Old Sep 08, 2011, 09:27 AM
Intergalctic Coffee Enthusiast
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
AP05 from Hobbyking- $16.90 plus shipping

Emax 7 Amp Brushless Motor ESC from HeadsUp RC- $16.95 plus $2.00 shipping. This is a great online hobby store. Very fast shipping

Diode is a couple bucks or less.

2S batteries- I'm planning on series connecting some Hyperion 1S 240mah I have on hand.

Allan
Wow, thanks! That's cheapo! Except it'll take 5 months to get stuff from HK!
MaddSkillz is offline Find More Posts by MaddSkillz
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2011, 12:57 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddSkillz View Post
Ordered my AP05 motor from HK on August 17 and received it Sept 6. Used the cheapest shipping available from them. Could have got it quicker by using a more costly shipping from them but I wasn't in any hurry. Still, not too bad in my opinion and certainly not 5 months.

HeadsUp RC...3 days to my door no matter what I order. They are a great company to buy from.

Allan
swimmer is online now Find More Posts by swimmer
Last edited by swimmer; Sep 08, 2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 01:50 PM
Joined Jul 2009
313 Posts
I did not know the ap05 was 3s capable

if you are doing this conversion I would use an eflite prop adapter it will allow you to sit the motor back a bit father and doesn't require as much cutting up front.
mitsudriver274 is offline Find More Posts by mitsudriver274
Old Sep 08, 2011, 01:55 PM
Joined Jul 2009
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddSkillz View Post
The emax esc can only handle 2s voltage??

Only 3s capable speed controllers that are light enough are the cc thunderbird 6amp and fiego esc both can be purchased at bphobbies. (That I found)

If anyone is thinking about this conversion I strongly recommend using a Castle Creations Thunderbird 6amp esc ( I have had bad luck with the fiego esc's in the past) an eflite 180 outrunner 2200kv with a eflite 2mm prop adapter, hyperion 3s 180, or 240 (I have yet to try a heavier battery, I love the way the plane slows down on with the hyp 180)

Spend the extra cash on good gear, I find when I cut corners on the smaller stuff it tends to break. Although I have to say the c10 2100kv out runner I am using rocks, quietest brushless plane I have ever flown, but I already want more speed.

The 2mm prop adapter from eflite will allow you to mount the motor further back, and allow to fit the motor with less cutting of the airframe.

I have to say out of all the micros i've flown ( Citabria, p51, t28, champ, j3 cub, um 180 stryker, and um mossie) this is the baddest and most fun to fly.

I think its time to put a 4s in this cat....
Last edited by mitsudriver274; Sep 08, 2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 05:43 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsudriver274 View Post

Only 3s capable speed controllers that are light enough are the cc thunderbird 6amp and fiego esc both can be purchased at bphobbies. (That I found)

If anyone is thinking about this conversion I strongly recommend using a Castle Creations Thunderbird 6amp esc ( I have had bad luck with the fiego esc's in the past) an eflite 180 outrunner 2200kv with a eflite 2mm prop adapter, hyperion 3s 180, or 240 (I have yet to try a heavier battery, I love the way the plane slows down on with the hyp 180)

Spend the extra cash on good gear, I find when I cut corners on the smaller stuff it tends to break. Although I have to say the c10 2100kv out runner I am using rocks, quietest brushless plane I have ever flown, but I already want more speed.

The 2mm prop adapter from eflite will allow you to mount the motor further back, and allow to fit the motor with less cutting of the airframe.

I have to say out of all the micros i've flown ( Citabria, p51, t28, champ, j3 cub, um 180 stryker, and um mossie) this is the baddest and most fun to fly.

+1 on the Thunderbird castle creations 6A ESC. Used it in my sukhoi xp for a 2S conversion and has been working ever since (my HK ESC burned out after a few hours of run). Worth the extra money for it to work well and is hassle free.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Sep 08, 2011, 08:13 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,141 Posts
[QUOTE=mitsudriver274;19262408]The emax esc can only handle 2s voltage??

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...--7-Amp/Detail
Old Sep 08, 2011, 09:10 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,882 Posts
Using this one...http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-10-Amp/Detail..with an e-flite park 180 running on 2s in my Champ and it works fine,and will also handle 3s.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Sep 08, 2011, 09:49 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,041 Posts
I've been using the Turnigy Plush 6A ESC on 3S with a motor quite similar to the Park 180. The ESC was completely enclosed, tightly, in the fuselage with no air movement at all and its never given me a problem. Lightweight and cheap!

Nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Sep 09, 2011, 12:11 AM
Joined Jul 2009
313 Posts
The emax 7amp will not work with 3s voltage, the 10 will work but very heavy at 8.5 grams.

The turnigy plush 6amp will work but is not warrantied under 3s operation.

I have had faulty fiego units sent to me for other builds.

Honestly from experience spend the extra coin on the castle creation esc, they claim it weighs 3.96g mine came in a little over 5 with wiring connectors. I have also dealt with castle creations customer support and I can say they rock.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:12 AM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
Using this one...http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-10-Amp/Detail..with an e-flite park 180 running on 2s in my Champ and it works fine,and will also handle 3s.

Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker,

What color off your Emax ESC is the signal wire?

Allan
Old Sep 09, 2011, 11:07 AM
Joined Aug 2008
4,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Ridgewalker,

What color off your Emax ESC is the signal wire?

Allan
The esc i'm using is a Power Up esc 10 amp.

I honestly can't remember what color the signal wire is.

Here is a pic mounted in the plane.

Link to the "build"....http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1713

What colors have you got on your wires to plug into the rx?

Ridgewalker
Old Sep 09, 2011, 12:04 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
The esc i'm using is a Power Up esc 10 amp.

I honestly can't remember what color the signal wire is.

Here is a pic mounted in the plane.

Link to the "build"....http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1713

What colors have you got on your wires to plug into the rx?

Ridgewalker
Red, Black and white. Obviously the white is the signal wire.

Allan
Old Sep 09, 2011, 12:34 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,882 Posts
I think on the power up 10 amp esc it was black,orange and white.
With white as pos,black as neg and orange as signal.
Signal should be the center wire.

FWIW the esc works good and the price is right,this esc has run this motor http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail which is much larger and the esc worked well with that motor as well.

These 180 brushless on 2s is what should be in all these micros from the start if you ask me.

Ridgewalker
Old Sep 09, 2011, 04:51 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsudriver274 View Post

mitsudriver274,

I have another UM upgrade project planned so I picked up a CC Thunderbird 6 ESC this afternoon. There is a white, black and red with the black as the middle wire. As you have used this esc which is the signal wire?

Allan
Old Sep 09, 2011, 04:55 PM
Joined Jul 2009
313 Posts
That is interesting, I used the orange wire haha if you look in my pictures you can see the colors are different.

I believe if you look at the back of the board it will be labeled -+& signal
Last edited by mitsudriver274; Sep 09, 2011 at 05:02 PM.