a good product though.

Nick
micro_builder is online now Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:21 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Do these instructions apply to my DX6i?

This appears to be much easier than a lot of other things I have read. I'll be ready to complete my upgrade tomorrow and your instructions is what I needed. Also found it in the manual.

Thanks,

Allan
The only hard part is plugging the the RX battery while holding the throtttle stick "just right". Its good to rig a rubber band to hold the Throttle stick for you and use 2 hands to plug in the battery.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:48 AM
Joined Jul 2009
313 Posts
Holding the sticks is the hardest part, I just have someone else hold the sticks. If you have problems getting the board to switch to brushless mode, reset the model in your tx and rebind.
mitsudriver274 is offline Find More Posts by mitsudriver274
Old Sep 10, 2011, 06:54 PM
AMA 1042906
Derby, Kansas
Joined Mar 2008
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Holding the sticks is the hardest part, I just have someone else hold the sticks. If you have problems getting the board to switch to brushless mode, reset the model in your tx and rebind.
Got all the wiring complete. Tried a number of times but cannot get the board to switch to brushless. AR6400 does not flash but stays steady. Used UNGN's instructions but no joy. Rebinded the DX6I to the AR6400 and still won't switch.

Do I have to use a stock TX to make the brushed to brushless mode? Been trying to make change with my DX6i.

Allan
Last edited by swimmer; Sep 10, 2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:04 PM
Full size pilot
USA, WA, Bellingham
Joined Dec 2009
144 Posts
Try moving the throttle/rudder trims one way or another to get it to bind.
rx7weee is offline Find More Posts by rx7weee
Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:45 PM
AMA 1042906
Derby, Kansas
Joined Mar 2008
1,072 Posts
It Works!!!!

Went to a clean model memory on my DX6i. Switched to brushless the first time. Of course, motor was running backward but a little soldering took care of that and everything works perfect.

Thanks you all for your suggestions.

Allan
Last edited by swimmer; Sep 11, 2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:22 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Yes a clean model memory is important. I use a RTF TX to switch any of my bricks. (that's about the only thing I use it for)
Old Feb 06, 2012, 04:56 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
2,990 Posts
Im also planning my own 3s micro project. The guys over on the umx sbach thread where starting to use a 3s on there umx sbach so I decided to give it a try. Well long story short it stuffed the brick by plugging it in. Theres only 2 people who have run a 3s in the umx sbach sucessfully (still no proof really).

So anyways ive decided to run seperates. As the sbach uses a rx/esc brick with no servos so it makes it easy to replace.

This will be my umx sbach 3s setup:

I have ordered a turnigy plush 10a esc @ 9 grams
hobbyking 6ch (orange rx) @ 4 grams (without the shell)
Hyperion 240mah 3s @ 26g
UM stryker 180 3000kv motor or UM sbach 180 2500kv @ 7grams

stock brick 7g + stock lipo 12g = 19g

VS

hobbyking 6ch rx 4g + 10a esc 9g + cables 1g + 3s hyp 26g = 40g for 3s

VS

hobbyking 6ch rx 4g + 10a esc 9g + cables 1g + 2s zippy 180 15g = 29g for 2s

So for the 3s setup it will be carrying an extra 21g

and for the 2s setup it will be carrying an extra 10g

I have ordered these cables to hook up all the stock servos:

http://micronradiocontrol.co.uk/conn_jstsh.html

JST-SH Extension Leads

I will use the female part of the lead and then probably use a JR connector the other end or just hard wire it to the HK 6ch RX. I will probably end up with a 1gram or two grams in weight with the cables.

Not sure what motor I will use yet. The 2500kv or 3000kv. I will have a 4540, 5275, 5030 and 5043 props to choose from. I will have to run some tests when I get it all setup.

Im hoping I can make my cable adaptors long enough and put the esc up in the tail of the plane. Hopefully the added weight will balance out.

Anwyays im still waiting on parts (2 weeks) but heres a picture with my hyperion 240mah 3s and HK 6ch RX in the middle (think ill put the esc there)

Do you think the UM stryker 180 3000kv motor will be ok on a 3s?

What would be a better motor then this rather then the AEO C10 2100kv?
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
Old Feb 06, 2012, 02:36 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
2,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalyoni View Post
Im also planning my own 3s micro project. The guys over on the umx sbach thread where starting to use a 3s on there umx sbach so I decided to give it a try. Well long story short it stuffed the brick by plugging it in. Theres only 2 people who have run a 3s in the umx sbach sucessfully (still no proof really).
Proof?
what proof do you want??
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Feb 08, 2012, 06:14 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
2,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
Proof?
what proof do you want??
heres all the proof you need buddy

I finally did the 3s mod today. I decided to just cut off the micro jst connectors and solder up the JR connectors to the servos rather than use the micron adapters that I ordered. I figured this would save some weight. It took allot of work, time and frustration but I got it done.

I decided to cut into the top section of the cockpit and mount the RX up in there. I was really running out of room for everything. I mounted the turnigy 10a esc where the stock brick was. I used some cable ties to tidy up the wiring.

As you can see from the picture I cut allot of foam out from behind the battery bay. This will allow me to move the lipo futher back to gain CG. I added some velcro into the battery bay to secure the lipos.

I am using the stock 2500kv motor and stock sbach prop for now.

I took it to the park and I first ran it on a 2s zippy 180 lipo to see if it would fly ok. I then had a second flight and moved the lipo all the way to the front and the CG was much better. It was very windy but I wanted to test it on a 3s.

So I mounted the 3s lipo. Had it a little back from the front. Launched the plane and it has amazing power now. At just about a 1/4 throttle it was almost as fast as it was on a 2s. It takes a while to wind up to top speed but once it gets there its super fast. I only had about a minute and a half run with it before I decided to land it due to the wind. I took the hatch off and the motor wasnt that hot at all.

umx sbach on a 3s 11.1v lipo 2500kv stock prop (2 min 20 sec)

Sorry about the poor quality video but it was windy and overcast and I had it on the wrong setting. Watch it in 720p full screen.

The plane now weighs 65 grams without a lipo
The total flying weight with a 3s (hyp 240) is about 91grams
The total flying weight with a 2s (zip 180) is about 79grams

I might have to try the 3000kv motor on the 3s next time or maybe a 5030 on the 2500kv.

Anyways ive got it up and flying again and it didnt cost me $70 for a new brick. The plane will be much quicker and reliable now.

Im just having problems with my throttle response with the turnigy plush 10a esc. Its very slow to react. Any ideas what this could be please guys?
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
Old Feb 08, 2012, 11:31 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
2,842 Posts
[QUOTE=stalyoni;20656820] (still no proof really).
[QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
Proof?
what proof do you want??
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalyoni View Post
heres all the proof you need buddy
Uh hello??
I was not looking for proof..
I have a sweet Sbach on 3s and it rips!
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55