HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:53 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
With all the problems they are having with hardware and software I am starting to regret ditching Hover Fly for DJI. They have a superiority complex and they threw update and hardware out before they test them. Am i wrong?
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:56 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
With all the problems they are having with hardware and software I am starting to regret ditching Hover Fly for DJI. They have a superiority complex and they threw update and hardware out before they test them. Am i wrong?
Yeah because HoverFly has never done that...
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:59 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
yeah, HF definitely has had firmware issues.....

I have both and like to fly both, i am sure there is a better thread that we could talk about pros/cons of the hardware and support offered by the two companies
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:05 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Yeah because HoverFly has never done that...
Are you happy with DJI?
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:34 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,155 Posts
And who are you to be such an expert? Have you lost 2 motors in flight?

I was not trying to show ability to take off, I was trying to show that stable flight is possible with the loss of two props without it falling out of the sky. And I did that.

I also showed that GPS PH is possible with the loss of 2 props.

So the only difference between a staged loss and an unexpected one is pilot reaction time, and distance from nearby obstacles, and whether or not you are already in gps PH.

If you think it's stupid, go do your own tests in your own way and cut your own red wire. (which is actually easy).

EDIT: I have no idea what you are trying to say in your EDIT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panza View Post
PLEASE, stop with this stupid tests.
Every IMU is able to take off with motor(s) less.
The real test is to take off with all, and cute one in flight.
Make a fit with a servo and a TX swith, to cut red wire... (i know it's not easy)
And we will see the time response and understanding of the wookong.

EDIT : It's not a valid test, still the WK take off without prop, and knows (early) how to compense.
When you loose a prop, if imu takes 2s, it'ts (early) too late.
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:38 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
i do understand the idea of a mid flight failure is different than a preflight failure.

but i dont think it is useless.

BTW in order for a rig to really be redundant you need to be over 1:3 thrust to weight ratio....
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:47 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,155 Posts
Man, some of you guys really have no idea yet speak like you're experts.

Though I was not trying to see specifically if I could take-off, the takeoff is the most unstable part of the flight as the rpm is the lowest.

In normal flight, all motors are already up to speed so the loss of a motor is merely a blip. When you say "starting to compensate", you do realise you are talking about a system that can make compensations at 100-400Hz right?

The only instance that throwing a prop would cause real grief on an octal is if it threw one blade and left the other behind, then the IMU (depending on the brand and how its mounted amongst other things) may become over saturated with bad data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebbb View Post
i concur, these tests prove nothing, as its getting ready to lift, its already starting to adjust and compsenate itself for the prop loss, and will sort itself out to lift in an instance like in the video.

throwing a prop mid flight, is a different situation completely.
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Aug 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic001 View Post
And who are you to be such an expert? Have you lost 2 motors in flight?

I was not trying to show ability to take off, I was trying to show that stable flight is possible with the loss of two props without it falling out of the sky. And I did that.

I also showed that GPS PH is possible with the loss of 2 props.

So the only difference between a staged loss and an unexpected one is pilot reaction time, and distance from nearby obstacles, and whether or not you are already in gps PH.

If you think it's stupid, go do your own tests in your own way and cut your own red wire. (which is actually easy).

EDIT: I have no idea what you are trying to say in your EDIT.
he was not meaning to show the ability to take off, he was meaning that testing with props already off prior to take off, is a different situation than losing two props mid flight, as taking off with them already off, the system has already compensated for those props prior to lift off, in flight, the system has to compensate whilst still attempting to stay airborne, and the fact when testing at lift off, your already ready for any "ill" effects, in flight, your not ready.

What it can or cannot do is not the point, the point is a ground test like yours, is still totally different than props lost in flight, im not saying its totally useless, merely agreeing with the fact that they two totally different scenarios.

your test does not prove that if your at 300 feet and lose two props that all will be well and nothing happen.

I dont think anyone is trying to be an "expert", merely stating that they are different situations, the only way to test what will happen mid flight is by doing it mid flight.
Davebbb is offline Find More Posts by Davebbb
Last edited by Davebbb; Jul 23, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:01 PM
vip
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2012
311 Posts
Hey, the guy went out of his way to show us something that I see useful , draw your own conclusions from that and move onto to something of benefit, this thread is ending up being a
"crying" board that's why the heck it is 965 pages of junk like this.. the banter is not helping anyone.. if any of us had it figured out we would not be here reading this garbage..
vip is offline Find More Posts by vip
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:42 PM
North Central Positronics
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,307 Posts
Yesterday, I finished final setup on my S800 and ran it up and hovered very briefly in my side yard just to make sure it was set up right and working. Today I took it to the field for it's first official test flight, and I am VERY happy with it. It worked so well that I did two RTH and land in the first flight, along with fast forward flight and position hold. Just beautiful! I am running two Align 6s 5200's in parallel for 10400mah- I timed this first flight to 10 minutes and the battery meter said 60% left. It was 94F at the field, 8 mph winds. Here's the videos I took while I was flying it.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

DJI S800 Spreading Wings 1st Flight- Position Hold (0 min 21 sec)

DJI S800 Spreading Wings 1st Flight- Return to Home and Land #1 (2 min 2 sec)

DJI S800 Spreading Wings 1st Flight- Return to Home and Land #2 (1 min 34 sec)
badbill is offline Find More Posts by badbill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:43 PM
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined May 2011
822 Posts
I am having the problem that i can't see the complete Autopilot tab in that 1.30 and 1.30A assistant. Did one of you have a similar problem. Did someone solve it ?

I also man change the gains.

Using windows 7 all the other assistants worked.

Thanks

Boris
BorisSA is offline Find More Posts by BorisSA
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Feb 2006
68 Posts
Where is Robert from DJI?

I ordered products from Robert on July 9th. After our initial emails on the 9th, I can't get a response on my order status. Does anybody have a better method to contact him?
R2276B is offline Find More Posts by R2276B
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:06 PM
DJI Support
Joined Mar 2012
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisSA View Post
I am having the problem that i can't see the complete Autopilot tab in that 1.30 and 1.30A assistant. Did one of you have a similar problem. Did someone solve it ?

I also man change the gains.

Using windows 7 all the other assistants worked.

Thanks

Boris
Hey,Boris,
you are in fail safe mode. Tune the gains with your Tx on.
terry.one is offline Find More Posts by terry.one
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:19 PM
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined May 2011
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.one View Post
Hey,Boris,
you are in fail safe mode. Tune the gains with your Tx on.
Hi Terry,

i was at first in failsafe mode because i forgot to connect the futaba. I can tune gains with X2 and X3, but i can't change them manually in the assistant.

(Edit) I press write and it jumps back to 100 % or 120 for attitude etc.

Tuning with X2 X3 is fine but at some point i want fixed gains so i can use X2 and X3 for something else.

Were could the problem be I tried it on different Windows installations and its an MC that was produced before Jan 2012.

Thanks

Boris
BorisSA is offline Find More Posts by BorisSA
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Aug 2011
168 Posts
After entering the gain value, try pressing "enter" rather than clicking on write.
Davebbb is offline Find More Posts by Davebbb