HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2011, 11:35 AM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzer View Post

I was mearly asking if there were somewhere else that people are posting about there experiences with the Wookong M.
There were two threads in the other forum about the WooKong:

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t655779p1/

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t657956p1/

But both were closed by the owner because it was too much an advertisement (?????).
Even though DJI is a sponsor of that forum.

Other than that, there may be news at APLanding - but activity has been very low there lately.

There is also bbs from China, where you get a few more threads, but in Chinese. There may even be a crash report in there somewhere. Example:

http://bbs.5imx.com/bbs/viewthread.p...&extra=&page=1

That leaves RCG still the best place for discussing this product on an international platform.

BB
borneobear is offline Find More Posts by borneobear
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2011, 11:48 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
So far there is actually very little BS in this thread luckily, I questioned the post stabilization becuase its a fact of life, it works very well and can be VERY deciving.

Here is a link to a video I did with a plane that had NO ONBOARD stabilzation...

http://vimeo.com/23136766

Start watching at 1:22... This is where I add in post stabilization. You would think I have an onboard servo to stabilize the camera.... but in fact the camera is STATIONARY and fixed to the plane...

See how deciving post stabilization can be? Now add in a camera mount that is reasonably good to this.. then stabilize in post...

So hence my question and also if you read what I read I said "don't jump on them if they used post stabilization" because everyone does it..

There is a lot to learn about AP and there are very knolegable people on here... however it's not all high fives and atta boy's... if it was we would never get anywhere.

Steve
Which stabilization software are you using?
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Sep 06, 2011, 01:54 PM
Danvers Mass
Joined Apr 2005
119 Posts
Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
It normally happens after you do a firmware update and then try to calibrate the transmitter channels, at least that's when it happened to me. Do what it says in the manual. Power down the WK-M including unplugging the USB and shut down the Assistant. Then bring everything back up and the error should disappear. I had to do this several times on one instance to get the error to disappear. The important part, I think is no power to the WK-M including USB. I hope this works for you.
You were right, I had to reset everything and it was at the time I was doing an upgrade. Thank you for your help greatly appreciated.

JERRY
k1dfd is offline Find More Posts by k1dfd
Old Sep 06, 2011, 02:06 PM
Danvers Mass
Joined Apr 2005
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRyder View Post
You may have to reduce the end point adjustment on the mode switch channel. Connect to the assistant and make sure all three modes turn blue when selected, if manual and GPS don't reduce the endpoints for the mode switch channel until they do. I found 100% was too high in my case and wound up around 85%, then I was able to do the compass calibration where it wouldn't work before because toggling the mode switch didn't put it in calibration mode.
After reducing the end point adjustments on the mode switch a little bit each time I finally got the correct endpoints and it was just on the very edge percentagewise of being able to switch modes now we seem to have everything running up to snuff the way it should be. And the GPS hold seems to be real good holding quite tight even in a slight breeze may be 2 meters. Thanks for your help, it took quite a lot of time changing settings and finally right on the edge it seemed to respond okay.

jerry
k1dfd is offline Find More Posts by k1dfd
Old Sep 06, 2011, 02:33 PM
United States, MA, Marlboro
Joined Nov 2004
65 Posts
How critical is it to accurately measure where the center of gravity is, 1) at all, and 2) in all three axis?

When I setup my WKM last night, I pretended that the CG was in the middle of my air frame and continued with the setup procedure. I know this is not optimal. That said, I don't know if it's worth going through the pain of determining the CG down to the nearest centimeter either.

Joel
Joel Rosenzweig is offline Find More Posts by Joel Rosenzweig
Old Sep 06, 2011, 02:43 PM
Discipulus est prioris posteri
Joined Jun 2011
346 Posts
to the (real) DJI Wookong owners... whar kind of ESC, type of multicopters, weight and Motors are you using ???
protowax is offline Find More Posts by protowax
Old Sep 06, 2011, 03:22 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Rosenzweig View Post
How critical is it to accurately measure where the center of gravity is, 1) at all, and 2) in all three axis?

