Originally Posted by babz View Post
some crash protection for beginner like me
flyhigh300 is offline Find More Posts by flyhigh300
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:39 AM
in tartiflette we trust
France, RA, Sallanches
Joined May 2012
36 Posts
it protects the motors...i broked so much....
but it fles well,no problem....the propeller merchant are happy when i fly
i'd like to find a system to protect propellers....
but days after days,i'm becomming a not worth pilot
babz is offline Find More Posts by babz
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:31 PM
Joined Nov 2008
102 Posts
So here's my version of the QuadMini. Eagerly anticipated and finally got it build in the past few days. I'm not into skids but i like this little thing a lot. Very agile even with a giant 2650mah lipo. Kudos to Luis for his service too.

275g without battery
ax 1806n 2500kv motors (3s)
HK 10A UBEC esc's with simonk
1300 / 2650mah 3S
KK2
giek2000 is offline Find More Posts by giek2000
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:24 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,718 Posts
Very nice build..!
Where is the video.. HaHa..
Dialfonzo is offline Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DiaLFonZo-Copter - Announcement
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:51 PM
Joined Nov 2008
102 Posts
Between work and this never ending rain it's been a struggle to get out. Hopefully I'll get something on video this week
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:53 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giek2000 View Post
Between work and this never ending rain it's been a struggle to get out. Hopefully I'll get something on video this week
Just kidding..!
I am glad you like it.

I think you need a top plate that would not hide your fc?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:33 PM
Joined Nov 2008
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialfonzo View Post
Just kidding..!
I am glad you like it.

I think you need a top plate that would not hide your fc?
I can use the buttons from the side but reading LCD is a pain I do like how the lcd is protected now though. I'm still blown away by how solid this thing feels! Can't wait to take it out.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 03:34 PM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
Hello All,
Been a stalker of this page for a number of weeks now and been in talks with Eric to cut me a frame. I got home from seeing some customers and there was a package from Canada waiting for me....Thanks Eric.

I am coming out of a Blue Sky Quad that I have been flying for the last 6 weeks. As I have gotten comfortable with it I am getting more aggressive flying acrobatics and of course that means more crashing....and pretty hard crashes. While I think the Blue Sky is a great frame but was looking for something that would be a bit more durable so that I was not replacing arms every few flights. I will be transferring all the gear from the BSQ to the Quad mini and it consists of the following.

Turnigy 1811-2900 Motors
Plush 6 ESC's
KK2 FC
800MAH 2S packs

It looks like the Quad Mini will weigh around 15 grams more then the BSQ so the performance should still be pretty good.

I know that Eric likes using metal fasteners but since I will be doing acro with this quad I will be using nylon fasteners to fasten the arms in the hopes that when I crash hard enough to break something the nylon fasteners will act as weak point and break instead of a arm.

The wife and little man are heading out of town tomorrow so I hope to have her all sorted by tomorrow evening complete with lights.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Last edited by LJH; Apr 12, 2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 03:43 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH View Post
Hello All,
Been a stalker of this page for a number of weeks now and been in talks with Eric to cut me a frame. I got home from seeing some customers and there was a package from Canada waiting for me....Thanks Eric.

I am coming out of a Blue Sky Quad that I have been flying for the last 6 weeks. As I have gotten comfortable with it I am getting more aggressive flying acrobatics and of course that means more crashing....and pretty hard crashes. While I think the Blue Sky is a great frame but was looking for something that would be a bit more durable so that I was not replacing arms every few flights. I will be transferring all the gear from the BSQ to the Quad mini and it consists of the following.

Turnigy 1811-2900 Motors
Plush 6 ESC's
KK2 FC
800MAH 2S packs

It looks like the Quad Mini will weigh around 15 grams more then the BSQ so the performance should still be pretty good.

I know that Eric likes using metal fasteners but since I will be doing acro with this quad I will be using nylon fasteners to fasten the arms in the hopes that when I crash hard enough to break something the nylon fasteners will act as weak point and break instead of a arm.

The wife and little man are head out of town tomorrow so I hope to have her all sorted by tomorrow evening complete with lights.

Cheers,
Jim
Get that in the air...
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:31 PM
LJH
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
She flies...got her together this morning and even though it is blowing like stink I just put a pack through her. I think she went together pretty well but I do find on things this small it is hard to get a really clean build....but she looks OK.

She came in at exactly 230 grams ready to fly so full oz more then the Blue Sky Quad...it was hard to tell in the breeze but she felt a little bit sluggish compared the the BSQ but I will have to wait till the breeze dies to really see how she does. In all fairness the BSQ did not have legs or a hoop above the FCB so I am guessing the actual frame itself is pretty close in weight.

I did do a little durability test and she escaped without a scratch.

I will take and post some pictures later on.

I want to thank Eric for getting me the frame and I am looking forward to putting a lot of hours on her.

Cheers,
Jim
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:59 AM
LJH
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
Morning All,
I put a bunch of packs through the Quad Mini yesterday in the breeze and then just put two pack through her this morning in no breeze. Yesterday was a good test of durability because of the breeze and I did break an arm....at first I was totally bummed but I decided to try and fix it and see how it worked out. I was pleasantly surprised to find the G10 is VERY repairable. The arm broke out at the end where the relief is milled so I first glued it back together using CA, I then sanded down the repaired area and used carbon tow to span the crack and bonded it with CA. After the first layer I wet sanded it to get it smooth and then put another layer of tow on it and once again bonded with CA. I have to say the repaired area feels stronger then the a none repaired arm.

I had two great flights this morning in 0 breeze, about the only down side to the additional weight is a reduction in flight time. On the Blue Sky Quad I had my timer set for 6:30 which left me about 20% on the packs but on the Mini Quad it leaves me about 12%, I have set the timer to 6 minutes and will see where that gets me.

This morning was really about getting the FC programming to a good place so I was doing a lot of acro in our back yard which is not big. I had a couple unintended "landings" and I am happy to report that there was no damage done to the frame which is a nice relief after the BSQ which would have had some broken arms.

Cheers,
Jim
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:18 AM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,718 Posts
I will look to cut you spares..!
You probably hit really hard?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2013, 09:56 AM
LJH
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialfonzo View Post
I will look to cut you spares..!
You probably hit really hard?
Eric,
It was a very hard hit..... I was messing around with programming and basically flew it full speed into the ground inverted..There is a BIG difference between 80 and 100 on the KK2 stick scaling...not to mention upping the dual rates at the same time.....

I just put another 4 packs through her and think I am at a place with the programming where I am happy. Heading to big field after work to put her through her paces with a bit more room.

No rush on the arms but next time you are cutting some cut out a few more and I will buy a couple to have as spares.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jim