HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:11 AM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Jan 2009
792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boranup View Post
I have a question for failsafe. I use predominantly GPS or atti to fly, rarely do I use manual now. I am using 5.08 and have advanced failed safe methods as go home and landing.

I do understand after startup to wait for the flashing green lights to set the home point. Is there anything else I need to do?

If my transmitter fails it will now come home? (hope to test this tomorrow). I ask this question as I watched a video that said I had to program my transmitter for a switch to fail safe?

Thanks
You can use a switch for RTH or you can switch your radio off with FW 5.08.
The switch needs to use a mix on your Tx to put the flying mode (Man, Atti, GPS) on failsafe mode.

If you want to switch off your Tx, please make sure that your Rx as built-in failsafe which will put the throttle between 50% and 10%, and will not change the values on the other lines (Ail, Elev, Rud).

You can set home point by switching 5 times between home lock and off, the green flashing led will confirm that the new home point is set, like it does on startup.
helicoblast is online now Find More Posts by helicoblast
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:11 AM
Portugal, Lisbon, Cascais
Joined Mar 2010
327 Posts
5.12a

I used 5,12a today after review/redo all the configs and callibrations.
After a few minutes of flying the S800, I could turn left anymore. I had to use the go-home to get closer and land without the left input. Any idea of the root cause?
semich is offline Find More Posts by semich
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:19 AM
United States, MI, Jenison
Joined Jun 2008
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by semich View Post
After a few minutes of flying the S800, I could turn left anymore. I had to use the go-home to get closer and land without the left input. Any idea of the root cause?
Please share some specifics of your setup i.e. Radio, RX/TX, Octo, hexa, Quad....
nicnaimless is offline Find More Posts by nicnaimless
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:19 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,166 Posts
Do you mean bank or yaw? Did you unplug any of the motor leads?

I accidentally reversed the plugs for motor 7&8 once and I could not yaw left with any great authority, but I could yaw right. Other than that, it still flew reasonably well.

Quote:
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Mar 2010
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic001 View Post
Do you mean bank or yaw?

I accidentally reversed the plugs for motor 7&8 once and I could not yaw left with any great authority, but I could yaw right.
Bank. I'm flying the S800 - Hexa, I don't have the motor 7&8 connected.
It was flying well (all directions) for 6 mins.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:21 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,166 Posts
S800 is a Hexa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnaimless View Post
Please share some specifics of your setup i.e. Radio, RX/TX, Octo, hexa, Quad....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:26 AM
United Kingdom, England, Surrey
Joined Jan 2012
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator1 View Post
O.K I am back from my first stage of testing 5.12a Octo config Traditional receiver "30 mins flight time", so I have tested most modes and low volt failsafe and my findings are a follows....
Please bear in mind that all setups are different as regards to motors, esc`s and weight are concerned so use this only as a guide.
On startup motor speed has been increased, this is just something I noticed not an issue
Starting with basic gain at 100% I found it very unstable, more like manual mode, so perhaps start at 150%? After tuning in all gains I found thst the end setting worked out at 30% less than I previously had using 5.08, so maybe a few of you could start off reducing your gains by 30% and work from there?
Leave advanced settings alone, I had altered them on 5.08 and got better performance but this is not needed on 5.12a as the standard settings are better than I accomplished by tuning on 5.08..
After tuning in all parameters I tried POI mode and found it worked very well indeed, apart from some height loss whilst banking around the target? this was stopped by increasing the thrrottle slightly, the same height was then held until I stopped banking then the machine would slowly climb until I returned the stick to around 50%.
It wasn`t long before I noticed the home position was not automatically set when GPS signal is first locked? I tried rebooting several times and no luck? so I programmed a mix into my radio to use home lock. Then after toggling the switch between off and home lock a few times, the green lights were visible on the LED.. So I continued to test return to launch and failsafe, both worked flawlessly. So it is worth bearing in mind at present to set the home position manually, otherwise failsafe and rtl will not work.. This is not such a bad thing as sometimes I power up right next to my van and home position is set there.. If I forget it could be an issue?
Manual mode is a little lively, and could be cooled down by programming in some expo on your radio? but if you can fly without any stabilisation then it isn`t a problem at all.. But if you dont have much experience in flying I wouldn`t recommend it.
With the low voltage failsafe I found the machine dropped very quickly and would probably cause some damage if allowed to continue its course? but putting in some throttle, stops the descent and you can land without issue.
I will continue to get some more flight time in later today and report any issues? but for now I am happy with the performance.
Now got an hours flight time in, and no problems
Aviator1 is offline Find More Posts by Aviator1
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:26 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,166 Posts
I dunno, but that sounds like a scary situation having to use RTH for real to actually get it back.