When I setup my WKM last night, I pretended that the CG was in the middle of my air frame and continued with the setup procedure. I know this is not optimal. That said, I don't know if it's worth going through the pain of determining the CG down to the nearest centimeter either.

Joel
I only measured the pitch CG, I always try to get it as close to the center of the frame plates as possible. If the CG is off in the roll axis it's probably going to fly like crap anyway and there shouldn't really be a reason why the roll CG is off enough to be noticeable unless you're loading up one arm with a lot of stuff that probably shouldn't be there.

On the Y6 I have the luxury of being able to slide the camera mount and battery back and forth on the mounting rails so getting the CG in the middle was actually quick and easy, the rest of of it I just measured from the center point and used those numbers, seems to be fine with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by protowax View Post
to the (real) DJI Wookong owners... whar kind of ESC, type of multicopters, weight and Motors are you using ???
Avroto 2814-11 motors, DYS 30 amp ESC, 11 x 4.7 props, Y6 configuration, 4S 5000 battery, RTF weight around 6 to 6.5 lbs estimated with AV130 cam mount and GoPro. If I can figure out a way to put it on my little kitchen scale I'll get an accurate weight but it feels pretty close to the Droidworx Hexa that weighs in right around there.
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Sep 06, 2011, 04:49 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,904 Posts
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Sep 06, 2011, 05:22 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
7,872 Posts
Great morning for flying. Almost no wind and temps in the high 70's. I ended up lowering my gains today. Right now I am at 110, 140, 105. I am still getting an intermittent 4-6 inch drop while in position hold. It is odd, it will be holding fine then the copter drops slightly. I am hoping that one of the videos will show it. FPV was a disappointment. My signal kept dropping. Next time I need to bring my high gain antenna and rethink the transmitter mounting. More to come.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Photogrammetry Solution
Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:10 PM
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,171 Posts
Say RTRyder what flight times are you getting with the 4S 5000 packs and what brand do you use.

Michael64
Michael64 is offline Find More Posts by Michael64
Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
Start watching at 1:22... This is where I add in post stabilization. You would think I have an onboard servo to stabilize the camera.... but in fact the camera is STATIONARY and fixed to the plane...
Wow, busted. That looks exactly like what they have going
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 06, 2011, 07:00 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
Wow, busted. That looks exactly like what they have going
You guys are just wonderful.... I will leave it like this.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 06, 2011, 07:18 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael64 View Post
Say RTRyder what flight times are you getting with the 4S 5000 packs and what brand do you use.

Michael64
Blue Lipo, decided to try them a while back and the first two worked well enough that I bought 4 more http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-5000mah-4s1p-148-20c.html

Flight time is 8 minutes on both the Y6 and Droidworx AD6 heavy lift although the Y6 seems to use a bit more power probably due to coax motor setup and possibly a bit more weight overall.
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Sep 06, 2011, 07:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
You guys are just wonderful.... I will leave it like this.
The problem isn't really with whether you post-stab'd it or not.

It's the method of presentation. How many weeks people have been asking for on-board video from WK-M? It took several batches of >real customer orders< before some non-biased onboard video from a paying customer showed up.

Then people are asking for ground view video for the gimbal test vid. Is that also hard to do? I'm sure more than one of you has a cellphone capable of video recording. Point it out there, and post both vids and all the haters will go away immediately.

You're selling something expensive that seems to perform as advertised, but the attitude of "we've been doing it for 6 years so we're always right" and repeatedly ignoring requests of people ready to drop $1.3k is somewhat puzzling. How many times do I need to ask about adding PPM support? mag-based 'carefree' mode has been mentioned a couple times. Point of interest/camera follow has also been added. How about serial link for adjusting gains/whatever through remote telemetry. All questions brought up (some more than once) and ignored.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 06, 2011, 07:35 PM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
Which stabilization software are you using?
??? Haha none.

My WooKong hasn't arrived yet.

BB
borneobear is offline Find More Posts by borneobear