Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:10 AM
Norge, Rogaland, Bryne
Joined Oct 2011
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
Was he flying it in Carefree Mod? If he was that would have explain how the magnets effected the Compass.
Just a thought.
He was flying GPS mode and LOS. He have done some training with full speed forward (about 50Km/t). Never failed and always stable.
Efti is online now Find More Posts by Efti
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:38 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab74 View Post
it also looks like he had some floatation device as he was able to retrieve the data. Good flying too as that was quite a very fast chase.
This is what is use, not sure if they used it.

http://www.amazon.com/Waterbuoy-Rapi.../dp/B002SG9L7W
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined May 2011
364 Posts
Quote:
This is what is use, not sure if they used it.

http://www.amazon.com/Waterbuoy-Rapi.../dp/B002SG9L7W
very cool...and how heavy are these buoys? Would also be very interesting to find out what was actually used during this crash.
IconFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IconFlyer
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:56 AM
John
United States, WA, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexa View Post
Very nice looks a bit z15ish. No vibration. This mount could be the one
Thanks, Yes, "Askman" is making a very nice quality gimbal (AG550) They are constantly testing and experimenting, trying to provide the best gimbal for the money. -- JOHN
digitalCAM is offline Find More Posts by digitalCAM
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:39 AM
Multirotors blow
Peterborough, England
Joined Dec 2006
894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efti View Post
He was flying GPS mode and LOS. He have done some training with full speed forward (about 50Km/t). Never failed and always stable.
Some nice flying but I'm fairly sure the crash was nothing to do with magnets!

The machine almost certainly got caught in the turbulent air behind the boat which disturbed the copter enough to suck it down and roll it out to one side. The auto-pilot didn't have enough time or height to recover before it hit the water.

George.
georgebinns is offline Find More Posts by georgebinns
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:39 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IconFlyer View Post
very cool...and how heavy are these buoys? Would also be very interesting to find out what was actually used during this crash.
These buoys are very light.
I have 2 of them on my DJI F450 with running a 3s battery.
They are pretty awesome and great cheap insurance just in case you crash into the ocean.
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:08 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalCAM View Post
Thanks, Yes, "Askman" is making a very nice quality gimbal (AG550) They are constantly testing and experimenting, trying to provide the best gimbal for the money. -- JOHN
One thing I don't understand is why gimbal manufacturers still use standard servos. Holco put the Futaba brushless on his AV130 and it drastically improved performance, Askman uses the MKS brushless servos if I'm not mistaken? We are past the "high performance" level servos like the Savox stuff I think, if people truely want Zenlike performance they really need to step up to the highest end servos possible. Of course they aren't cheap but if you want performance like John is getting it is the first stepping stone to get there.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Last edited by Sid3ways; Jul 30, 2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:10 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
He must be a good flier cus I bet its not easy to keep up with a speed boat flying LOS. Would be easier FPV for sure.
That was good flying and from the boat, looking backwards.
Buffythesaint is offline Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined Aug 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebinns View Post
Some nice flying but I'm fairly sure the crash was nothing to do with magnets!

The machine almost certainly got caught in the turbulent air behind the boat which disturbed the copter enough to suck it down and roll it out to one side. The auto-pilot didn't have enough time or height to recover before it hit the water.

George.
That would be my thoughts also.
Davebbb is offline Find More Posts by Davebbb
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:22 PM
BUILD.FLY.CRASH.REPEAT.
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Mar 2012
673 Posts
Hey all

I just picked up a used wookong and am going to be mounting it on my DW AD8. Sadly, to my just recent surprise, it seems there isn't a way to run 8 motors, PLUS a photo gimbal. I've seen the setup done before, so, how are people getting around that? A separate gimbal controller?
p0st4L is online now Find More Posts by p0st4L
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:44 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0st4L View Post
Hey all

I just picked up a used wookong and am going to be mounting it on my DW AD8. Sadly, to my just recent surprise, it seems there isn't a way to run 8 motors, PLUS a photo gimbal. I've seen the setup done before, so, how are people getting around that? A separate gimbal controller?
I use "Y" connectors on the ESC signal wires and pair the ESCs to the MC. Then you simple set the WKM as if it's a "+" quad and you can use the ports for the gimbal output.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:47 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
One thing I don't understand is why gimbal manufacturers still use standard servos. Holco put the Futaba brushless on his AV130 and it drastically improved performance, Askman uses the MKS brushless servos if I'm not mistaken? We are past the "high performance" level servos like the Savox stuff I think, if people truely want Zenlike performance they really need to step up to the highest end servos possible. Of course they aren't cheap but if you want performance like John is getting it is the first stepping stone to get there.
Thats a good idea, too bad I had a few nice hitec brushless but av130 servo horn dont fit.
hexa is offline Find More Posts by hexa
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:06 PM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Jan 2009
789 Posts
You need a S-bus receiver if you use Futaba gear, or a S-bus converter if you use any other brand.

Quote:
Hey all

helicoblast is online now Find More Posts by helicoblast
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:35 PM
BUILD.FLY.CRASH.REPEAT.
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Mar 2012
673 Posts
Quote:
I use "Y" connectors on the ESC signal wires and pair the ESCs to the MC. Then you simple set the WKM as if it's a "+" quad and you can use the ports for the gimbal output.
which motors do you pair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicoblast View Post
You need a S-bus receiver if you use Futaba gear, or a S-bus converter if you use any other brand.
I have a Spektrum DX8, so I suppose I should look into a s-bus converter and all stuff that goes along w/ that. *ugh*
p0st4L is online now Find More Posts by p0st4L
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:48 PM
Joined May 2011
364 Posts
Quote:
which motors do you pair?

I have a Spektrum DX8, so I suppose I should look into a s-bus converter and all stuff that goes along w/ that. *ugh*
I currently use the futaba s-bus converter and it works very well. I suppose you could also use this cheaper alternative:
https://store.diydrones.com/product_p/br-ppme.htm since WKM now also has PPM. I have a couple of those and they work very well but I've never used them on the WKM.
IconFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IconFlyer