If RTH could return it, then it's likely not a motor, ESC or Prop issue.
My guess is that something has happened to your Roll calibration. Can you plug into the assistant and see if it's still sitting in the middle and highlighted green, Someone here recently was having issues where every now and then their calibration marker would sit to one side. There's a video a few hundred posts back.

EDIT, if it's one of those accelerometer saturation (is that the right word) issues from being in FFF, then you could try flicking to Manual then back to Atti to see if you get full control back. But then if it was that issue, you would have had excessive right roll.

Hope you find the cause.

Quote:
Bank. I'm flying the S800 - Hexa, I don't have the motor 7&8 connected.
It was flying well (all directions) for 6 mins.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:30 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,048 Posts
Quote:
Not bad for a "little creek", I like the forward flight over the duck weed.

Good work!
You are the first to spot that it is duck weed and not "scum" or algae.

Thanks.
Andy
Sid3ways is online now Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:38 AM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2276B View Post
I ordered products from Robert on July 9th. After our initial emails on the 9th, I can't get a response on my order status. Does anybody have a better method to contact him?
What is your name?

I go thru all my emails: Robert @ Uavproducts.com

What did you order?
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined Mar 2010
327 Posts
Quote:
I dunno, but that sounds like a scary situation having to use RTH for real to actually get it back.

If RTH could return it, then it's likely not a motor, ESC or Prop issue.
My guess is that something has happened to your Roll calibration. Can you plug into the assistant and see if it's still sitting in the middle and highlighted green, Someone here recently was having issues where every now and then their calibration marker would sit to one side. There's a video a few hundred posts back.

EDIT, if it's one of those accelerometer saturation (is that the right word) issues from being in FFF, then you could try flicking to Manual then back to Atti to see if you get full control back. But then if it was that issue, you would have had excessive right roll.

Hope you find the cause.
The calibration was ok, I ve test it after coming back home... scary not to know the cause... I was flying with the zenmuse and nex 7... damage would be expensive for sure!
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:25 PM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
bummer.... perhaps dual trays attached to 3 booms on either side?

It does look great, love the Cinestar dampeners. I need to figure out how to use those too!
Well is done 2 trays either side for balance. 4.2kg without gimbal and camera

cheers
bcollydas is offline Find More Posts by bcollydas
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Jul 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSky View Post
Since I went to firmware 2.12 my WK-M doesn't give me the confirmation flashes. It actually has recorded the home position, I checked that by going to Home Lock.

It's the same with FW 2.12a as well.

Anyone else noticed this?
I don't get them either since going to 5.12...i thought it was because i have mode 3 selected (off-POI-HL).

The green flashes are for CL (coarse lock) right?
azdroneflyer is offline Find More Posts by azdroneflyer
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined Mar 2010
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdroneflyer View Post
I don't get them either since going to 5.12...i thought it was because i have mode 3 selected (off-POI-HL).

The green flashes are for CL (coarse lock) right?
I've done a test now, after re calibrating the COMPASS and now I see the lights flashing. Wasn't before. I also have mode 3. I made the swithing with the POI and HL and not the POI and off.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:38 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollydas View Post
Well is done 2 trays either side for balance. 4.2kg without gimbal and camera

cheers
exactly what i had in mind

Nice work, why are there so many deans connectors?
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275